Salmon on in Umpqua?

S
SmallieWorld
I am going to go to Sawyers Rapids and try to land some early Fall Salmon; has anyone heard if they are in yet?

F
FishSchooler
Oh they are here all right! Its peak time baby! :lol:
Edit: I think...

Last edited:
A
ArcticAmoeba
FishSchooler, you really need to pay attention to what the post is talking about. He is asking about the Umpqua.

SmallieWorld - I have a few friends who like to fish "The Loop" section and really get the guides itchy. They pull out some real lurches on jigs, a lot of big fish actually; and according to them, the run has not "started." That being said, they have caught some Jack, and seen a few "early risers" taken, as well as having a couple big ones on, only to break off on the ever ominous debris in a certain hole they fish. But nothing compared to the peak on that river, past Elkton it gets hot for a while, not so much in the short section of "the loop." Still some monsters roam the Umpqua. Persistence, good gear, and bait is what is sworn by these guys. Give it a little while, maybe as early as a week...It could be better, so they say. Hope you find some of those early monsters that run before the packs down there! Just thought I'd relay some info from some really excellent anglers down there...

F
FishSchooler
Oops... :shock::rolleyes::(:think::confused::naughty::lol:

S
SmallieWorld
Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up A.A. I'll go give it a whirl on thursday and friday.

M
Mustangdan23
Well did you go? I know the fish are there cause they are up here at River Forks like crazy, should be real good for the next month or so. I still haven't been able to get on one cause the damn steelhead keep eating my stuff. Caught about 5 small coho though nothing over probably 3 lbs though.

W
windburnt
Any updates yet? im going there tuesday. Hopiing it will be worth the drive.

L
LuckyStrike
I am heading down tomorrow. I will report back.

W
windburnt
LuckyStrike said:
I am heading down tomorrow. I will report back.

f

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
Sorry to hear you payed for a guide. You have a boat and enough experience and info to go get em yourself. Want to get back down there soon. Whatever holiday weekend we just had I seen a lot of boats catching fish.

L
LuckyStrike
I also didn't do well. Lots of jumpers. Got schooled by a couple of guys pitchin spinners. Sea lions did very well.

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah im just going to wait for the plunkin season. Next year i will try for fall chinook more down there instead of the siuslaw. Does any one know anything about tidewater springer fishing.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I can't believe they allow plunking on the Umpqua with the few hatchery fish returning. I was watching some of the plunking last year and it made me sick, gut hooked fish, others getting banged around on the rocks and floating down river. It seems like it should be saved for rivers with large runs of hatchery fish instead of a river 90% natives. Hopefully it changes this year and some hatchery fish show up!!

T
Thuggin4Life
steelhead_stalkers said:
I can't believe they allow plunking on the Umpqua with the few hatchery fish returning. I was watching some of the plunking last year and it made me sick, gut hooked fish, others getting banged around on the rocks and floating down river. It seems like it should be saved for rivers with large runs of hatchery fish instead of a river 90% natives. Hopefully it changes this year and some hatchery fish show up!!

Are you ****ing r*tardard? That river has a long history plunking. I fish alongside guys that have been doing it for a very long time. The guy who showed me how has been doing it for so long the oldtimers that used to sneer at him come over and ask him questions and try to bs with him now. That is when the make it because of health issues. There are some olt time plunkers on that river. Never seen a gut hooked fish. And get many fish that spit the hook before you can even get a hook set. Even had fished come unbuttoned right at the net. As for natives there are natives in every river and they used to allow the retention of unclipped fish and need to reopen it since odfw can't carry out there end of the deal with clipped fish. Plunking takes a lot of skill and technique on the contrary to what most think. You must have had a bad experience plunking. I have caught more natives than hatchery fish along with most who i fish with and have never seen a native killed or even mortally wounded. Filming yourself fighting a fish you are not going to keep just to look cool and stressing it out and wearing it down instead of releasing it makes me sick knowing it is most likely going to die. I will plunk this river even harder this year and continue to do so as long it has fish in it.

