Riverside (Gott'em)

P
PDXKush
Sick Pics Ian. Amazing form :). So I took a drive to the Cowlitz River Dam in Washington with 2 different guides on their day off to get some springers but everyone on the river including us got skunked today except for a couple of JAck's pulled by 1 boat...Not even one Strike. So that's 3 days in a row of skunking for me. Reality is setting in and it's making me feen for the Chrome ! I did however land me a beautiful 7 foot Lamiglas rod @ The Factory Outlet in Woodland Wa. Gonna be using it as my trout pole and a backup for drifting for steel. On a cool note, Watched about 10-15 Bald Eagles own the spot and The most Amazing Sunrise of my life looking above Mt. St. Helens this morning. And last but not least an amazing Deer crossing the river. Overall, it was an amazing day on the water. I'm gonna take tomorrow off and get some sleep as I have fished the last 5 days in a row. But I'm planning on hitting up the Blair witch hole @ Riverside PArk on Wednesday Rain or Shine. Anyone who is game let's Git R Dun !!

B
bitesetreel
been thinking seriously bout stripping the 8# ultragreen off my winter steelhead rig and replacing it with heavier (10# or 12#) in case I hook into one of those 12# springers that seem to be popping up. From the direction this thread is going maybe I can get away with 8# for summer steel and the occasional nook. I've been told by several folks that the ultragreen fishes 2 pounds heavier anyway. Any feedback?

F
FishSchooler
bitesetreel said:
been thinking seriously bout stripping the 8# ultragreen off my winter steelhead rig and replacing it with heavier (10# or 12#) in case I hook into one of those 12# springers that seem to be popping up. From the direction this thread is going maybe I can get away with 8# for summer steel and the occasional nook. I've been told by several folks that the ultragreen fishes 2 pounds heavier anyway. Any feedback?

Lots of lines fish way stronger than they are rated. 8 lb CXX p-line can hold up to 20+ lbs. I'd guess 8 lb UG would hold up to 14-16 lbs. But some lines are weak as squat. :lol:

A
ArcticAmoeba
I have been fishin 8, and 10 pound leaders all year, and have hooked up about 2 dozen Chinook on 8 lb. UG. And who knows how many, legit, 36-40 inch Steelhead. I normally run 12 pound leader for Chinook, but I have had no trouble with the 8 lb. I even hooked, and banked a 51 pound Deshka River Chinook on 6lb. Dolly gear. It is all about how you play them. And the Deshka lurch only took 15-20 minutes to bring in. You will be fine with 10 pound for everything in the Clackamas.

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
You will be fine with 10 pound for everything in the Clackamas.

Not Everything.... :rolleyes::lol:

A
ArcticAmoeba
I dunno, it is not real brushy, or rocky like some of the AK, and OP rivers, but my largest ever Clackamas fish came in 1997 on 8 pound UG leader. It was a 44 X 27 inch Tule Hen, while targeting Summer Steelhead. Probably close to, if not just over 40 pounds. I think 10 pound is more than enough man! Haha!:lol:;)

P
PDXKush
Dang AA. 40 pounder out of the clack is awesome. When are you gonna show me your tactics??? In due time I guess. :) Hope all is well brother. Peace

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
I dunno, it is not real brushy, or rocky like some of the AK, and OP rivers, but my largest ever Clackamas fish came in 1997 on 8 pound UG leader. It was a 44 X 27 inch Tule Hen, while targeting Summer Steelhead. Probably close to, if not just over 40 pounds. I think 10 pound is more than enough man! Haha!:lol:;)

I meant rocks, logs, and that 100 mile chain of lures that I lost... :lol:

Well. I actually snag more in lakes then in rivers... (besides the columbia/tualatin) :think::cool:

A
ArcticAmoeba
There are big, real-deal Tules in the Clackamas, and they get that big for sure. There was a picture of a guy at the old Jig Hole below Cazedaro from the 80's, that was hung up in the Tackle Shop in Estacada. He was tailing(As best he could) one that was estimated to be 60 pounds. Something like 50 X 30, or slightly larger... Crazy stuff, and the one I fought was hooked by Bob Toman. We were running divers behind his boat that day. And my tactics are just simple Steelhead/Salmon techniques. I just happen to have fished this river once or twice, and remember where fish stack up like cord wood! Haha!

FS, like I said, it isn't real brushy, or boulder-y, but if you keep the fish in the middle of the warter column, it makes successful fighting much easier. Bring them up off the bottom, and keep steady pressure to hold them up a few feet... I want to dive the Clack. See the lure chains, and anchor piles. Also there is a plunker spot that probably has 1000 pounds of lead, all in giant 4-10 oz. sinkers in front of this one rock! Could be a luctritive new endeavor!

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
FS, like I said, it isn't real brushy, or boulder-y, but if you keep the fish in the middle of the warter column, it makes successful fighting much easier. Bring them up off the bottom, and keep steady pressure to hold them up a few feet... I want to dive the Clack. See the lure chains, and anchor piles. Also there is a plunker spot that probably has 1000 pounds of lead, all in giant 4-10 oz. sinkers in front of this one rock! Could be a luctritive new endeavor!

You are always so literal...;)
I want to dive places like George Rogers... :shock: But something tells me that the water wont be too forgiving, but maybe when it is warmer. Diving for lures is just another way of shopping, only cheaper. :dance:

A
ArcticAmoeba
FishSchooler said:
You are always so literal...;)

I know, I tend to be. But hey, whadda ya gonna do right?! And all you need is swimmin goggles, or even better, a snorkel/dive mask to hit places like that. I bet G.R. would be full of jig heads, slip sinkers, spinners, spoons, and fresh abandoned grubs that people snag, before the plastic gets rotted away. If/when you do this in rivers use a safety line, or "lead line." Just a long piece of rope you hold on to, and tie the other end to a rock or tree. It is so you don't get disoriented, and lost downriver from where you ducked under to look for treasure.

P
PDXKush
I'm sooo down to do some diving for tackle. Let me know and I'll get my goggles ready... lol

F
FishSchooler
Water is cold right now though. I guess I could handle it.