Really new here, no idea

J
Justpeachy1955
Any pointers for a newbi who would love to fish for steelhead? where to go etc.. LOL I don't even know WHAT questions to ask :confused:

R
Roolinghills
Depends where you are and how far you do/don't want to drive...?

P
plumb2fish
With a name like just peachy, Sounds like you already know what to use and are trolling?

P
plumb2fish
If you aren't trolling, peach yarn/corkie shrimp scent works....

J
Justpeachy1955
I'm in the Portland area, was looking at the Wilson River, the Sandy River and the Columbia River. No boat so I am a bank fisherperson(?)
<< ignores plumb2fish

E
eugene1
I was in your shoes too.

1. I got addicted to 4+ fishing forums and read them whenever I could. Absorb the info.

2. Focus on one or two systems and fish the heck out of them. More time on the water will give you experience with different water levels and the run timing.

3. Observe what other people are doing on the river you're on, especially if they catch fish.

good luck,

I
idahojeff
I think you will like the Wilson and the Sandy. There is a few Oregon fishing guides that you will need to go buy to check out from library and absorb. I also recommend learning one technique at a time....don't float, drift, toss a fly and spinner in one day on the water. Not yet. Drifting might be best to start. Get your gear, read your books then hit the water!

Best of luck!

brandon4455
brandon4455
drifting is not even close to the easiest to start with, it can be hard to tell bite from bottom. i suggest 100% bobber and jig.. easiest to learn and it flat out catches fish.

F
flipper
If I were you, I would not ignore Mr. Plumb....

R
Roolinghills
Since you're in portland, I'd say it's a good bet to get comfortable with the Sandy. You can also try a few bank spots up and down the Willamette.. the summer run's just starting up but the falls site shows ok numbers for winters. Not in the hundreds like it was, but there's fish. As far as the Wilson, I've always thought that it's a long drive from SE, where I am.. and the highway gets blown out with every storm. I know a lot of guys who love it, but I've never caught there. If I drive towards the coast, I usually hit NF Nehalem.

Columbia's good too.. I just don't know any good bank spots in the area. One of my favorites is on the Columbia in Rainier... I'll be heading out there soon. Especially for the springers.

B
Berg03
I love with Wilson River, so much great water to hit. I started with bobber and jig, and i can't put it down because of how hot it has been for me. Although i do tie my own jigs, so when i catch a fish on em i love it even more.

brandon4455
brandon4455
I would have to side with berg03 here..the wilson is tailor made for a jig fisherman... awesome river to fish im pretty sure it would be easier to figure out then the sandy

J
Justpeachy1955
Thanks for the help you guys

I
idahojeff
Hmmm...drift fishing is hard? Interesting...

M
Mad dog
Justpeachy1955 said:
Any pointers for a newbi who would love to fish for steelhead? where to go etc.. LOL I don't even know WHAT questions to ask :confused:

Go to Bi-mart and buy some how to books on Steelhead fishing! Once you have read them, go steelhead fishing, when you don't catch any fish come home and re-read them!!! Seriously!!! Bi-mart has books available for every type of steelhead fishing! Drift fishing, plug pulling, side drifting, fly fishing, bobber and jig fishing....Hell! I think Jed Davis even wrote a book about spinner fishing for steelhead! A book about spinner fishing for steelhead....who would have ever thunk it? Except, maybe for the fact that Bill Herzog wrote a book about spoon fishing for steelhead? A book about spoon fishing for steelhead, that's even dumber than a book about spinner fishing for steelhead! Bill lost me a number of years ago when he broke down and cried over a gut hooked fish that he accidentally killed while spoon fishing....Had to have Nick Amato take care of his fish because he was so shook up over the loss. It was some kind of crap like that anyway! It's in the STS archive's somewhere I'm sure! That's when I cancelled my subscription to STS! Bill and Jed are buds and spoon fishing and spinner fishing are just about one and the same anyway!

Seriously, Peachy! Get some how to books, find a bunch of people crowded on the river....ones that Actually are catching fish!, and watch their technique! Be leary of internet advice! It'll be trial and error! Go to a good river and watch and learn!

D
dtikey
As well I would also not ignore Plum to fish because I fish with him a lot and peach is our favorite corkie and there is useally peach in our yarn balls as well.He just has a different way of saying it.

J
Justpeachy1955
Thanks Mad Dog, I have been watching a lot of you tube vids. Buying books is a great love of mine, space tho is very limited. I think I'll hit up the library.
@ dtikey, granted, Plum did have a different way of speaking. Thank you for explaining things.

Still, I like to hear from people who have caught steelheads themselves, the types of things ( see, not even sure WHAT to call the set up) that hang off the poles, where, why they choose the spots to fish ...

Last edited:
J
Justpeachy1955
My picture is me, a few weeks ago, sturgeon fishing off the Columbia river, first time fishing since I was a kid with a trout pole, a worm and a sunny lake bank, Nope didn't catch anything but sure had a good time.. either time