ODFW trout stocking schedule 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
S
stryker1171
Anyone else taken a look at the ODFW trout stocking schedule 2020 (specifically the Willamette Zone)? I have a few observations. Quite a number of stocking sites have no listings and I am hoping that the schedule is only partially complete. Perhaps the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers schedule hasn't been integrated yet?

For Example, Foster Reservoir has no listed stockings at all! Detroit and Green Peter have a huge number fewer than recent years. Sunnyside park pond seems to be massively overloaded! Anyone else have ant thoughts about the schedule?

troutdude
troutdude
ODFW trout stocking schedule 2020

Wow. I've been following the ODFW trout stocking schedule for decades. I have NEVER seen ANY of it published this early in the year. So give it another month or two for updates IMO. December, January, or even February have been pretty typical. But it could even be later than that nowadays; since there is no longer a March opener.

Golfbum
Golfbum
From the ODFW site:

Dear Oregon anglers,
We have taken down the online trout stocking schedule in order to prevent public crowding at water bodies when we deliver hatchery fish. Fishing is open and we will continue stocking trout but we will deliver on a slightly different schedule and some different locations to avoid a rush of anglers showing up along with the hatchery truck.

We will continue to stock popular lakes and ponds as long as people do their part and continue to use social distancing. We want to spread out angling effort in terms of timing and physical distance between anglers by not sharing our stocking schedule with the public. Thank you for understanding and doing your part to keep each other safe.

NOTE: Local ODFW offices will not have access to the stocking schedule.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Fred and troutdude
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
good approach by ODFW. many boat launches, day use areas, state parks and such are now closed, but the trout being planted aren't going anywhere, sounds like most are getting a chance to fatten up and be tasty come summer.

Reactions: Vinnie501, troutdude and my2labs
bass
bass
Thanks for that information GB!

That is a great idea by ODFW! Most every place has been stocked at least once and should have some fish in it and so there should be some fish available everywhere.

Admin
Admin
stryker1171 said:
For Example, Foster Reservoir has no listed stockings at all! Detroit and Green Peter have a huge number fewer than recent years. Sunnyside park pond seems to be massively OVERloaded! Anyone else have ant thoughts about the schedule?
May be they already knew about covid19?

• Haha
Reactions: troutdude
my2labs
my2labs
Reactions: troutdude and Admin
P
pinstriper
You think they are actually following their old schedule ? Heck, they didn’t always follow it when it wasn’t secret.

• Haha
Reactions: Snopro and Admin
L
lurkingfisher
Good point!
But it's better to have a rough estimate than not have any idea when.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
From everyone I've talked to they aren't following the same schedule

Does anyone know who actually breeds/grows the trout? What company?

troutdude
troutdude
Typically they are done stocking by now anyway; at least for most areas. It has been, thankfully, a private company for a year or two now. The fish are MUCH healthier and put a better fight than in years past. I'm afraid, though, that I do not recall the name of said privateer.

S
Snopro
NKlamerus said:
From everyone I've talked to they aren't following the same schedule

Does anyone know who actually breeds/grows the trout? What company?
It depends on where the lake is located. Many hatcheries supply fish to Oregon lakes. Which lake were you wondering about?

S
SuaveSprings
I'm wondering when they are gonna stock hagg lake, estacada lake, north fork res, lost lake and trillium lake

Reactions: Dongle79
troutdude
troutdude
It's a private company; but I don't recall who. And they aren't going to give you any stocking information. If that's what you are "fishing" for. LOL

Besides...stocking is typically finished, for the season, in June. Because in most lower elevation lakes there would be a huge, and instant, die-OFF. Due to hot temperatures.

Then there are sometimes a few brood trout stockings, in December. But NONE until then--during a typical year. So you're efforts are pointless for now. You're MUCH better OFF chasing warm water species, or heading up to high mountain lakes if you want trout. Or...head to the coastal streams for sea run cutties.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Bingo

I'm not sure if they stock all of Oregon, but definitely a sizable chunk.
FB_IMG_1597557753478.jpg

D
Dongle79
SuaveSprings said:
I'm wondering when they are gonna stock hagg lake, estacada lake, north fork res, lost lake and trillium lake
yes ! I hope they did trillium last week , wanting to go tomorrow !

troutdude
troutdude
The WHOLE schedule was taken down right at the beginning of the Rona; way back in March. So do NOT rely on ANYTHING that you think you may see on the ODFW site. Period. End of story for the foreseeable future.

gramparon
gramparon
I want to know why we can't find out what has been stocked and when?

troutdude
troutdude
gramparon said:
I want to know why we can't find out what has been stocked and when?
Because the powers that be didn't want people packed together, like sardines, at the dump sites. On the dates of the truck stops. Which would, in turn, violate the safe distance protocol.

Status
Not open for further replies.