No beginners luck

T
Thuggin4Life
Tried my luck at trolling tidewater Sunday. Headed down to Reedsport. Turned out there was a salmon derby going on so to say there were 50 boats trolling the strech we were fishing is probably an understatement. Couple guys talked sh*t about my little boat as we first got in. Only seen a few boats in my size class all of witch had more horse power than me. Seen a lot of nets hit the water but never mine. Everyone we talked to had seen some action but not us. Maybe it was our over brine herring that was radioactive chartrouse in color. Ended up tossing them over and getting some fresh herring but still no luck. It was windy and wet but we had raingear so it wasn't to bad but had to bail out a lot of water throughout the day. Seemed like everyone was getting three passes to my one. And when guys were blasting back up seemed like there were staying and laffing at us. Only a few people out there seemed to be friendly. Must have been as*hol*'s weekend in reedsport because they all seemed to be there. toughed it out from first legal until 5 ish without any luck at all. Wish i had a fish finder maybe if we knew the depth we would have done better. Seem that after we found bottom it wold get deeper and we weren't in the zone or it would get shallow and we would get our gear all fouled up. And with the wind and all the other boats it was had to hit the same line each time we made a pass. but it was my first attempt and i won't get discouraged. Allready planning an all out ful assault on the Siuslaw this weekend. And the two guys who came out with me had more heart than any of those guys out in there $30,000+ boats who wouldn't have braved the wind and rain for a chance at a salmon and made sure that we knew that they thought they were better than us because they had a bigger boat. Just wish I could have had some fish to put in there faces at the boat ramp. Next time I will.

A
Anyfishisfine
Ah, don't blame the boat, it's served you well in the past. It just wasn't your day.

One day my friend took me out of Newport and we got our Coho limit literally in minutes, and so did most of the other boats, but there were lots of people back at the docks for whatever reason skunked. It could have been what you ate for dinner, who knows.

D
dude young
Thuggin4Life said:
Wish i had a fish finder

Thuggin4Life said:
All my fish come without sonar

Sumtin' don't add up. :think:

You will get yours, keep at it and there will be blood spilled for sure. Those guys in the big boats are really no different than you except they "have" to catch fish to validate the price tag.

But, yeah, a $150 sonar is worth more than a $30K boat, any day.

D
diggindan
We've put a lot of hours on our shiny new boat with very little to show for it. It's more comfy than the old boat but doesn't fish any better.
Keep after it.

W
wormosa
Thuggin4Life said:
Tried my luck at trolling tidewater Sunday. Headed down to Reedsport. Turned out there was a salmon derby going on so to say there were 50 boats trolling the strech we were fishing is probably an understatement. Couple guys talked sh*t about my little boat as we first got in. Only seen a few boats in my size class all of witch had more horse power than me. Seen a lot of nets hit the water but never mine. Everyone we talked to had seen some action but not us. Maybe it was our over brine herring that was radioactive chartrouse in color. Ended up tossing them over and getting some fresh herring but still no luck. It was windy and wet but we had raingear so it wasn't to bad but had to bail out a lot of water throughout the day. Seemed like everyone was getting three passes to my one. And when guys were blasting back up seemed like there were staying and laffing at us. Only a few people out there seemed to be friendly. Must have been as*hol*'s weekend in reedsport because they all seemed to be there. toughed it out from first legal until 5 ish without any luck at all. Wish i had a fish finder maybe if we knew the depth we would have done better. Seem that after we found bottom it wold get deeper and we weren't in the zone or it would get shallow and we would get our gear all fouled up. And with the wind and all the other boats it was had to hit the same line each time we made a pass. but it was my first attempt and i won't get discouraged. Allready planning an all out ful assault on the Siuslaw this weekend. And the two guys who came out with me had more heart than any of those guys out in there $30,000+ boats who wouldn't have braved the wind and rain for a chance at a salmon and made sure that we knew that they thought they were better than us because they had a bigger boat. Just wish I could have had some fish to put in there faces at the boat ramp. Next time I will.

i would prefer to slum in my lil boat then have a big ol payment on a big boat, i would rather the money stay in my pocket.... better luck next time bro

K
Kodiak
Fish finder is a major bonus when fishing for nooks in the tide water and can help to know if you are fishing empty water.

M
Mike123
Thuggin4Life said:

Hey man I've been there... I took my little jon boat to Chinook Bend on the Siletz one time and all these snobs in their Duckworths and Thunder Jets were laughing but we caught fish! As long as it floats and get's you out in the water fishing safely who cares what others think.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Don't let them make you feel like you can't catch fish in a small boat, Daniel and I catch lots of fish in our little 12ft boat. :D Keep fishing and you will learn were the fish are and start getting into them, then the other boats will stop talking! ;)

K
Kodiak
Mike123 said:
Hey man I've been there... I took my little jon boat to Chinook Bend on the Siletz one time and all these snobs in their Duckworths and Thunder Jets were laughing but we caught fish! As long as it floats and get's you out in the water fishing safely who cares what others think.

Were you guys anchored up just above chinook bend in the flats?

F
fishwithdynamite
It's not the size of the boat!

It's not the size of the boat!

Last Thursday when I was out at B-10, I saw a couple guys landing fish from a little Zodiac. It doesn't need to be said, but its all about getting your gear on the fish, and keeping it there. You'll get your fish.

M
Mike123
Kodiak said:
Were you guys anchored up just above chinook bend in the flats?

This was when I was in high school about 6 years ago...
But yes.. we went all over that area.
8hp motor and my camo duck hunting boat. :lol:

T
Thuggin4Life
dude young said:
Sumtin' don't add up. :think:

You will get yours, keep at it and there will be blood spilled for sure. Those guys in the big boats are really no different than you except they "have" to catch fish to validate the price tag.

But, yeah, a $150 sonar is worth more than a $30K boat, any day.

I should have wrote i wish i had a bottom finder not a fish finder, dont care about finding fish as much as i care about knowing depth.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Fish finders are a must, they tell you way more than just if there are fish around and depth!