Questions on purchase of fly line (please)

B
bakercity
I have been given three fly rods and reels. They all are marked 6wt. In shopping for fly lines I was very surprised to see the cost involved. Has anyone used any of the $12 line that is manufactured in China? Thank you for your help in selecting lines.

W
waco
Don't do it, line is the most important part in fly fishing after the rod. My first fly fishing outfit was a cheap deal, and I did OK but after getting a better one, (better rod, line and reel) I can cast much better and present the fly better to those trout, especially dries!!! Anyways IMO if you can afford it get a better quality line.

Reactions: everett464
S
Spydeyrch
waco said:
Don't do it, line is the most important part in fly fishing after the rod. My first fly fishing outfit was a cheap deal, and I did OK but after getting a better one, (better rod, line and reel) I can cast much better and present the fly better to those trout, especially dries!!! Anyways IMO if you can afford it get a better quality line.

Agreed! :clap:

Get a good fly line. Go to a fly shop and ask to cast a different makers of 6wt fly lines. They will totally help you out.

-Spydey

M
mezzfin
Sell one of the rods and get a quality line, for sure!

C
ChezJfrey
I'll give you my perspective:

I have a mediocre rod and a mediocre reel...the only thing I concerned myself with was getting a line that is fantastic for my intended application. I figured if I can get the cast effectively and easily to the fish with a good presentation, that's all I need and I'll be in a good position to figure out the rest.

The right line for how/where I fish has made a world of difference for me.

Reactions: everett464
F
FishFinger
Maybe this is just an old habit on my part, but I always select fly line one wt heavier than the fly rod I'm using. 5wt rod/ 6wt line, 8wt/9wt... ect.

The thought being the extra weight helps with added distance when your trying to really shoot it out there.

S
SteelyStalker12
Ditto to everyones comments thus far, but I must say that getting a weight heavier in fly line CAN be a recipe for disaster; AKA a broken rod (notice how I said "can" there.) Anyway, I agree to an extent with what @FishFinger said, but if you're new to the sport I would not recommend it. If you aren't sure what your action is on your rod or the type of blank it is made from, you could be putting a line on there that will break a rod quicker than you'd think - and most likely its when theres a 20" rainbow sipping dries in place that would require you to bomb a cast haha. Anyway, just my 2 cents! Good luck!

p.s. If it hasn't been said already, get the nicer fly line :whistle:

T
Tinker
ChezJfrey said:
I'll give you my perspective:

I have a mediocre rod and a mediocre reel...the only thing I concerned myself with was getting a line that is fantastic for my intended application. I figured if I can get the cast effectively and easily to the fish with a good presentation, that's all I need and I'll be in a good position to figure out the rest.

The right line for how/where I fish has made a world of difference for me.

X2 I had decent line on the fly rod/reel package when I bought it, and when I changed to the costliest line I could afford it changed everything dramatically. I still don't cast like a pro, but the (much) better line solved a lot of what I was struggling over with casting.

O
OnTheFly
$12.00 dollar fly line? Never heard of or consider using such a thing. You'll do a lot better with better stuff. Let's say you go out and pick yourself up a $100.00 dollar fly combo with rod, reel and line which, btw, is a great thing to start out with. With that equipment you will eventually reach a plateau on your skill level. You won't believe the increase in your ability once you try higher quality fly fishing gear. It really makes a difference.

C
ChezJfrey
OnTheFly said:
You won't believe the increase in your ability once you try higher quality fly fishing gear. It really makes a difference.

Seriously.

Hey, it's only $12, so pick it up. Then take that rig and test it side-by-side against a setup with a higher end line and it won't take long to figure out what's up. I doubt there will be any question.

B
bakercity
onthefly said:
$12.00 dollar fly line? Never heard of or consider using such a thing. You'll do a lot better with better stuff. Let's say you go out and pick yourself up a $100.00 dollar fly combo with rod, reel and line which, btw, is a great thing to start out with. With that equipment you will eventually reach a plateau on your skill level. You won't believe the increase in your ability once you try higher quality fly fishing gear. It really makes a difference.
the $12 fly line is found on ebay. It is made in china and is advertised in several weights and cofigurations.

B
bakercity
chezjfrey said:
i'll give you my perspective:

I have a mediocre rod and a mediocre reel...the only thing i concerned myself with was getting a line that is fantastic for my intended application. I figured if i can get the cast effectively and easily to the fish with a good presentation, that's all i need and i'll be in a good position to figure out the rest.

The right line for how/where i fish has made a world of difference for me.
what is the thought on cortland lines, rio lines and s. Ang. Line???????

T
Tinker
The quality of the fly line is the most important part of the fly-fishing setup. Skrimp on reels. Save a few pennies on the rods. Pay as much as you can for the fly line... It has to be properly weighted, properly tapered, and properly surfaced. Screw up any one of those and the line will do nothing but frustrate the hell out of you.

Go with the $12 ebay line if you want. Let us know when you're selling the rods?

T
Tinker
bakercity said:
what is the thought on cortland lines, rio lines and s. Ang. Line???????

I changed-out Scientific Anglers AirCell for their Professional series of lines - 3x more $$$ - and it was night and day. I don't see the "Professional" lines advertised or available online anymore, so maybe it was discontinued. That would be my luck...

Don't know Cortland. The only other person I know, personally, who fly-fishes doesn't like RIO but not because of performance. She says it costs too much. Not sure compared to what, but she's the one who recommended the SA Professional line to me.

E
everett464
Did anyone ever recommend a fly line here? Its been forever, so I hope you bought something and have been slaying fish.

None the less, assuming you are looking for a general purpose line (nymphing and drifting dries for trout) I like a weight forward line. I will recommend the following lines in the following price points:

<$50 - Rio Mainstream Weight Forward Trout Line
A little more $ - Rio Gold WF
Lotta more $ - SA Sharkskin WF

All three of these lines will be effective in a lake,river, or stream and will throw nymphs, dries, or rigs. All three can be criticized as to general or specific performance, and if you are looking for a line to perform any specific task there are almost certainly better recommendations. That is to say, these are my recommendations for non-dedicated spool lines. Good luck - let us know what you end(ed) up with.

Everett