Report on Diamond Lake fishing trip

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
Well which would you like

1. The absolute best fishing I have had at Diamond
2. A good day of fishing at Diamond with the most miserable luck
3 Not a single fish and the worst luck I have had at Diamond.

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
I’m headed up in early June so I’m hoping for door #1!

• Haha
Reactions: troutdude
G
Gulfstream

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
Well I took a fishing partner with me an her grand daughter.. I did ok with the GD, but I am not used to the energy of a 9 year old, however my fishing partner knows me very well, so no damage there.. We caught no fish and even though we fished with small treble hooks we got nothing but we did have a couple of hits. I talked with some people who still fished and they had a few. like the other reports I saw most of the catches were with trolling. The water surface surface temp when we got one the water around 9ish was 47.4 and by the end of the day for us it was around 48.6 to 48.8 we fished the kids hole and the only hits we got were at an anchored depth of around 7 to 8 ft. our original anchor depth was around 15 ft. there were few if any fish hitting the depth finder. I use a triple anchor system on my boat and when we pulled anchor there were no weeds even on the bow anchor. The stern anchors are lead that I made in a tin can with an eye bolt and hold my boat pretty well. most of the anchor boats I saw were in the south shrimp beds. I did end up in a spot at the south end that has produced a lot of fish for me and surface temp by the time we got there was just over 48 degrees. we used size 18 treble hooks and garlic power bait with 4 lb leader and had a bit better thn 4 1/2 hours fishing time with only 1 good bite and no hook ups. we could see them playing with the bait but I think the water was just to cold for bait fishing.. The fish alarm at the sound end anchored in about 7 1/2 ft. kept going off and must of the fish were hanging at 3 to 4 feet I had some problems but managed to work through them. When I got to the docks the wind had its way with me and I ruined a prop. The good thing is I have a few spares. Now on to the good part Jo and I have been friends for over 10 years and is close to my age, we are both vets and as it turns out but of us have left foot prints in the land in Viet Nam. We spent a lot of time just chewing the fat and with the bow window closed and the bow into the wind it was kind of nice. The weather did not get windy until in the after noon. When I bought my first aluminum boat I made sure it had a window and canvas so my wife would go with me which she has but not to much anymore. This boat also has window and canvas and as I get into my advanced age I like it. I would rather sit inside out of the weather than bundled up in so many clothes I cannot move and still be cold and maybe wet. The kid with us was not used to boats as she had only been in one and that was las fall and the wind was calmer, I did let her drive for a while and then after her driving was over I did a few tight circles left and right just to show her the boat was safe, after a couple turns she got to where she enjoyed it. I will admit that when I got to the docs I wanted to tie up port side to but the wind said no and I could not handle it and got blown over to tie up stbd side to. I had a really really hard time getting out of the boat as my legs and hips would not co-operate. Jo told me there was a guy from a different boat there to help and I wish to thank him, he was also handy for me to put my boat on the trailer and I wish to thank him for that. If I don't sell I am going to put in another set of steps. I have been fishing Diamond since the early to mid 50's and I guess I am just to stubborn to stop.. Since I got out of the Navy and came back home in 85 I have only been skunked 3 times and yesterday was one of them...

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
oops forgot to tell you, the dinning room is open but like other places seating is limited so don't be surprised otherwise.

troutdude
troutdude
O. mykiss said:
I’m headed up in early June so I’m hoping for door #1!
Are Monty Hall and Carol Merrill still around? Asking for a friend...