Last edited:
S
steelhead_stalkers
It was more of a rant from seeing some bad stuff in the past. Not saying you fish like this.

Plunking is known for hooking fish deep because they have lots of time to chew on the eggs or bait, of course you will have fish come off but the way that fish are handled at some of those spots is not very good. I'm not saying where you plunk that happens but it is a problem on the Umpqua and probably 90% of the fish are natives and plunking is not a good way to practice C&R. There are guys who do know what they are doing and stay close to the rod, to be on the fish fast, as well as net them in nets that don't hurt the fish but it is rare.

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
I do fish like this. Every winter I plunk the Umpqua. One of my favorite fisheries if not my favorite. I was always under the impression that as soon as the fish realizes that its chewing on a spin glow the try to spit the hook and they do. If they just came up and swallowed my presentation I would have caught 3 times the amout of fish that I have. I tend to get side tracked and not get to my pole in time or forget to get the slack out before a set. Sometimes they set themselves but I have never seen one gut hooked. Not saying it doesn't happen but its less than more.

M
Mad dog
steelhead_stalkers said:

Huh??? What??? I believe Thuggin' is talking about springers! Of which the vast majority are hatchery fish destined for Rock creek! The spring run is easily 80% hatchery fish. Over 14,000 counted at Winchester dam! Sorry you have a weak stomach, but damn!!! I don't think you know what you are talking about???

T
Thuggin4Life
Mad dog said:
Huh??? What??? I believe Thuggin' is talking about springers! Of which the vast majority are hatchery fish destined for Rock creek! The spring run is easily 80% hatchery fish. Over 14,000 counted at Winchester dam! Sorry you have a weak stomach, but damn!!! I don't think you know what you are talking about???

No we were talking about plunking for winter steelhead which happens to be my favorite winter run and way to fish for steelhead. But your right he has no idea what he is talking about. As for springers I do want info thanks. I just started trolling tidewater for fall nooks this year mostly on the siuslaw and fall coho at siltcoos and tahkanitch(spelling?) and tryed reedsport once. i want to know if you imploy the same tactics for tidewater springers as you do in the fall. I know people plunk the river year round but my spots are more suited for winters and only plan on plunking the winter run and using my boat for fall and possibly spring. Anyone who has trolled for springers anywhere please speak up.

M
Mad dog
Thuggin4Life said:
No we were talking about plunking for winter steelhead which happens to be my favorite winter run and way to fish for steelhead. But your right he has no idea what he is talking about. As for springers I do want info thanks. I just started trolling tidewater for fall nooks this year mostly on the siuslaw and fall coho at siltcoos and tahkanitch(spelling?) and tryed reedsport once. i want to know if you imploy the same tactics for tidewater springers as you do in the fall. I know people plunk the river year round but my spots are more suited for winters and only plan on plunking the winter run and using my boat for fall and possibly spring. Anyone who has trolled for springers anywhere please speak up.

Ohhh.....Got ya now! :) I thought you guys were talking about Salmon. Sorry! Just kind of irks me when specialized, elitist method guys start whining about something they don't like! Most years probably 40% of the Umpqua winter steelhead population are hatcheries anyway! 7,000-11,000 winter fish going over winchester dam the last 10 years, and that is beside the spawners the use the tribs on the main or the south! Lot's of fish! No reason to take the 5 wild fish per season limit away on the Umpqua. Geez, let them poor plunkers keep a few!

Everyone plunks the main because most of the winter in a normal year it's blown! It tends to run very muddy most seasons for long periods at a time. The locals have become very good at plunking from years of doing it.
Thuggin', most people plunk the main for springers, whether from the shore or anchored from a boat in the slots spinning herring. Occasionally, when water conditions allow guys backtroll quickfish or other plugs with good success. I don't know what they do in the tidewater for springers.

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah me and you are in the same boat. thanks for the info I guess i will just show up and troll and see what other guys are doing if there are any other boats out. I am curious though where is the dam at?