Pulling Plugs for steelhead

N
ninja2010
FishSchooler said:
Theres a good slot right in front of inbetween the concrete things in the clack at riverside to run a plug through.... Ninja I need that pic again! ;) Show em

oh... okay...

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i11.photobucket.com\/albums\/a163\/ninja2010\/DSCF0011-1.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i11.photobucket.com\/albums\/a163\/ninja2010\/DSCF0010-1.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited by a moderator:
F
FishSchooler
Last time you mentioned your tackle boxes which was around 1.5 months ago, you mentioned you had 4... :shock: 3 more in that short of a time? I only have a overcrowded 1 tackleboxes with around 5 seperate spools of line that I got for free... Even one very nice guy named gary at the LO joes gave me like 40 or so yards of very nice leader line for free, and 3 1 oz weights to practice casting with my baitcaster!:cool: I have to wait until I get older, or as my parents say "Wait until you get rich and then you can buy whatever you want." (That is if I get rich...)

That was quick ninja... you must be a real ninja... ;)
Yeah, inbetween those pillars wouldn't be a bad pluggin spot. Just plug that spot with plugs! ;)

N
ninja2010
FishSchooler said:
That was quick ninja... you must be a real ninja... ;)

that's how i roll...

F
fishy4
in the fall i go out with the grandpa on the boat up in the garbage hole wilamette river and this year was trolling bradley wiggle warts in red for coho and my rod got slammed. reeled the sucker in and i figured a big coho. it was a 30 pound nook. i have been so surprised at how many large chinook are actually in there

F
Fishtopher
Beee careful there....

Beee careful there....

FishSchooler said:
Yeah, inbetween those pillars wouldn't be a bad pluggin spot. Just plug that spot with plugs! ;)

Kev, there is a lot of snag in that spot! When I was your age, I used to fish that spot. I thought I was fishing the nicest hole in the river. And it could be, but, I did hook a springer (or a big nasty winter) there, just behind the outside pillar, but was extremely dissapointed when my fish wrapped around either one of the pillars, or some other obstruction under the water. I refuse to even look at the water there now. If I were you, I would find a spot where you have a better chance of landing your fish when you do hook it!;)

A
ArcticAmoeba
The only time it is even worth it to fish those pumps, is when they are pumping. You are guaranteed to hook a fish on the outsides of the boils. Fish do use them as cover, but it is nearly impossible to fish proper. And why would you, the whole riffle above the bend is the best holding water down on that particular set of parks.

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
The only time it is even worth it to fish those pumps, is when they are pumping. You are guaranteed to hook a fish on the outsides of the boils. Fish do use them as cover, but it is nearly impossible to fish proper. And why would you, the whole riffle above the bend is the best holding water down on that particular set of parks.

Yeah, but if you have a dad like me... :rolleyes:

"There is no difference! Stop changing baits! There are no fish! Its the same in slow water than fast water!" :rolleyes:

A
ArcticAmoeba
Yup, just roll yer eyes at him! Haha.

Reactions: Fishtopher
M
mgdguy
FishSchooler said:
Yeah, but if you have a dad like me... :rolleyes:

"There is no difference! Stop changing baits! There are no fish! Its the same in slow water than fast water!" :rolleyes:

:lol: LOL, that sounds like something my dad would say too. Don't argue with Dad, he knows everything! Just ask him! ;)

F
FishSchooler
mgdguy said:
:lol: LOL, that sounds like something my dad would say too. Don't argue with Dad, he knows everything! Just ask him! ;)

Oh boy... if I didn't argue, I wouldnt be fishin at all... "Just go to the store and buy fish!"

M
MorningBite
Actually, cast and retrieved plugs can work very well. A side planer is better, but if you don't have one, you can try several other techniques. You can do the cast, swing and retrieve method, which is similar to the technique used when spinner fishing from the bank. You cast it out, and reel in just slow enough to make the plug swim as it swings across the current. Take a step down stream after each cast and it will have a similar effect as backtrolling it, in that it will push the fish out of their preferred holding water which will make them attack the plug.

You can also wade out into a small stream, let your plug out a ways and walk it down stream slowly. Now you are backtrolling in a place that has very likely never seen a plug. This works very well :cool:.

Reactions: FishFinger
F
Fishtopher
Yep yep.

Yep yep.

I couldnt agree more with the walking the plug down a creek or a wade-able section of river:clap:! Method has produced for me everytime I try it.

*knock on wood*

F
FishSchooler
Fishtopher said:
I couldnt agree more with the walking the plug down a creek or a wade-able section of river:clap:! Method has produced for me everytime I try it.

*knock on wood*

That is if you have waders... :rolleyes: Wading is something I do only in the summer... even though I did it yesterday...
I havent tried it, and I havent really fished any creeks that allow fishin, perhaps I will try it next coho season at eagle creek

J
JeannaJigs
I limited this year on Tahkenitch casting and trolling wigglers for coho. Have yet to use them for steelhead, but I find plugs to be infuriating at times when limited to bank access only, I got a side planer but it's such a pain in the ass, and I have yet to catch anything, so, I am losing faith...but...I will continue with the effort, and hope it pays off. If only my crappy little mirro craft were a drift boat...sigh. My dad keeps saying "steelhead don't like hardware, you won't catch $hit if you're not using roe" .... the last four I've caught have been on spinners or jigs. The old men addicted to drifting bait fail to see the light...and have the most dank smelling hands. One day they might figure it out, but alas I hope not, that means more oppurtunity for meeee.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
JeannaJigs said:
...My dad keeps saying "steelhead don't like hardware, you won't catch **** if you're not using roe"...

Hey Jeanna congrats on the fish and keep em hookin up!

On another note, we have a number of kids who also enjoy this forum along with many other types of person. Because of that we try to keep our hands as non-stinky as possible so if you wouldn't mind editing your post just a tad it would be appreciated by all.

Tell your dad some of the biggest steelhead I have seen caught were taken on a hook and a single orange bead!

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
GraphiteZen said:
Hey Jeanna congrats on the fish and keep em hookin up!

On another note, we have a number of kids who also enjoy this forum along with many other types of person. Because of that we try to keep our hands as non-stinky as possible so if you wouldn't mind editing your post just a tad it would be appreciated by all.

Tell your dad some of the biggest steelhead I have seen caught were taken on a hook and a single orange bead!

ahem... :D Im fine with it... cause some of my friends at school say... Im used to it...:rolleyes:

F
Fishtopher
Next time cover yer ears when you hear a potty mouth Kev. Just put yer ear muffs on.;):lol:

M
MorningBite
Jeannajigs,

I'm assuming by your knickname that you are familiar with Jig fishing? If not, you should check it out. It a great way to fish runs that are difficult with sideplaners...

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
I do jig, I get a lot of flack for it from my buddies that are drifters, but, I lose less gear, and catch more fish :). It's an amazingly simple way to fish any kind of water.

J
JeannaJigs
GraphiteZen said:

I'll work on it.