Perfect day yesterday!

C
chrishophoto
With the rivers unfishable, and a short window of good weather, I took my canoe up to Timothy Lake yesterday. The weather was very pleasant, and the fish were going nuts the first half of the day. I caught about twelve to fifteen fish in total, and kept five including two rainbows, one brook, and what I believe were two Kokanees (in shallow water?). None of the fish I caught had those little parasites on them that I saw on every fish at Timothy last summer. I hope it stays that way this year.

The lakes are open!

Last edited:
B
bigdog
Yes it was a great day yesterday to bad the rivers are still brown as they can be. So whats with this you got a pic of the lake but can't give us pics of the fish:protest:

C
chrishophoto
No real trophies, and after gutting them etc, they don't look too fantastic. I'll get some dead bodies up next time for you to look at!

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
Looks like a great day on the lake. i wish we had more real lakes around here. Reservoirs aren't as cool to look at.

G
GDBrown
Thuggin4Life said:
Looks like a great day on the lake. i wish we had more real lakes around here. Reservoirs aren't as cool to look at.

Timothy Lake is a reservoir........ You just need to stay out of sight of the dam and forget the name...

Clear Lake was great yesterday also. OnTheFly showed me how to troll with a wooly bugger and I hooked 15 landed 12 and kept two.

C
Cstylezwayz
chrishophoto said:
With the rivers unfishable, and a short window of good weather, I took my canoe up to Timothy Lake yesterday. The weather was very pleasant, and the fish were going nuts the first half of the day. I caught about twelve to fifteen fish in total, and kept five including two rainbows, one brook, and what I believe were two Kokanees (in shallow water?). None of the fish I caught had those little parasites on them that I saw on every fish at Timothy last summer. I hope it stays that way this year.

The lakes are open!

Thanks for the update chrishophoto! I have never been to Timothy and am thinking of trying it out this weekend. I hope to have as much luck as you did. Where are the good trolling spots? Where should I stay away? What did you use?

C
chrishophoto
Cstylezwayz said:
Thanks for the update chrishophoto! I have never been to Timothy and am thinking of trying it out this weekend. I hope to have as much luck as you did. Where are the good trolling spots? Where should I stay away? What did you use?

The fishing is good just about anywhere around the lake. Are you in a motorboat, or something small like a float tube, or a canoe? I like the northeast part of the lake by the crater creek, and cooper creek inlets, but that is pretty shallow water there. If you are in a motorboat, please respect the others on the lake by noting the 10mph speed limit throughout the lake. In the middle of summer, there always seems to be some A**hole out there who decides to ruin the tranquility of the place by ignoring this, and people like me would much rather those that want to run their boats at speed to stick to the rivers, or Detroit Lake. Nuff' said.

As for what get's the fish biting, I am into hardware (primarily Kastmasters, and Spinners), but when the bite is on, it seams like anything will work out there. Timothy Lake is loaded with crayfish, so if you have traps, you will have an endless supply of bait as well. The fish are not picky there!

-C

C
Cstylezwayz
Thanks for all the suggestions :) I don't have traps but plan to get a couple. Husband loves to eat them so I figured we would try this out. How do you fish with live crayfish? Is it more bottom fishing or can you troll with them? What type of bait works best for crayfish?

I am in a motored boat. Thanks for the warning about the speed limit. I will respect this as this was the reason we bought a boat last year. Hated all the loud racket on the shores. Once we find a spot to troll (or sit), we will be silent as we have an electric on a small 13.5' 1957 wooden home-built.

Do you know which campground has the best boat launch? My trailer is a bit older and I can't just drive the boat up on the trailer when we are done.

C
chrishophoto
Cstylezwayz said:
Thanks for all the suggestions :) I don't have traps but plan to get a couple. Husband loves to eat them so I figured we would try this out. How do you fish with live crayfish? Is it more bottom fishing or can you troll with them? What type of bait works best for crayfish?

I am in a motored boat. Thanks for the warning about the speed limit. I will respect this as this was the reason we bought a boat last year. Hated all the loud racket on the shores. Once we find a spot to troll (or sit), we will be silent as we have an electric on a small 13.5' 1957 wooden home-built.

Do you know which campground has the best boat launch? My trailer is a bit older and I can't just drive the boat up on the trailer when we are done.

Others here would know better than me about how to fish bait. I only use hardware for trout. That said, the crayfish are everywhere!. I think there are several places to launch a boat at the campgrounds on the south side of the lake, and also a spot just on the north side of the dam.

One other thing worth mentioning. Timothy is a notable place for trolling in the deeper parts for Kokanee, but I don't know anything about the technique. I am sure others here will have the answers though if you ask about it.

Have fun! It is going to be a beautiful weekend!

K
kornphlake
Fishing was pretty good this morning, I caught 5 rainbows, all 10-12". I had to be back in portland by noon so I only spent a couple hours on the lake, figures the bite warmed up about 15 minutes before I had to pack it in. The wind had just stared blowing too and I wasn't too excited about paddling against the wind, so leaving on a good note wasn't too tough.

C
Cstylezwayz
Saturday was a good day. Caught 9 on the boat, 2 from shore. Kept 9 Rainbow, 1 Kokanee. Nothing very big though. Had a wonderful time. What a beautiful lake!