Rogue wild and scenic

T
troutjunkie88
I'm going for a backpacking trip in 1-2 weeks to the rogue. Going to hike from grave creek boat ramp to foster bar (illahe). Never been to the rogue nor do I know much about the fishery. Bringing a 5/6 weight fly rod, any residential trout in there? I know there are salmon and steelhead runs, not really targeting the hawgs just looking to see if there will be any evening trout fishing at camp. Thanks

Reactions: Throbbit _Shane
T
Throbbit _Shane
find out when the half pound steelhead are in there and go then.

E
eat, sleep, fish
I imagine there will be some trout and half pounders around. There will also be winter steelhead and springers moving through. Be ready for a fight cause while targeting trout you'll have a really good chance to hook up with an adult steelhead. Just hope we don't get anymore rain so the river comes into shape.

M
Mad dog
Realistically, Steelhead will be your best chance for hooking up in March. I drove by the G.P. section of the Rogue this week and it was blown, pretty muddy! It is going to need a week of dry weather.

R
Razz
7 .76" of rain in the last 36 hours just a little weather report.Yes 73/4" of rain

T
troutjunkie88
haha right on thanks for the responses. Wasn't expecting the river to be in good condition, but that's alright the trip wasn't planned around the fishing, guess I'll have to come back another time.

G
gordo
With regards to the hiking area... there is TONS of poison oak in the area! Just be cautious. I've also heard bears are no strangers to the area also. Nothing to fear, but just make sure you take care of all your food stuffs. Bear canister, hanging food, etc. I can't say I've seen a bear down there, but I can attest that I've run into the poison oak! Have fun. That's a great early season hike!

S
Snapper Slapper
Coming back from Medford today-Rogue is high n muddy still.As far as critters been close to bears,seen cougar tracks,mucho poison oak...Only been down the trail about 3 miles but hav fished it off n on 4 many years.Don't know yur schedule-but there's a nice cabin at Whiskey Creek ta keep ya dry if needed.Steelhead,Springers r in the river.Havn't been able 2 fish it due 2 rain-rain-rain since last month.It's beautiful in the canyon-breathtaking.We were doing well steelheading till all the high water.Good advice hangin yur food in a tree at night!Hope this helps-wana make the trip yur planning 1 day before I die n these old bones can still do it n enjoy it.