Nutria

FairweatherFisher
Wondering if anyones tried hunting these little buggers? As far as I know there’s no closed season or bag limit, and they’re an invasive and DESTRUCTIVE species. I’ve also read that they’re not bad tasting, pretty similar to rabbit (found some Cajun recipes for them) so I’m figuring why not give hunting them a try? I just don’t really know where to start beside look near water.

I see them in town (Eugene) all the time, along the river banks, ponds, and on the golf courses, but I haven’t seen any out on hunt-able public land. Any advice on where to start looking?

NKlamerus
The problem in this town is probably the actual use of a firearm (even air powered)

We had an infestation at work and called a trapper, caught 4 almost immediately. I think there's a rule/law that once they are captured they can not be relocated

FairweatherFisher
NKlamerus said:
The problem in this town is probably the actual use of a firearm (even air powered)

We had an infestation at work and called a trapper, caught 4 almost immediately. I think there's a rule/law that once they are captured they can not be relocated
Totally, I wasn’t figuring to hunt them in town, save perhaps at Fern Ridge.

FairweatherFisher
I’m mostly wondering if anyones hunted them, and if so what methods and/or techniques have you found effective/helpful, and if anyone has tips, I’d love to hear them. Likewise, if anyone here is outside city limits and has an issue with them, hmu and maybe we can work something out!

O. mykiss
My advice would be to drive the fields around alvadore to junction city. Many of the fields have irrigation canals running through them. Or follow the long time river down. Look for nutria feeding and contact the landowners for access. They hate them, they eat the grass and destroy the stream banks

Reactions: FairweatherFisher
jamisonace
When I lived in Springfield I was close to the canal and they would end up in my yard. I had a pair living in some bushes by my pond for awhile. I shot them all the time with a .22. Raccoons too. A friend came over and killed 2 with his recurve. Never did eat them but I've heard they're pretty good.

DOKF
I use a 0.22 or 0.25 pellet gun on squirrels, raccoons and nutria in my area. Quiet enough to not disturb the neighbours (shush!), but powerful enough to dispatch the varmints.

Top Bottom