Question about floating the lower Wilson for cutties

T
TimberTodd
Has anyone floated from Sollie Smith down? I was thinking about launching my nucanoe at Sollie Smith and casting flys for cutties but I am not sure what the river is like on down. Is it slow water as to allow me to paddle back up to the launch?

H
hookbait
If no one chimes in and you sally forth in exploration let me know how it goes. I was thinking of doing something similar with my wife in our canoe, but paddling upstream until we couldn't then floating back down.

G
GDBrown
I know that Sollie Smith is considered the reach of tide but I'm not sure what it is like at this time of year. It might be assumed that until the rains come and the river rises it would be low and slow! Just my thought. A Kyak or nucanoe might be ok but not sure I'd want to row a drifter all the way out if I couldn't get back up!

T
todd_brooks
I've not floated that section because of the tide, I've been told you really don't want to do it unless you have a motor. I'd recommend either rowing up and then working your way back down or just put in up higher like at the guide shack and taken out there. You can get a shuttle for 15 bucks which works out very well. GD has a good point too, that if your into rowing a bunch of flat water you might be fine if you watch the tide and don't put yourself in a position of having to fight it. You can get a shuttle for that too I can find the number around here some where if you need it.

T
TimberTodd
Thanks for the help guys.