Orvis hydros reels

N
n8r1
Has anybody tried the Orvis Hydros Fly Reel? Or even better, is currently using one? I've got an opportunity to buy a gently used one at a great price, but haven't used one at all. Just hoping someone has and could offer me their opinion.

Thanks!

S
Sinkline
I have the Orivs Mid-Arbor Access reels which have the exact same drag design as the Hydros though slightly less robust. I like my Access reels ( I have two sizes) very much. The tolerances are tight and the anodizing is perfect. The drag is very functional though not quite as good as the very top of the line reels but then the Orvis Access & Hydros are considerably lower priced.

If the larger of the three new rods I just ordered will not balance with my Access I am going to buy a Hydros myself.

Randy

Chromatose
Chromatose
I have the Hydros LA ll and the LA IV. The drag system can stop a train. Well balanced reel for the price range. The older models drag washers use to be cork if memory serves me right. Which was problematic. The newer models are now carbon. As of yet ( Knock on wood ) I have had no problems with either of the two reels I have mentioned. As mentioned by Sinkline, the anodizing & tolerances are gr8. IMO you will not be let down with the Hydros reel. May I suggest if you go with this reel be sure to buy a extra spool. Good Luck!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Raincatcher
N
n8r1
Cool thanks guys!

M
Metoman
I've held one at the Orvis store. Seemed like a solid reel for the $. Both that and the Access are the best reels in terms of value.