Ocean Salmon Fishing Season

Irishrover
Irishrover
Looks like it is going to be a lot different than last year off the coast for salmon. The qouta for silver salmon is down about 75% from 110,000 to 26,000 (Cape Flacon south to California) The bag limit went from three fish a day to two. The good news this year is for the first time in a couple of years you can keep one chinook a day. (all fish to be adipose cliped fish) The season runs from June 26th to September 6th. With a 26,000 quota I don't think the season will last that long. I'm just glad we do have a season; last year was one of those years to remember, lots of fun lots of fish. Much better than some of those years in the 1990s when we had no ocean season.;) Hopefully those fish will be within 10 to 5 miles of the coast by the fouth of July.

H
Halfthrive
I was dissapointed to see those numbers too. Last year was the first year I fished for ocean salmon since 94, and it was like comming home. First rod in the water had a fish on in 5 sec, and it was like that all summer long. I am hoping that going but the ratio of native to hatchery fish last year the 26,000 quota won't be filled too fast.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Which port did you fish out of? I fished Newport and it was beyond hot. Last year by July 19 they had over 29,000 coho toward the quota. In the week of July 6th to the 12th alone they had added 13,000 to the quota. The season starts a week later this year and it's a two fish limit instead of three so that might strech the season a little. Your right about the non clipped fish we released a ton of those last year. If the season is shorter at least I'll save money on fuel!;)

C
CaptKirk
Irishrover said:
The good news this year is for the first time in a couple of years you can keep one chinook a day.

The way I read it you can keep two Chinook a day?

Irishrover
Irishrover
CaptKirk said:
The way I read it you can keep two Chinook a day?

You are right. I read that wrong it is two chinook a day. That's even better.

C
CaptKirk
If you can find two without that extra fin in one day!

H
Halfthrive
Irishrover said:
Which port did you fish out of? I fished Newport and it was beyond hot. Last year by July 19 they had over 29,000 coho toward the quota. In the week of July 6th to the 12th alone they had added 13,000 to the quota. The season starts a week later this year and it's a two fish limit instead of three so that might strech the season a little. Your right about the non clipped fish we released a ton of those last year. If the season is shorter at least I'll save money on fuel!;)

I fish out of Florence, the boat numbers were about 1/4 out of what it used to be in the early 90's. The fishing was awesome though. It was nice getting into fish everywhere and only about 20 or so other boats within sight. Best day was about 60 fish between 3 guys.