Question about gear

A
ArcticAmoeba
Joe's carries North x NorthWest, but another excellent rod, for dirty cheap are the NorthRiver sticks that Fishermans sells. I used a buds 8-12 after I grenaded my Lamiglas, and it was a Coho monster. Got put through its paces, and it is still as good as the day I first used it.

Just for reference, the green NxNW rods are Lamiglas blanks, the all black versions are a superior Okuma blank, nice and fast. And the other color is almost not worth the 40-70 bucks. Just so you know.

If you are into spinning gear, the Celilo is great. I have one for sidedrifting, and a little bank drifting, in a 9'6" 6-12. One of my favorite Steelhead drift rods for under 100 bucks.

N
nw5785
finally picked up a rod an reel.. went to a diff bimart in town and found a nice abu garcia 8'6 medium action 8-12, came with a decent reel better than any other combo i saw out there for the same price not the plastic crap! :) fishing this weekend!!! can't wait

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
For Springers. Go with a 10-20, or better yet, an 8-15. Having a little extra backbone is nice, but an 8-12 will handle just about any Spring Chinook in the local rivers.

8-12 for nooks? that means I can use my steel rod for nooks since it's 8-14?

S
steelhead_stalkers
Berkley Buzz IM8 Steelhead and Salmon Rods are very good!!

Troutski
Troutski
Good luck...

Good luck...

nw5785 said:
finally picked up a rod an reel.. went to a diff bimart in town and found a nice abu garcia 8'6 medium action 8-12, came with a decent reel better than any other combo i saw out there for the same price not the plastic crap! :) fishing this weekend!!! can't wait

Good luck this weekend, hope you catch a Personal Record... Breaking in a new rod and reel on the same trip - Priceless..:dance::clap:

Chuck

N
nw5785
i am going to try it out.. the rod seems to have good back bone so i dont see any problems if so i can go get a diff rod, i was able to get the combo for about the price as the reel.

A
ArcticAmoeba
FishSchooler said:
8-12 for nooks? that means I can use my steel rod for nooks since it's 8-14?

Yes. I run a 15 pound main. And 10-12 lb. leaders, on an 8-12 for Clackamas Springers.

Troutski
Troutski
Butterflies...

Butterflies...

nw5785 said:
i am going to try it out.. the rod seems to have good back bone so i dont see any problems if so i can go get a diff rod, i was able to get the combo for about the price as the reel.

I see butterflies in your future :cool:..., I still remember my first Steelhead that I set out on purpose to get. Second hand rod and a brand new Mitchell 300, just got chills typing it. Could not believe my luck, all by myself and did everything perfect...great day on the water and quite the feast if I remember correctly.
Again, tight lines and be safe on the water.

Chuck

N
nw5785
I have caught 1 steelie in lifetime and it was a jack only around 5-6 lbs, have serveral salmon and those were amazing catches.

hoping for a lot more in my near future ;)

F
fishnquest
nw5785 said:

I like abu garcia. go get em. and good luck with the new gear.

N
nw5785
should i feel confident fishing with 12 lb mono line on this?

i like drift fishing.. would i have more luck floatin? i dont own any jigs lol

J
JeannaJigs
nw5785 said:

I run 10# braided, but when I am not running a float, I run 10# mono. 10 has never broke on any fish I've ran into on the 'slaw. I float jigs and roe, but I haven't successfully landed a non-native fish in a month...so...I can't say that floating will increase your chances.

I'm praying to the fish gods tomorrow that the weekend will be productive, I'll remember to put in a good word for you as well.

N
nw5785
thanks, as well i.. I will be heading out to the siuslaw sunday if anybody wants some company let me know

Last edited:
F
fourgotten
nw5785 said:

IMNSHO, if you're planning on floating bait or jig, you really should go with braid... it just makes it so much easier to mend your line and help keep a dead drift. 10-lb. should be fine, but I use 20... 'cause I can.

I don't mind drifting the bottom with mono, but with mono, I can't mend my line for Schlitz...

A
ArcticAmoeba
Drift fishing with a boyant line is a hassle, and ruins the presentation you are trying to achieve. So mono will actually work better. But float fishing, like you said, it is very effective to keep drag off of your float, and gear by mending your line. High quality braid is essential if you are going to dedicate a reel to it.

Y
yellowjacket
Dry Fly Dressing

Dry Fly Dressing

ArcticAmoeba said:
Drift fishing with a boyant line is a hassle, and ruins the presentation you are trying to achieve. So mono will actually work better. But float fishing, like you said, it is very effective to keep drag off of your float, and gear by mending your line. High quality braid is essential if you are going to dedicate a reel to it.

I read somewhere about using dry fly dressing on the first 20-30 yards of mono to keep it on the surface & out of the current drag for float fishing. Any info if it is effective? :think:

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
yellowjacket said:
I read somewhere about using dry fly dressing on the first 20-30 yards of mono to keep it on the surface & out of the current drag for float fishing. Any info if it is effective? :think:

Sure is. Silicone based dressing is what a lot of fly anglers use to keep their leaders afloat in current, but that is usually only about 8 feet or so of line.

Last edited:
Y
yellowjacket
Siuslaw Gear

Siuslaw Gear

;25969 said:
I run 10# braided, but when I am not running a float, I run 10# mono. 10 has never broke on any fish I've ran into on the 'slaw. I float jigs and roe, but I haven't successfully landed a non-native fish in a month...so...I can't say that floating will increase your chances.

I'm praying to the fish gods tomorrow that the weekend will be productive, I'll remember to put in a good word for you as well.

I see JeannaJigs spends some time on the Siuslaw. A little off the steelies but any input on salmon in the Siuslaw whitaker / wildcat area and gear for that fishery. Or is lake creek the "high traffic" area ? And any "usual " timing on that run?

Y
yellowjacket
line dressing

line dressing

GraphiteZen said:
Sure is. Silicone based dressing is what a lot of fly anglers use to keep their leaders afloat in current, but that is usually only about 8 feet or so of line.

Yes on the fly leader but what I was curious about was the info - may have been steelhead university- was to treat your line on your spin or casting rig that you are float fishing. And to treat 60 feet or so depending on your avg distance floating. Pocket fishing with 8-9' rod will keep the line out of the water but the runs/riffles would be the the need for keeping the line on the surface to mend & avoid current drag that may pull your gear away from your targeted water.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Just the other day a bud and I were stealth float fishing some beautifully clear water. Perfect color, but high visibility. WE both greased up the first 40 feet or so because we were fishing a small stream. We use simple un-scented Mucilin. Fly flotant does not work near as well as Mucilin. And when you mend, the line floating does not snap near as much as trying to mend sinking line. Those snaps can spook fish, so I would try Mucilin. Works wonders for us drift fishermen. Haha