Salmon fishing on Siltcoos

E
eugene1
Thuggin4Life said:
If you are to switch to trout then better be obvious about. Like smaller rod and not the same gear you were using for coho. Also might not want to be fishing in a boat still targeting coho or even fishing in the coho crowds. Some people just need a hole in there boat and a broken rod.

good point,we were legal and intend to keep it that way! I have no sympathy for people who fish outside the regs.

Reactions: beaverfan
M
mikeredding
eugene1 said:
I'm big but not that big, although my boat is just under 15'..
No offense to you also. I thought that you asked me if I had a big DUDE on my boat and now I realized you said RUDE. And then you thought I called you Bid Dude. Sorry man, had that one all mixed.

As far as your original question. I have a 70hp Johnson

E
eugene1
mikeredding said:
No offense to you also. I thought that you asked me if I had a big DUDE on my boat and now I realized you said RUDE. And then you thought I called you Bid Dude. Sorry man, had that one all mixed.

As far as your original question. I have a 70hp Johnson

No worries, I thought we were mis communicating too! got my fish drying and the smoker going. Life's good.

We call our evinrudes 'rudes for short. Not my main, but i got one of their little ones.

all good,

S
Salmon Dude
What good is the Picture going to do? Call the sheriff and have them sit back with binoculars. They love writing tickets. I have done that with sturgeon poachers on the Columbia and the Wilamette.
I wish you luck.

J
JeannaJigs
Salmon Dude said:
What good is the Picture going to do? Call the sheriff and have them sit back with binoculars. They love writing tickets. I have done that with sturgeon poachers on the Columbia and the Wilamette.
I wish you luck.

That's fine on the Columbia and willamette, that are in the middle of civilization. But this lake is out of the way from everything. Lane County sheriff patrol has maybe ten officers on duty for the entire county at any given time, Max. They won't come out to your house for a domestic disturbance, they sure aren't coming out to the lake to sight people in with binoculars. It's completely unrealistic. Just get pictures of the boats making sure you have the registration numbers in there, registration numbers are the only thing they can followup on.

C
CoastieFlo
Yeah Lane County wouldnt come out, it would be OSP out of the Florence office. Your best bet is like Jeanna said, get lots of pics and then even if no one can come out and meet them at the boat ramp, they can take your info and follow up and possibly cite them that way. Also Forest Service can cite people and they have 4 LEO's out of the Reedsport office that drive up and down 101 on a regular basis.

J
JeannaJigs
I'm not sure about forest service being able to issue fish and game citations, but they'll certainly issue you a citation go aprox $150 if you park for five minutes to use a bathroom and don't pay the day use fee at forest service day use sites. I think it has to be osp or the county to issue fish and game citations. The county does go out there, there's county boats Rollin up on people every now and then. Had them check my fish and tag a couple times at the dock when they were launching, but for the most part in recent years there has been very little law enforcement going on there, or anywhere for that matter. Bottom line, there's bigger fish to fry.

D
DYJ
Good luck with changing it. While we pulled up on Saturday there was an OSP officer with his boat, gettin ready to put in. We haven't had a boat inspection before so my buddy hollared him over and as he was checking us out I asked, "so what's the law on these guys fishing after they catch their Coho?" He told me, bassically, they just watch what people have in the boat when they come in and it better be only one adult coho per person. Then he said a lot of times people will do real good catching the Jacks out there so thats probably why they keep fishing, or they are targetin different species after they catch a Coho. His attitude towards it was very relaxed. So I doubt calling in a boat that "group fished" till they hit the limit is gonna help, unless you actually see them keeping more then their one coho per person. I don't think this is right at all

If I catch my one and I want to continue to fish, I might toss worm and a sliding weight out there and leave the rod in the rod holder until somethig takes it. Even though I am still using my Coho rod, I think that makes it clear enough that I am not Coho fishing anymore, and I have caught rainbows that way in Fiddler Creek arm.

Another interesting thing about the OSP officer, is we never saw him on the water after he put in. And we fished in with all the other boats for Coho. What's the point of having an officer there if he doesn't even patrol where 90% of the boats are?!?!? We found that odd.