Rod and reel advice?

B
Bullitt
I'm looking for advice on rods and reels for koke fishing using downriggers. I'm working on getting my new downriggers installed and I'm probably going to need a couple new rods and reels specifically for this since I have not really fished for koke's before this way.

What is preferred, spin or casting?

What brands and model are folks using. I'm thinking a slow action light or UL rod is what is needed but I have no idea what is out there.

Thanks.

G
GregV
Hello,
Thought I would give you my 2 cents. I like an UL casting style rod with a good level wind reel - Shimano, Abu, Daiwa etc. I prefer to use 4-6 lb. mono. I know some folks who use lighter braid with a mono or fluoro leader but I have found that the release tends to eventually fray the braid as it is pulled from the release.
Rods you could check out are 2 from Lamiglas - CG70DR, a 7' 2 pc., and the FC76UL, a 7'6" 1 pc. Also St. Croix makes one - PC76LM, a 7'6" 1 pc. Also I build rods and make one for this with the guides spiral wrapped to lessen the torque on the rod when it is loaded and these rods are always loaded when in the downrigger. They do cost quite a bit more but they are nice. The most expensive one of the three above is the FC76UL, next is the St. Croix and the least expensive would be the Lami CG70DR. I have checked out the blanks for all of these and built on the St. Croix and the Lami FC76UL and found them excellent.
Anyway just wanted to give you some info. I do quite a bit of kokanee fishing over here in Montana and prefer downrigger fishing for them over jigging, drifting, or flatline trollling. Over here anyway, I have found the bigger ones prefer the deep stuff.

Good Fishing/Catching to you, Greg

C
CaptKirk
Okuma just came out with a new Kokanee Special rod you might want to check out. 7'6" 4-6lb light action 2 piece. Can't wait to try them out. Bimart stocks them and under 50$.

B
Bullitt
Thanks GregV. Good info. I'm glad you mentioned the braided line. I use braided line on all of my boat rods and was thinking some 12# or whatever the smallest test is would work. Guess I''ll ponder upon that for a bit. Sounds like I'll go with a casting setup which would be my preference anyway. Probably go with a Diawa Strikeforce. I build my own rods too but for now I'd like to start with something off the shelf since I'm not sure how much Kokanee fishing I'll really be doing. I could see where the spiral wrap would be killer for this.

captKirk - I'll check those rods out too. From some other searchs I've found many like the Diawa spinmatic UL Kokanee rods also. Thanks.

C
capblack
be very very careful, this is a very addictive form of fishing. before you know it, youll have 7 of everything that says kokanee on it, and 3 of everything that looks remotely close to anything that says kokanee on it. then your boat will be cramped, youll buy a bigger boat, then youll get more stuff that says kokanee on it and on and on and on. Im currently attending KAA classes(koke-aholics-anonymous) twice a week, but im getting better. I was going through withdrawals, but I think ill have another boat by this weekend, and then if you can't find me, ill likely be at my favorite spot for the next 5 or 6 months(Green Peter). all joking aside, you will have a blast, its one of my favorite type of fishing. I can't imagine how fun it will be once I actually start catching them on the regular. good luck, and be sure to let us know how you do, Brian p.s. look around the forum, there is a ton of great kokanee info
Bullitt said:
Thanks GregV. Good info. I'm glad you mentioned the braided line. I use braided line on all of my boat rods and was thinking some 12# or whatever the smallest test is would work. Guess I''ll ponder upon that for a bit. Sounds like I'll go with a casting setup which would be my preference anyway. Probably go with a Diawa Strikeforce. I build my own rods too but for now I'd like to start with something off the shelf since I'm not sure how much Kokanee fishing I'll really be doing. I could see where the spiral wrap would be killer for this.

captKirk - I'll check those rods out too. From some other searchs I've found many like the Diawa spinmatic UL Kokanee rods also. Thanks.

D
Derek
CG70DR from Lamiglas is what I got awsome rod $55 bucks atleast 2 years ago at Bi-Mart gota order it though takes about 3 days to get usually. And for the reel its a 4000 series C3 Abu Garcia. Fishermans Wharehouse stocks a cool Kokanee reel same as the 400 series C3 prety much. I will probably end up gettin one just for the heck of it.Abu-Garcia Kokanee Custom Reel :: Fisherman's Warehouse Online

C
crappie1
Okuma makes a nice light 7 1/2 ft. casting rod. I haven't used them yet so I would be intrested in what everyone thinks of then. i have had good luck with other Okuma rods. Their reels are a diffrent story. These rods I bought at Bob's in Longvue Wash. They were $33 apiece. Im sure they are in any larger sporting good store.
I am a novice at Kokanee so take my recomendations with that in mind.:D

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to all of you newbie's! Glad to you have on "OFF".

Lot's of GREAT advice and suggestions. Way to go.

