ProGlow Bait Cure VS. Amermans

L
luv2fish
SRO_Slayer said:
Anyone or anything will catch coho. Not trying to be a ass! Maybe not the best determination 4 the egg cure!;)

hey slayer....not anything or anyone can catch coho.....yes anything and anyone can snag a coho ( don get me wrong )...i caught seven silvers this year and none of'em came easy...they rated from 20 plus pounders to 14 pounds.....and i have to constantly work on bait and lure and change spinners....

A
ArcticAmoeba
Coho are very easy to get to actually bite...It tkes a sifferent plan, and action as well, but to each their own. Not a lot of Coho anglers are willing to put in the time, and energy to hookup a fish it seems. I hooked up well in excess of 100 pounds of processed, canned fish on black yarn and bare # 3's. Bait out fished all other methods I tried 4.73 to 1, you don't want to know how may fish got whacked on bait... Luv2Fish, I would love to believe that you got a couple over 20 pounds. The average size this year was double the normal returns weight, but it was just over 11 pounds, in the realm of a 12 pound average. A 20 pound E.C/Sandy Coho would have been in excess of 42" in length, and almost a 24" girth. The largest we caught this year was 19 pounds, and well over 39 inches and the largest Coho ever, that either of us have come across was a 22 legit pounds. And if you are spinner fishing for Coho in the Creek, there is your reason you only bonked 7. Think about how many spinners get thrown at Dorsals in the first 1000 feet of Creek... Hot baits in the A.M. and small presentations like 2-4 berries small. It is probably my favorite fishery, because it really is easy to get them to eat anything. As long as it doesn't smell like humans, they will eat it. Fun days getting to see over 2000 fish mosey past you, and getting to pick through fish to find the freshest ones to take to the pressure vessel and can! Anyhoo, a lot of folks think the Coho get lockjaw...Wouldn't you if you ran the same gauntlet? They are not as easy as say a Sewer Troot, but for the amount of work I put in to capture these fish, and how many pounds of canned Salmon I ended up with.. Totally worth it.

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
Coho are very easy to get to actually bite...It tkes a sifferent plan, and action as well, but to each their own. Not a lot of Coho anglers are willing to put in the time, and energy to hookup a fish it seems. I hooked up well in excess of 100 pounds of processed, canned fish on black yarn and bare # 3's. Bait out fished all other methods I tried 4.73 to 1, you don't want to know how may fish got whacked on bait... Luv2Fish, I would love to believe that you got a couple over 20 pounds. The average size this year was double the normal returns weight, but it was just over 11 pounds, in the realm of a 12 pound average. A 20 pound E.C/Sandy Coho would have been in excess of 42" in length, and almost a 24" girth. The largest we caught this year was 19 pounds, and well over 39 inches and the largest Coho ever, that either of us have come across was a 22 legit pounds. And if you are spinner fishing for Coho in the Creek, there is your reason you only bonked 7. Think about how many spinners get thrown at Dorsals in the first 1000 feet of Creek... Hot baits in the A.M. and small presentations like 2-4 berries small. It is probably my favorite fishery, because it really is easy to get them to eat anything. As long as it doesn't smell like humans, they will eat it. Fun days getting to see over 2000 fish mosey past you, and getting to pick through fish to find the freshest ones to take to the pressure vessel and can! Anyhoo, a lot of folks think the Coho get lockjaw...Wouldn't you if you ran the same gauntlet? They are not as easy as say a Sewer Troot, but for the amount of work I put in to capture these fish, and how many pounds of canned Salmon I ended up with.. Totally worth it.

Even I hooked one and it jumped and that was the end. I bet they are much easier to catch in the beginning of the season, but later when they are dark red or black, nuh uh no one wasn't getting anything. even snaggers!

A
ArcticAmoeba
I had consistent fishing throughout the whole season, even into the late B-Runners. Coho are the fish that "come off" the most for me, but still they arefun, tasty, and really pretty simple to angle...

S
SRO_Slayer
luv2fish said:
hey slayer....not anything or anyone can catch coho.....yes anything and anyone can snag a coho ( don get me wrong )...i caught seven silvers this year and none of'em came easy...they rated from 20 plus pounders to 14 pounds.....and i have to constantly work on bait and lure and change spinners....

