Opinions for steehead flies.

F

fishingfreak

I am thinking and have been experimenting with making my own drifting flies. I have a few patterns that I will be making up next week. I was just wondering what was some of my fellow OFFers opinions on making flies for drifting? I am not using a fly Rod, but using my normal Casting and spinning gear! Do you think that making flies for Common drifting will be effective or a waste of time? I would definetely like to hear from the more experienced Fly guys and Fisherpeople out there. I will post pics this week on this thread and see what I come up with. If they end up looking like poo tell me I will not be offended. I like constructive criticizm!

Thanks,

FF

B

bigsteel

if your gonna be nymphing i would just use some golden and black stonefly nymphs and various egg patterns.also prince nymph tied on size 8 hook are very effective

F

fishingfreak

if your gonna be nymphing i would just use some golden and black stonefly nymphs and various egg patterns.also prince nymph tied on size 8 hook are very effective

Thanks for the input, I will use the patterns you mentioned above.
So thats what they call it just using standard drift gear with flies is Nymphing? I normally only use size 2 and 4 for drifting. You think I should go to a size 8? I have no clue! I just turned over a few rocks and seen what was in the river for the fish to eat and thought it would be a good idea to tie up some drift flies in the patterns of the resident bugs!

Last edited:
Y

youngbuck307

Yea bro 6s and 8s for ur flys... Only time I'm running bigger than a 4 is if I'm not using a yarn ball. Like medium corkie and bait I run a 2 just for the extra hook gap... FYI egg pattern is a yarn ball just tied to the hook for us non fly guys lol look at Damons web site he ties and sells them bro

F

fishingfreak

Yea bro 6s and 8s for ur flys... Only time I'm running bigger than a 4 is if I'm not using a yarn ball. Like medium corkie and bait I run a 2 just for the extra hook gap... FYI egg pattern is a yarn ball just tied to the hook for us non fly guys lol look at Damons web site he ties and sells them bro

See that was easy!
Thanks Man,
I will check it out.

M

Markcanby

SteelHead Stalker has a video how to tie your own also.

brandon4455

brandon4455

also try leeches theres plenty different kinds of em to choose from . im by no means a pro but i know they can be pretty darn effective. i use to have some old flies from my great grandpa that were packaged and had instructions on how to fish them with a slinky soo i dont think it would be a waste of time. could be very productive in deeper swift water that is hard to use a fly rod in. good luck FF :D

F

fishingfreak

Thanks for everyones input! I will use it all and see what i come up with! I will post some pics and let you guys know how they fish!

FF

M

metalfisher76

And leeches are very easy to tie as well. You should have fun with this. And in a year or 2 you`ll have a handful of flies you won`t leave home without, guaranteed!

P

ProfessorChromology

For winter fishing, the bigger brighter leeches and buggers and bigger nymphs work better. The fish are in colder water and won't move as far for a smaller fly as far as they will in the summer when the water is warmer. Summer flies can be as small as #16 caddis larvae (make sure they are tied on TMC #2457 scud hook - very strong for its size). They are just big trout and they eat the same things their smaller cousins eat. I usually use 24-30 inch leaders in winter, longer in summer when the fish are spookier. Have fun!

F

fishingfreak

Sweet thanks guys. Metalfisher I know I am gonna have now with these Brother! Also I am going to make an order from you but I will need some input. I will shoot you a pm and get your thoughts. Thanks professorchromology I can't wait to see what i come up with and fish them. If I did not have an interview I would be fishing some right now. can't wait.

FF

Top Bottom