Salem area fishing

O
outboardfever
I am being relocated to the Salem soon and would like to know about the Willamette river in that area.
I have a 16' Lund, is the river deep enough for power boats and what type of fishing will I find in the area?
thanks for any help

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the forum and the neighborhood (sorta). Yes, the Willamette is deep enough for your boat. I'm sure the more informed members will chime in after they get home from work or fishing. Don't overlook the Santiam River, which is close to Salem also. Again, welcome aboard! :hi:

M
Modest_Man
Do you run a prop or a pump? During low summer flows we run the Willamette with a pump. Portions are doable with a prop, but you're going to destroy some props/lower units figuring out how far you can go and at what levels.

18406ej
18406ej
Welcome to OFF, OBF.

I enjoy banking the Willamette in town, and have managed to land a Steelhead or two. There is also a fair population of hard fighting Bass, unfortunately offset by the b-stardly population of bait-nibbling, pacifist Carp.

Salem has a great dock and landing on the West side of the river (Wallace Marine Park) that is sufficiently deep for launching almost all year. The dock itself is removed from Fall until the following early Spring.

Don't forget that the Santiam River, Detroit Lake and Big Cliff Reservoir are within a pleasant driving distance of 20-45 miles from Downtown. Life is good here.

Welcome again,

Eamon

O
outboardfever
Thanks for the info. I run a Merc 75 prop. Never had to sweat shallow rivers, I guess i'll need to start thinking about it.
Kokanee are my main intrest, just having a river so close is way too convienent.

F
fphowell
I have a 16' boat with a 25 and 6 motors. In the summer you can only go up or down the Willy about a mile or two and then it's prop bottom scrapping time.
So beware. Now if you launch out of Boones Ferry Marina in Wilsonville or Roger's Landing in Newberg you won't have that problem.

R
rainORsnow1
outboardfever said:
Thanks for the info. I run a Merc 75 prop. Never had to sweat shallow rivers, I guess i'll need to start thinking about it.
Kokanee are my main intrest, just having a river so close is way too convienent.

If you're interested in Kokanee, that's my main stay as well, then you're in luck! Green peter is close by and is one of Oregon's best kokanee lakes!
Detroit has them as well, but the bag limit is included with the trout limit and they are hard to find. G.P. allows a 25 fish limit in addition to the trout limit and if you're lucky you may hook into a chinook!

As far as the upper willamette, the boat/prop situation has been pretty well covered. I'll add that small mouth fishing is down right good in some spots and if you fish it long enough you can find sturgeon all over and may even learn to hook those tough to catch upper willy springers. There is coho in the fall as well as great trout fishing in and around down town Salem.
Good luck!