plunkn for steelys"

Diehard
new to sight. hi everybody i was curious if anybody knows when people start plunking for steelys on the willamete river around meldrum bar or clackamette park area ive seen a lot of posts on steely fishn and it seems to me that fishery starts pretty quick like any idea ?:think:

L
luv2fish
Welcome to the site....
I'm one of regular plunkers at meldrum bar and thetime is ...NOW. No really its now..me and my friend were fishing like a week back..and we got bites...2-3 times in like 2 hours...2/0- 3/0 hook....red or pink prawn tail or whole prawn...with a # 4-6 spin n glo...if the water is muddy ( say 2-3 vis), i will use spin n glo with rubber wings...and if the water is clear( 5-6 feet of vis), i'll use the shiny wings or mylar wings....

yopu don need to cast all the way in the river...say 10-15 feet and your good...put a bell on your rod and wait for the sweet music....and when the bell rings....tadaaa....dinner:dance: and yeah...prolly like 6-8 oz weight depennding on the flow....you can cast 12 oz but then it will roll too if you cast too far so you cast 10-15 and less weight..

do u use sliders....??? like double rigs...

Diehard
sliders

sliders

i dont use sliders but im very new to the whole plunking thing right now i just use a pink spin nglow with black tiger stripe and white wings and a pink prawn tail and also some prawn nectar right now im getting ready to build a new rod holder the one ive got sucks know any body that sells them?

F
FishSchooler
Double rigs are awesome, Im a fan of no tangles when casting. And I know how to cast two rigs without no tangles..... The willamette has a strong enough current that that much weight is not enough? I used 2 oz up at the columbia near tanner creek, and I thought it held fine...

L
luv2fish
just get a big steel stake like 2 feet long from home depot...a 1-1/2 inch or 2 " diameter pvc pipe and a two clamps..just tighten 'emn and walla..u have a new rod holder...otherwise spend like 15-20 bucks and buy from fisherman's marine....my wife bought for me one time when i snapped the clamps at meldrum...they are good ..but too bulky.

F
FishSchooler
If it is sand your are fishing from, just get a 4'-5' long piece of pvc, cut it at an angle to get a piercing point, and jam it in there!

L
luv2fish
he's talkin bout meldrum bar....no sand...but your right..that holder works for columbia...

F
Fishtopher
You need one of these...

You need one of these...

Here is the only thing that I have ever felt safe leaving my rod in. NOTHING will pull this out of the ground! Or bend it! Or take my rod! Just kinda heavy.:lol:

Last edited:
L
luv2fish
like i said they are more or less like the one "Fishermen Marine" sells. and he's right , they are too bulky too carry..so i stick with the stake and pvc tube ones..easy to carry..
I've yuet to come across a fish which can take rod out of rod holder, although can't deny seeing rods flying fromthe bank when the fish hits the lure...actually on meldrum one time