Rogue/ South Coast steelhead endorsement and tag WT*

C_Run
C_Run
So I just heard this and what I can figure out is that it's$2 to fish for steelhead from Elk River on south. $10 to retain wild (not that I do anyway). So Elk but not Sixes? You can fish with the $2 endorsement and still tag hatchery on your regular tag, or what? So help @jamisonace . Am I reading this right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jamisonace
Papa J.
Papa J.
I'm trying to figure this out too, new tags for Rogue basin. Any sea lawyers want to try and explain it?

• Haha
Reactions: troutdude
kemfish
kemfish
I read it as:
To fish for steelhead in the area defined by the map on pg35 of the regs, you need the rogue/south coast validation (along with a regular license and a combined angling tag). You could add a hatchery tag and use that for extra hatchery fish as well. Hatchery fish entered on either tag , but you need the combined tag to legally fish.
To harvest a wild steelhead in the designated area you need the rogue/south wild steelhead tag. This allows you 1 per day and three wild total for the year. Must be entered on this tag.

Elk and Sixes both appear to be in the designated area.

I've been in OR two years and reading the trout and salmon regs is still quite the chore. I check every time I go out just to make sure I have them straight and there's been no in season adjustments. Also carry a hard copy in my car. Sometimes the in season changes seem to conflict with parts of other regs which makes it tough. Just 10 days ago I ran into 2 guys leaving the Winchester crab docks with a limit each. Tried to about the closure, but one guy was adamant that the season opened Dec1 (ocean commercial season or ocean for uncontaminated areas I think). I told him I think he read that wrong and pointed out they were the only ones crabbing in what is a super popular spot all the time. Just gave me a whatever and left. Oh well, domoic acid brain damage for them I guess. The crabbing is apparently really good though, they were only out an hour for their limits. Amazing how many are around when nobody can harvest them.

I appreciate ODFW trying to tailor the regs to each and every waterbody, but geeze that makes for complicated regs.

Reactions: Papa J.
jamisonace
jamisonace
C_Run said:
So I just heard this and what I can figure out is that it's$2 to fish for steelhead from Elk River on south. $10 to retain wild (not that I do anyway). So Elk but not Sixes? You can fish with the $2 endorsement and still tag hatchery on your regular tag, or what? So help @ jamisonace . Am I reading this right?
I haven't read it yet but I did hear it was from Sixes South.

I guess I better buy my license and tags today so I'll need to figure it out.

Reactions: Papa J.
jamisonace
jamisonace
I just bought it. I only added the harvest portion and it prompted me to add the $2 license. You can buy the $2 alone but if you want the $10 tag you have to buy the $2 thing as well.

C_Run
C_Run
So, at the time I made this post, I had only read about the changes in a newspaper article. After looking at the map and reading the regulations, it makes sense. I bought the $2 endorsement in case I do get a chance to fish in that area.