Nice weather yesterday on Coos Bay.

plumbertom
Sunny and bright with a light breeze for most of morning/mid afternoon.
Too bad we couldn't get the fish to cooperate. Never got a bite all the time we were out.
None of our favorite spots produced nor any of the tries at new locations.
The crab were pretty much hit or miss.
I can't recall pulling as many empty traps as we did yesterday.
We also pulled traps with a lot of crabs in them, it's just that they were just a hair undersized or most of the larger crab were females.
So we harvested 12 legal males, no really big ones, over 4 hours with 6 pots using chicken for bait.
The ones I cleaned were all hard shelled.
Not bad crabbing, although we usually do better, and easily enough to have a meal of fresh crab when I got home and still have plenty for a couple of meals of my second favorite crab dish Etouffee over rice. The just cooked fresh crab itself being my favorite.

jamisonace
Etouffee over Rice.....I'll be googling that one in a sec. I'm always looking for new ways to eat crab.

Thanks for reporting. How were the swells? I like to set my pots just outside the jetty in the direction of Baltimore Rock. We went for lingcod a couple weeks ago and only got 4 crab in one pull on the way in but they were very hard and decent sized. Brought home fish from Simpson though so we and a few other families ate fresh fish.

Last edited:
Reactions: plumbertom
G
Gulfstream
Better than staying home!

Reactions: plumbertom
plumbertom
They bay was flat. a little ripple when the gusts came up.
My boat is too small to get outside. much as I'd like to.
But being a prudent (cowardly) mariner, I'm not about to risk it even if the bar looks flat.