Pfluger 1494 1/2 DA - Lines????

S
Spydeyrch
Mornin' to y'all.

I hope everyone is having a great day so far! :D

Question for you, I need a recommendation on a line selection.

I few months ago I acquired a cane rod (bamboo). I cast it a few times with two different lines, a 6wt and a 5wt. I liked the action of the rod with the 5wt line and it handled it just fine. The 6wt kind of felt overpowering to me, but then again, I don't have too much experience with lines, over-lining, line selection, etc. Hence the need for this thread. :D

Anywho, so I have the rod but didn't have a reel or line for it. The rod is kind of older and has that sweet old-school look, feel, and soul to it. :dance: It is awesome!!

I was looking at some reels to put on it but all the modern reels kind of clash with it .... at least the ones in my price range .... :rolleyes:

But then I remembered, when my great-grandfather passed away a year or so ago, my mom was given a bunch of his stuff. One of the things she gave to me. It is a Pfluger 1494 1/2 DA fly reel. It still has the original box (kind of beat up), the instructions on how to change the retrieve for left & right hands, and something else. It has never been used and the reel is in very very good condition!!! I am not too familiar with Pfluger reels but hear the name tossed around here and there from time to time. All I know is that they have been around for quite some time, right?

So I have a reel that I think compliments the cane rood. The reel feels kind of old school to me and so does the cane rod. They look pretty good together!

But now I need to get a line for the setup. I am not sure what the reel is designed for, 5wt, 6wt, 7wt, etc. Is there a way I can determine what line would work better for this reel? I am hoping that a 4wt (possibly under-lining the rod), 5wt or at the most, a 6wt (possibly over-lining) would do the trick.

I realize that really, I could pretty much place the line that I want on it, and in the end that is what I will pretty much end up doing. But reels are typically designed to match a certain line wts or a range of certain line wts.

Any thoughts as to the matter?

Also, I need to figure out which line to go with, as in brand and model. SA, Rio, Airflo, etc....... Any suggestions or recommendations? Again, this is going on a bamboo rod that I will be using for trout fishing on small to medium sized streams/rivers.

Any input you have is greatly appreciated!! Thanks everyone for your help and good luck out there!!

Take care.

-Spydey

J
john montana
I would head to River City, bring the Cane, and cast a bunch of lines...don has a batch usually strung up for test casting. Pick the one that matches that cane rod and slap it on there. you can always go light or heavy on the backing if you need to fill or make room on the spool, and for small stream stuff it shouldn't matter too much. Did you fix those guides on that sucker?

S
Spydeyrch
Thanks John! :)

Nope, I haven't fixed the guides yet. They really aren't too much of a bother though. The one stripping guide is a little loose but that is simple to fix. The other rod, I think it was missing one of the guides on the tip section but it came with two tip sections and the second one has the guide still in place.

The main issue is with that one ferrule (sp?) coming off when I go to take it apart. Remember that? hahahaha :lol:

I am excited to get a line for it because I am going on my first guided float trip at the end of this month and want to take the rod with me and go after some trout with it!! It should be a blast!! :D :dance:

Any other suggestions or thoughts you might have?

Take care man. :D

-Spydey

J
john montana
Good deal...get a line on it and fish the hell out of it. Where are you floating?

Eventually, you may want to refinish it, but I wouldn't have a problem fishing that rod. Sounds like a good match with the pflueger too.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Spydey; I would love to see some pics of your new duo. Sounds like a great marriage! :D

S
Spydeyrch
john montana said:
Good deal...get a line on it and fish the hell out of it. Where are you floating?

Eventually, you may want to refinish it, but I wouldn't have a problem fishing that rod. Sounds like a good match with the pflueger too.

Sweet!! I am excited man!

I am not too sure yet. Either the Willy or the Mac, not sure yet. :think:

I am really hoping that the rod is a good fit with the reel. I am excited to get it out there and try it on the water!!! I hope my first fish on it is very memorable!!! That would be a blast!!!

-Spydey

S
Spydeyrch
Raincatcher said:
Spydey; I would love to see some pics of your new duo. Sounds like a great marriage! :D

Oh ..... believe me .... I will post one once I get a fish! :D

-Spydey

Irishrover
Irishrover
Spydey..... Except for spey fishing all I flyfish with are pflugher medalist...1594 1/2 or 15951/2.....my 1495 1/2 hangs on the wall on my old bamboo rod. The 1495 1/2 does not have the ability to palm drag. The 1500s do. I think they are a great reel, cheap and easy to fish with. Pflugher still makes the medalist. You could use 4/5/0r 6wt line on your 1494 1/2. If you really want ot fish a pflugher I'd pick up the 1594 1/2 for about $25 and use it.

The reel on the left is the 1495 1/2 the one on the right is the 1594 1/2. On the sets of pictures with the spools out you can see the screw that hold the reel together. When the spool on the 1495 is put in the reel you can still see the screws in the rim of the reel. On the 1594 when the spool is replaced the spool covers the screws and comes over the rim so that you can palm drag it.

• 627.jpg
  • 628.jpg
  • 629.jpg
  • 630.jpg
Last edited: