Reels for Sturgeon?

A
alex
Could somebody tell me what are some of the best reels to use for catching sturgeon?

S
SNDSLGR
Likely the most popular and imo the best bang for the buck are the Penn 320 or 321.

D
DirectDrive
End cap + educated thumb.
Not sophisticated.

F
fish4life
depending on whether your fishing off the bank or boat. From the boat I would go with a penn320 gti or 321 if you are left handed. I see most of the people off the bank using Diawa sealine reels not sure of model # but they say the ones with out levelwinds cast better, me i prefer the ones with level winds I dont like having to try to level my line when Im fighting a fish or for all for that mater. Some of the okumas look nice but Im not sure how they cast or how well they hold up. One more thing if you are fishing off the bank you want one with high speed retrieve so your sinker wont get hung up when you reel in.

J
John B
I dont know if they are the best or not but I use Shimano speedmaster with a 6:1 ratio, married
up with Okuma or Lama glass rods. I like the faster reels for picking up a lot of line and lead fast.
I also have a Ambassadeur 7000 married up to an ugly stick, that works real good. If your not a
proficent caster the shimanos could cause you some big headachs.

M
Marvin's Guide Service
In heavy water I use a Penn 320 or 321. But in the winter time I like to use lite tackle, so I use my Salmon rods.

A
alex
Thank you everybody for your answers. I fish from the bank. I bought a reel over 20 years ago and have not gone fishing in many years. From reading online I have found out that they make reals know with braking systems and want to buy a new reel. Again, thanks to everyone.