Yes, I guess i should have been more clear! Anyone can snag coho, but I try not to! I use a variety of small presntations too! And yes homemade cures r the best! Amerman's for a store bought cure did me well? Maybe the presentation? Anyways there were some pigs of coho this year and i hear the return will be even greater next! can't wait! Except 4 people who have no idea of what there doing and cast over lines and u know! That's y i hike away ffrom crowds! Less pressure too! I went coho fishing a few times this year and tagged 13 and none that were tagged were snagged! Most days I got my limit! HAPPY FISHING AND GOOD LUCK!!!:cool: BUT DONT GET ME WRONG THERE IS ALWAYS THOSE DAMN FISH RUNNING INTO YOUR SET-UP, BUT ALWAYS LET THEM GO! WHICH IS MORE THAN I CAN SAY 4 SOME PEOPLE I SAW ON THE RIVER THIS YEAR!!!

Last edited:
B
bigdog
Yeah I saw a good amount of them snaggers out there and I feel you on the croud seen. I tend to hike away myself, so do most the people I know and fish with.

Troutski
Troutski
Take a breath...

Take a breath...

Lets not go there.....this is not the forum for this. Everyone take a deep breath and stay focused. This is the " Steelhead Fishing in Oregon > ProGlow Bait Cure VS. Amermans" thread...
Breath in, let it out, now breath in....and so on..;)

Chuck

F
Fishtopher
ArcticAmoeba said:
on black yarn and bare # 3's.
:whistle:This really killed 'em toward the end of the season!!
ArcticAmoeba said:
A 20 pound E.C/Sandy Coho would have been in excess of 42" in length, and almost a 24" girth. The largest we caught this year was 19 pounds, and well over 39 inches and the largest Coho ever, that either of us have come across was a 22 legit pounds.
Largest I saw on the season (and ever) was a 22lb 8oz:shock: at Chinook Landing ramp. Largest on a trib was 19lb on the scale in front of me, and 39 inches at Ceder Creek.
ArcticAmoeba said:
Anyhoo, a lot of folks think the Coho get lockjaw...Wouldn't you if you ran the same gauntlet?
Forget up river fish, theyre money in the bank...The fish that havent even started the gauntlet really while sitting at the mouth of the Clack in the beginning of the run, they are the true definition of a lock jaw Silver, and will not hit anything 999 outta 1000 times! Why do they zipper lip right there?

But I'm with Osmosis on this one. Why even mess with any guides cure on the market? Unless you plan on adding your own twist to it, I believe your better off as a do-it-yourselfer. Ive only cured two batches of eggs ever, but believe that the cure handed down to me is fishier than a lot of other cures on the market. Sure Scotts personal stash would probably blow my cure outta the water,:)cool:eek:r would it;)....) but I dont have access to that.

A
ArcticAmoeba
It is crazy how many different, super simple steelhead cure there are available to the public, for free. The only thing you have to do is supply the chemicals, and do the mixin, and shakin. I always carry a small packet of borax, that has been impregnated in cure in my backpack. If I end up out of, or get very low on bait, and I manage to hook a hen, the fresh eggs, sprink'd in the Super Borax and left to juice a couple hours, is some of the fishiest bait I've ever seen, and used. This is kind of an emergency tactic when the fishin gets hot, and I have used it before, with good results. But this was aparantly an old Sky/Snohomish River guides special secret to getting 6 guys a 6 fish limit in a half a day. But anyhoo, of course Scott's personal stash will out fish anyone else's who doesn't fully understand the logistics, and chemical science of curing baits. There are not a whole lot of ingredients that go into a simple Steelhead cure. It does take a bit of investment, time-wise, and a high school chemistry know-how, but other than that it is just fine tuning after you find the chem combo that you fish the best.

N
nointrntrprts
when i kill a hen on the water, regardless the size of her berries i will fish them with out treating them at all!!! this has outfished any cured eggs that we have brought with us.

the eggs are only good for the day though, i usually only have to go through one skein then cure the other with a simple home cure... 1/3 borax -1/3 white sugar -1/3

A
ArcticAmoeba
Fresh berries are super fishy. I add the cure packs, and Borax, because the cure I happen to be using, for the most part is super cracky. It makes a pod of fish go wild, the bucks bonk at the others, and the hens stir up like crazy. But you are absolutely correct, fresh juicy eggos are far better than any cure available to the public. And you only need a skein for the day, the other always, as you do too, gets a good home cure.

