Olallie Lake trout. Can I get some tips?

M
mudram
So the last weekend in july I'm going camping with friends to olallie lake where they have rainbow and brood trout. Can i get any tips about the best bait and hooks and stuff? should i use a bobber or not? that kind of stuff. Thank you!:)

troutdude
troutdude
No matter where I go fishing; I always carry gear, tackle, flies, and bait of all types. That way, I can fish on the surface, mid-range depths, or OFF of the bottom. One must be prepared, IMO, to fish the surface--or any and EVERY depth--for the best chances at success.

Good luck.

M
mudram
Thank you! I don't have a fly rod or reel or any kind of fly fishing gear, just a basic rod and such. I should still be good, right?

N
nativefish
went there oh probably 2 years ago. camped for a couple nights. I took a small single egg hook and used chartrues power eggs by berkley not the gulp ones with about 2.5 ft of 4lb clear colored leader to probably about a half oz weight so i could cast it out. I was tossing out just off the bank from the campground and couldnt keep em off. Then we rented a boat and a couple anchors and went out still fishing, same technique and caught some bigger ones. They tend to eat the eggs and get hooked in the gut, so i always take a ton of hooks and bait so i can just clip the leader and let them swim off hopefully to live another day.

P
perfectg03
Powerbait off the bottom is all you will need. When I used to fish with conventional gear I would use a little 1/2oz sliding sinker, swivel, 18-24 inch leader to size 14-16 treble hook. I liked my bait to be the size of my thumb nail, maybe a little smaller, really just enough to cover the hook completely.

The lake is full of fish and they are very eager to bite. You won't have any issues catching your limit. You should rent a boat and rig the rods similar but with an inline weight instead of a sliding weight. You can ditch the swivel since the mainline and leader connect to the weight. Cut a 4 foot leader and tie that to a wedding ring, I like chartruese and black. Thread a piece of nightcrawler on the hook and cast out behind the boat a ways. Start trolling, you will not keep them off.

M
mudram
thanks for the tips guys now i got a list to buy some gear!:cool:

troutdude
troutdude
You do NOT need a fly rod, to fly fish. I've used a spinning rod, with GREAT success for decades now.

Just tie your main line, to a torpedo bobber (see pic below).

torpedo bobber.jpg

Then tie on 4 feet of leader. Three feet down the leader, crimp on a BB sized split shot. Then, at the end of your leader tie on an Olive Green, or Black, Woolly Bugger or Teeny Nymph. BAM! FISH ON!

Woolly Bugger:

woolly bugger.jpg

Teeny Nymph.JPG

You can get all of those items, for cheap, at Bi-Mart. The trick to this "fly/spin gear" method, is to think SLOW. Then, go even SLOWER.

X 2 on all of the other ideas too. Or, just slow troll with a couple of split shot--and a 1/2 worm on your hook. Easy peasy.

Last edited:
F
FishNinja
Great advice troutdude! I would suggest using a clear bobber and not a yellow one like pictured. Olallie it's extremely clear and I've tried using an orange bobber and most of the fish hit the bobber not the fly.

M
mudram
Thanks guys I appreciate the help!

troutdude
troutdude
FishNinja said:
Great advice troutdude! I would suggest using a clear bobber and not a yellow one like pictured. Olallie it's extremely clear and I've tried using an orange bobber and most of the fish hit the bobber not the fly.

Excellent advice Ninja (for those, who can see the bobber...unlike me...LOL)!

No_Bad_Skunks
No_Bad_Skunks
I can't believed no one mentioned this, but...

Bring

Mosquito

Repellant

The heavy-duty stuff....and lots of it.