Olalla or bust!

J
JeannaJigs
lilsalmon said:
I am OFF for 3 days and I am going to finish mowing the lawn.....whats up with that? There must be some water somewhere that isn't raging and high.

The willamette in town is up but it has great color, so I imagine up higher is pristine.

J
JeannaJigs
mahmichael said:
Glad you guys had a great day.
Troutdude: We should go fishing together sometime soon!! :(
Nice job. Lilsalmon what is the fish in the middle pic? I caught one of those once!

Its an inland great white. Whitefish that is.

Reactions: mahmichael
brandon4455
brandon4455
very nice fish intimidator & troutdude!! some colorful fish, are they all stocked in that lake or are some wild??? i might have to visit that place.

troutdude
troutdude
Yes Mahmichael, we will.

Rose...nice CARP! LOL

Brandon, the fish that Eric caught may have been hold overs from last year.

C_Run
C_Run
brandon4455 said:
very nice fish intimidator & troutdude!! some colorful fish, are they all stocked in that lake or are some wild??? i might have to visit that place.

It's been stocked this year. I went by there to check it out about ten days ago and that's what the folks there told me.

troutdude
troutdude
Yes, it has been getting stocked since February. But, those fish that Eric caught did not look like dinky / fresh little stockers. They had really nice color, and were larger (I believe from 14" to 17"). That's why I would suspect that they may be hold overs. Or, ODFW is just doing a much better job of stocking nowadays.

Due to all of the nasty weather, in February and March, there may be a lot more fish in that lake than usual too. Ones, that would have normally been caught by now.

bass
bass
Great job guys. Way to make lemonade out of the lemons, troutdude! That is a whole lot more fun than the yard work I did this weekend. I pray for rainy weekends. For the most part, rainy = fishing, sunny = yard work :)

jts

brandon4455
brandon4455
well i think im going to visit that place sometime, although they are most likely all stockers those are some large and colorful fish, looks fun!! also noticed one is fin clipped and others are not..is odfw slacking on their clipping or something??? forgot to ass.. eric, were you using a floating line and stripping those buggers? thanks

T
the_intimidator03
Yeah brandon I was using a floating line. My main method was trolling at a decent clip in my float tube altho I did get a few stripping the buggers. Also I found the fish to be down about 6-7 feet or so. I believe that ODFW doesn't clip some of the larger brood stocks and also some of the larger fish stocked in area's that are not suppose to allow fish out of those areas.

brandon4455
brandon4455
trolling is always fun at stocked lakes, you can lay back,relax and catch some fish. thanks for the info

troutdude
troutdude
Another BUMP:

After I had posted my report about this trip; I was still feeling frustrated about the Derby @ Olalla. So, I wrote to one of the peeps in charge at ODFW. I received a very nice reply; and now with her permission have decided to add her response. And I apologized to her, for my harsh remarks earlier. Thank you again, Christine, for your nice reply:

Jay,

I am SO sorry that your leisurely trip to the coast on April 21st turned
into such a frustrating and stressful situation! This was the second
year of our Olalla event, and the first year that we've had to get buses
(due to the high turnout last year). This event is organized by Georgia
Pacific (as they own the property and the reservoir), and ODFW plans and
operates the family fishing area that includes a rainbow trout enclosure
where kids can learn how to fish. William Worman with Georgia Pacific
did an excellent job advertising this event throughout Lincoln County -
newspapers, multiple radio broadcasts, flyers and press releases
(including a ODFW Press Release on -April 17th) - but it sounds like we
should have done more advertising in the valley. We will take this into
consideration for next year, and you can mark your calendar for April
20, 2013.

As the Mid-Coast STEP biologist, I strive to provide the most youth
fishing opportunities as possible in Lincoln County. Unfortunately,
parking is an issue at every single location - with the exception of two
events organized by the Salmon River Hatchery and Oregon Hatchery
Research Center. We just don't have reservoirs with great parking
around here. Olalla Reservoir has the biggest parking lot for fishing
events in the Newport area, but even that parking area completely
overflowed last year. We did have Newport Police volunteers stationed
at the intersection of Olalla Rd and Highway 20 to provide information
and transportation assistance, but I think you probably arrived before
they got there. I think it would be a good idea to post additional
signs along the Olalla Rd to inform people about the event next year.
We never had any plans to tow vehicles, and Georgia Pacific locks the
access gate to the reservoir every single night, so you must have gotten
lucky or arrived later for the last 25 years. There was also no fee to
participate in the derby, so I'm sorry that you were misinformed. The
entire event is free to the public, including the derbies, family
fishing area and kayak tours.

I was glad to hear that your day turned better in the afternoon and your
grand-nieces had a great time fishing. I truly apologize for your
experience and frustration, and we will definitely take your comments
and suggestions into consideration next year. Thank you for your input!

Christine Clapp

Asst District/STEP Biologist

Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
(Newport)

troutdude
troutdude
P.S. Christine would love to hear from any OFFers, who would like to help with next year's derby at Olalla Reservior (slated for April 20th, 2013). They always need extra angling "instructors", to help the kids at the derby.

Send me a PM, and I'll get her contact information to you.

C
Combat Chuck
Just thought that I would confirm that they did put out an effort to advertise. I had planned to go that day but found a warning that it was going to be very crowded. A quick google search for recent reports revealed the ODFW new release. Unfortunately I didn't notice this thread until that night. As soon as I saw it I said "oh uh". Wish I could have warned you guys!

troutdude
troutdude
Hi CC,

Yeah, they posted an ODFW press release on 4/17...four days prior to the event. As I mentioned to Christine; that's just not enough of a heads up. I check their press releases often...and post many of them on here. But, I missed that one. They did apparently, advertise heavily around Newport. But, Christine said she would do more to get the word out in the valley next time.

I'd suggest at least 2 weeks in advance, with their press releases (for all of them). Plus, there were NO signs anywhere along the road (like "Tow Away Zone), etc. They didn't have Sheriff OFFicers/OSP at the Highway turnOFF, until on my way out. Posting those folks at that turn OFF, for the early birds, would have helped too.

Anyway; I was very grateful for her kind response. And the day wasn't a loss. I got to help two nice young ladies catch some trout to take home (over at Big Creek Reservoir). That made the whole enchilada worthwhile!