Nice ocean nice halibut

Irishrover
Irishrover
I took a few friends out to the salt to see if we could put some halibut on the boat. Luck was with us. Black label herring for bait and tree pounds of lead did the trick. Fish for dinner. In the first picture the fellow holding the fish had never caught a halibut and it was on his bucket list of fish to catch, it was 50 inches.

• DSC01063.jpg
  • DSC01064.jpg
  • DSC01066.jpg
E
eugene1
Very nice!

troutdude
troutdude
Halibuthitman, will be jealous! LOL

T
taconight2night
Oh man oh man, I wish I had a slab-o-that for the BBQ! Niiiiiice fish!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent.

J
JeannaJigs
I went out friday and caught 7 massive red rockfish and a huge ling. I can say I've been halibut fishing but I don't care to ever do it again, not fun at all dropping 4 pounds of lead to 600 feet and reeling in fish repeatedly, that all have to go back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
Thats reel cool your buddy got to take that OFF his list. Congrats

Irishrover
Irishrover
JeannaJigs said:
I went out friday and caught 7 massive red rockfish and a huge ling. I can say I've been halibut fishing but I don't care to ever do it again, not fun at all dropping 4 pounds of lead to 600 feet and reeling in fish repeatedly, that all have to go back.

I don't have them but electric reels are the way to go. We released a couple of big canary rock fish, but were lucky to bring back five halibut. I only do once or twice a year because it is a lot of work. Alaska is the place to go for halibut. It's shallow water fishing up there.

J
JeannaJigs
Yeah it didn't help that I had a major back injury three days before, it set me way back in healing, but it was still a great day to be out, the ocean was pretty laid back. I think the boat got 10 halibut total just none for me, so I was a little pouty lol. I might try it again someday but it was seriously miserable work, they don't tell you how much work it's gonna be.

S
Steelheader4Life
Nice! I got my first Halibut on Saturday and it was a 50 incher. I can say it wasn't as exciting as my first Tuna but I do love to eat it so that's the best part.

Irishrover
Irishrover
If halibut didn't taste so good I doubt anyone would take the time to drag them up off the bottom of the ocean. 50" that's a nice fish way to go.

S
Steelheader4Life
Thanks! I now understand why some people call them barn doors LOL! We got three within the first hour and stayed out until a little after 12:00 trying to get the fourth one but we couldn't get any of the other takers to stick.

N
nightterror218
uploadfromtaptalk1433460451203.jpg

Did not know there is halibut off Oregon coast. Just moved to Oregon from Alaska. I love halibut fishing, here is o e from last summer.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Nice flatty. I think you'll find the halibut fishing in Alaska a lot more enjoyable. They aren't as deep up there. Down here you have to pick your days go for a long boat ride and fish deep. Most of the halibut caught here in Oregon is out of the central Oregon ports like Newport. We have some up here out of Astoria but you can be fishing as deep as 900 feet for them, and you may have a 30 mile one way run to get to the fishing grounds. But when those halibut hit your plate nicely cooked up it all becomes worth it. Welcome to the forum and welcome to Oregon.

PS the Columbia subsection has reached it's quota and halibut is closed. The central coast only has about 16% of their quota left.

4labs
4labs
Great catch.Hope to do that good down here someday!!!

T
troutmasta
Yummy, nice fish!

S
sapo
Awesome!!