O
osmosis
I hate to say you guys need some serious work on your cures if fresh berries outfish your cure more than just one freak occurance here or there when the fish are nuts.

A
ArcticAmoeba
You are nuts! And all Steelhead are nuts too! Someday I'll get Angela down here and she will set you straight! Ah, not really, but someday, we'll fish together, and I am gonna do this stupid trick, you'll see how well it works for me. And...Angela smells like a damn Grizzly bear. So you can't say she is a lady, and ladies whack more fish. She is a mans man. You'll see someday it will happen...:rolleyes::lol:

L
luv2fish
ArcticAmoeba said:
Coho are very easy to get to actually bite...It tkes a sifferent plan, and action as well, but to each their own. Not a lot of Coho anglers are willing to put in the time, and energy to hookup a fish it seems. I hooked up well in excess of 100 pounds of processed, canned fish on black yarn and bare # 3's. Bait out fished all other methods I tried 4.73 to 1, you don't want to know how may fish got whacked on bait... Luv2Fish, I would love to believe that you got a couple over 20 pounds. The average size this year was double the normal returns weight, but it was just over 11 pounds, in the realm of a 12 pound average. A 20 pound E.C/Sandy Coho would have been in excess of 42" in length, and almost a 24" girth. The largest we caught this year was 19 pounds, and well over 39 inches and the largest Coho ever, that either of us have come across was a 22 legit pounds. And if you are spinner fishing for Coho in the Creek, there is your reason you only bonked 7. Think about how many spinners get thrown at Dorsals in the first 1000 feet of Creek... Hot baits in the A.M. and small presentations like 2-4 berries small. It is probably my favorite fishery, because it really is easy to get them to eat anything. As long as it doesn't smell like humans, they will eat it. Fun days getting to see over 2000 fish mosey past you, and getting to pick through fish to find the freshest ones to take to the pressure vessel and can! Anyhoo, a lot of folks think the Coho get lockjaw...Wouldn't you if you ran the same gauntlet? They are not as easy as say a Sewer Troot, but for the amount of work I put in to capture these fish, and how many pounds of canned Salmon I ended up with.. Totally worth it.[/QUOT

the 20# i'm talkin bout was the same day when i got swept in the current and i belive the fish was well over 42 inches and 24 wide...it was big..tyhe guys on the other side of the river at the mouth of EC..where the river bends...and they were right over the hole...on my side there was other guy who was right over the hole...so i was fishing right next to that boat...and i got that giant on one tiny jensen egg,..red ...and the guys on the other side couldn't believe their eyes when i pulled the fish out....it was a lil dark and evrybody asked me to keep it...but i let it go....you don want to kill a fish which is almost toits end on its own....and i let it go...my camera (both cell and digital got soaked..since i fall in the river and got swept in current) othewise i could've proved it...it was a buck ....
i measure dit with my middle finger and thumb stretched ( the old way to use yards...the distance between middle finger and thumb of right hand when fulkly stretached....)and it came almost 6 times ( total 6 times the thumb and middle finger stretched ).....i hope you got it what i mean....

he next buck i caught rite after that one..around 2:30 or 3:00....that was artound 14 -15 pounds and i measured it same way....both length and girth...
and i usually measure my fish on the conservative side cuz that way i'm sure that the fish is atleast whatever the amount i measured...

my friend even made joke that i should stumble in the river more often ( if thats my lucky charm to catch giants )

lastly..i would love to fish with you......cuz honestly the way you describe catchin coho's..thats awesome.. other than snagfests, i've yet to come across a fisherman who can hook that number of fish in clack or willamette ( or even 8-10 fish a day)..not that i'm doubting your skills...but hey if you enjoy ppl learning something from you..what can be better than that....it is a reward in itself..and i bet u agree with me...

F
FishSchooler
Just picked up 8 oz of eggs, not that many but just to give the brand a try. The name is roy's bait works or somethign like that. The eggs don't look bad, they are more or a red/orange compared to the ones at joes that were just a dark red mush. And the skein feels tougher. Anyone have any experience with this brand?