Bullitt, if you ever pass through Sweet Home...maybe on your way to coax some Kokes outta Green Peter...stop by DanDee Sporting Goods. It's on your left just as you get into town. The guys that work there can also answer a LOT of your Koke Kwestions and also have LOTS of rods n' reels in stock.

Good luck on your Koke Kwest.

B
Bullitt
Update - I picked up a couple of Lamiglas CG70DR's from Bi-mart for $50. Had to go to 3 different stores to get them tho. My local store had one and I've had one on order for 5 weeks and it still has not come in. :rolleyes: For reels, I went with some small Diawa casting reels that are due in on Thursday. I really want those Abu's from Fisherman's Warehouse but I cheaped out for now. Money has suddenly become a little tight at my house. :( I also decided I will start with mono (P-Line CXX) and see how that goes. My new Downriggers are mounted and with any luck I'll be on a lake somewhere this weekend at least for a day.

Troutdude, I will definitely stop there if I'm in the hood. I've been doing a lot of reading on various forums and gathered there was a store near GP. Thanks for the info.

Using DR's is all new to me so I'll try and find a not so busy place to fish until I figure these contraptions out. :D

troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome.

If you don't already have one, you will want a good fish / depth finder too.

And once you find a "school" and get some fish or hits, swing your boat around and go back through the school a couple of times (as long as they are still there and they are hitting).

Have fun!

troutdude
troutdude
Lamiglas rod @ Dan Dee in Sweet Home

Lamiglas rod @ Dan Dee in Sweet Home

Hey gang,

I just stopped by Dan Dee Sporting Goods in Sweet Home. They had a sweet 7' 3" ultralight Lamiglass casting / trolling rod, for $60. They also have some specialty hand made lures and other rigs specifically made for Kokes too!

You can find 'em on Facebook.

Good luck.

F
Fishydog
Lamiglas CG70DR

Lamiglas CG70DR

Just bought my Lamiglas CG70DR from Bi-mart for $40 :shock:
They are currently running a deal for $10 OFF any Lamiglas rod, better hurry.

Troutski
Troutski
Fly rod blank

Fly rod blank

I broke down and went out to Glenn Wicks in Creswell and had a 4wt fly rod blank turned into a trolling rod. Dichroiclure built it and place 13 guides on the 11 foot rod, this thing is a total blast, long handle. So far I have caught Land Locked Chinook, Kokes and Rainbows on it, the only back bone is the handle. I put a DepthMaster Gold line counter reel on it with 8b Braided main line and 18 feet of 6lb Fluorocarbon....you can't help but smile.
Over the years I have tried quite a few rods and reels designed for Kokes and in IMHO this thing is worth every cent. Pops off the Downrigger in a split second and because the rod is a fly blank the soft mouths of the Kokes don't pose a problem...my catch rate has improved 90%.
The only other rod I have tried with any where close to the same action was the through the blank (guideless) rods, but the waters I frequent have tons of floating forest products and these rods tend to collect the finer particles inside the blank; a real pain to clean. Also the thing looks so weird...but works very well on the soft mouthed Koke.
No matter what you chose, keep this in mind-the fish have absolutely no idea what you are using:D.
Tight lines

Chuck

troutdude
troutdude
Fishydog said:
Just bought my Lamiglas CG70DR from Bi-mart for $40 :shock:
They are currently running a deal for $10 OFF any Lamiglas rod, better hurry.

Good deal!

BTW, is that a casting / trolling rod...or a spin rod?

troutdude
troutdude
Troutski said:
No matter what you chose, keep this in mind-the fish have absolutely no idea what you are using:D.

What? Do you mean to tell me, that my dad lied to his trainee???

ROTFL

Troutski
Troutski
Nodded off

Nodded off

No - not at all; he merely nodded off for a moment and forgot to finish his sentence;)

Chuck

F
Fishydog
troutdude said:
Good deal!

BTW, is that a casting / trolling rod...or a spin rod?

It's a casting rod, special built glass rod, for koke trolling on a downrigger.

troutdude
troutdude
Wow. That sounds really SWEEEET!

B
Bullitt
FWIW - I'm very happy with the Lamiglas CD70DR's. Hard to beat at the price and frankly they seem to be just about perfect. I'm also happy with the Diawa strikeforce 100 reels. The fast retrieve sure is nice. Anyway, I've got 2 trips under my belt and so far the equipment I've got seems to be working well. It's now just a matter of the captain getting on the fish. :)

troutdude
troutdude
It sounds like youse guyz are like me: I prefer a 7 or 7.5' rod for Kokes.

Yesterday, I stopped in at the fly shop in Lebanon (the guy that also sells custom bikes and stoves). They sell TFO rods in there. Dang, those are nice! And pretty affordable too (at least, when compared to Gary Loomis' former rods).

But, they can custom order any TFO rod style that you might want. One thing really stumped me though. A dude has recently placed a custom TFO order. It was for a 9' Koke rod. That left me begging the question...why would someone want a 9 footer for Kokes? Any ideas?