Pontoon advise/ opinion

N
newt
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a 9 ft pontoon for under $300. I was planning on buying a toon I've seen at Costco. I think it sells for $269 or something like that. I read mixed reviews on Costco pontoons, but I'm not sure if those reviews refer to this specific boat.

I also found a used Trout Unlimited Colorado XT for $300 and a used Creek Company ODC Super Sport 9 for $200. They all look like nice Pontoons to me. The Colorado XT and the Costco boat both have a place to mount a trolling motor, the Creek Company boat doesn't appear to have that feature.

Would anyone like to share their thoughts? Do any of you own one of these boats?

R
RLK
If you plan on using it in the river make sure the bags (the outter part of the pontoon) are of a thicker more durable material, not nylon, a heavier frame and good secure oar locks. And welcome to the forum, good fishing.
Rich

N
newt
Thanks

Thanks

Thanks Rich-

I see you live near the Santiam.

I may need some floating advise sometime too if you're willing. I'm hoping to have my pontoon by this summer and plan to try it on some of the easier sections of the Santiam. I used my old budget 8 footer on the section from Stayton to Shelburn and from Green's Bridge to the Willamette with no problems. I would like to try some sections above Stayton if they're not too tough. I've rafted class 3 and 4 water in a raft and inflatable kayak, but figure I'll stick to class I and II water with whatever pontoon I buy.

Has anyone reading this post bought one of the pontoons from Costco?

RLK said:
If you plan on using it in the river make sure the bags (the outter part of the pontoon) are of a thicker more durable material, not nylon, a heavier frame and good secure oar locks. And welcome to the forum, good fishing.
Rich

R
RLK
If i decide to do much floating this season I'll let you know. Good luck on your boat hunting

F
Finneus Polebender
Have a couple creek co. ones good for ponds ,lakes , and river to class 2 water would recomend fish cat or equivalent for class 3 and up type water .They have the heavier frames and white water heavy rubberized outers, heavy duty oars and locks etc. the creek co. ones are awesome for packing in though very light.

F
fishhunter
I enjoyed my Trout Unlimited Colorado XT it was fun and ithought it handled well.

N
newt
Thanks for the input!

I noticed Walmart has the Colorado online for $338. Free shipping to the nearest Walmart. I'm not sure how it's any different from the XT, it looks fairly similar from the picture.
Walmart.com: Colorado Pontoon Boat: Fishing & Boating
Wholesale Sports in Salem has a Wholesale Sports badged 10 ft Outcast for $500 that looks capable of running class III water. I'm not sure if I need that much boat and if I need to spend that much. I figure I'll stick to class I water mostly, maybe some class II.

F
Finneus Polebender
Never tried a colorado type arent those the ones w/the wheel attached . That feature would be cool been thinkin bout makin some for my toons , like i said do a lot of hiking in to some of our spots . Outcast should more than cover class 3 water they are brutes to solo launch or pack in, especially all geared up. No big deal either but 10 ft is where the invasive tag thing starts I believe and the addition of a trolling motor will require the boat to be tagged . Have 2 trollin motors have not rigged them yet for that reason . Gotta get past the whole will I use the motor enuff to justify the cost thing , the older I get the easier this should be. Spend 95% of my toon time on the river or in the pond

Last edited:
L
lizardman
Ten foot tubes is also where the casting platforms start (and it would be nice to stand up once in a while to stretch). Cabella's routinely has the Outcast "Fishcat 10" with improved rocker (curve to the tubes) complete with a standing platform.... however the fishcat series is not their white water series (however they are stout and talking to the folks at Outcast they seem to agree with me that these toons are stout enough for river running... they just don't recommend it).

I run a Fishcat 9 in rough water (heavy chop on the Columbia caused by wind) every once in a while.

Dave

F
Finneus Polebender
lizardman said:
Ten foot tubes is also where the casting platforms start (and it would be nice to stand up once in a while to stretch). Cabella's routinely has the Outcast "Fishcat 10" with improved rocker (curve to the tubes) complete with a standing platform.... however the fishcat series is not their white water series (however they are stout and talking to the folks at Outcast they seem to agree with me that these toons are stout enough for river running... they just don't recommend it).

I run a Fishcat 9 in rough water (heavy chop on the Columbia caused by wind) every once in a while.

Dave

very true eliminates the one big draw back to small toons ,get tired of sittin all the time