Old regulation...

B
bigfootfish
There used to be a regulation which said it is unlawful to hook a fish and then hand off the pole to someone else so the other person could play the fish and perhaps land it. At least I thought there was a mention of that. I just spent some time looking for any mention of that reg but found nothing.
Anyone out there remember an old reg like that?

BFF

troutdude
troutdude
I remember that one. Not sure if it's still in effect. Just might have to call ODFW about that one.

B
bigfootfish
Thanks TD! I was starting to wonder if my memory was going out. I remember that old rule because I had a Game Warden give me a warning in the field about handing off my pole to a youngster to play a fish I had hooked. The Warden could have ticketed me.
Years ago I got a ticket along with a friend of mine for INTENT to fish a closed water. It was the first day of the closed season on that waterbody and we had our dates mixed up, thinking it was the last day of the open season. We had not actually started fishing the lake yet but we were standing on the shore trying to decide where to start fishing.
Later on when we went before the Judge I pleaded no contest and got the fine reduced, but my friend contested it and paid the full fine.
I never could find any mention about INTENT in the Regs. But the Judge convinced me! LOL!!

BFF

18406ej
18406ej
I know it is no longer in the 2011 regs- in fact there is a regulation under "licenses" that contradicts the old regulation. It states: "The angler who landed the fish must record the fish on his or her tag irrespective of who hooked the fish".

Also confirmed with Jason at Salem ODFW who says it is lawful to hand off the rod to anyone licensed to land the fish.

Last edited:
B
bigfootfish
Thanks 1840ej. It always nice to get a good headsup!

BFF