Ochoco Report 5/8

S
Silver Bullets
Fished Ochoco twice in the last couple weeks. So far the fishing has been on the slow side, but managed a few each between my Dad and I both times out. We've been useing the downriggers, and getting some nice size...14-18". We have yet to see another net out. Other than some cat fish remains at the cleaning station, have not seen any evidence of other trout being caught. I heard that they stocked fewer fish this year. Seems like years past the main catch was always in the 12-14" size and limits came quick. The water level is comeing up quick, and has another 6 feet or so to go. Best fishing so far has been down the middle towards the West end.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Silver.......beside the trout do you fish for crappie at Ochoco Reservior? I drive by Ochoco on my way up to Walton lake. Mabe I'll just have to stop and fish Ochoco next time. A neighbor of mine at my Culver place would much rather fish Ochoco than Lake Billy Chinook. He swears by the place and that has to mean something because we are only eight miles from the LBC boat ramp. Keep us posted;)

S
Silver Bullets
Irishrover said:
Silver.......beside the trout do you fish for crappie at Ochoco Reservior? I drive by Ochoco on my way up to Walton lake. Mabe I'll just have to stop and fish Ochoco next time. A neighbor of mine at my Culver place would much rather fish Ochoco than Lake Billy Chinook. He swears by the place and that has to mean something because we are only eight miles from the LBC boat ramp. Keep us posted;)

I've also heard that the crappie were good size at Ochoco. I mainly troll with downriggers, and am just waiting for the high lakes to thaw for chasing kokanee.

Last edited:
O
Oregonchris
Cool report ! Thanks!

T
trollin4trout
What's water clarity like these days? It seems to be a bit murky everytime I go. Is this a normal condtion for that lake or do I just have bad timing?

It has been good fishing in the past, regardless- I love to go there.

Jim

S
Silver Bullets
trollin4trout said:
What's water clarity like these days? It seems to be a bit murky everytime I go. Is this a normal condtion for that lake or do I just have bad timing?

It has been good fishing in the past, regardless- I love to go there.

Jim

Yep, it's murky...a lot of runoff filling up the reservoir right now. I only fish it early season, so I couldn't tell ya if it ever clears up. Going back in a couple days. Standby for updated report...

S
Silver Bullets
Ochoco...Fri 5/15

Ochoco...Fri 5/15

Slow day. Got 4 fat rainbow's between 14-17". Water still murky, but not as bad as last week. All caught on spinners with dodgers useing downriggers. Middle of lake most productive. Dodger's smeared with pro-cure carp spit scent.