New to steelheading - fishing any good on the Santiam at hwy 226?

B
bass_master
I love fishing and have fished for trout and bass all my life but just now got my first Steelhead license at the age of 34. I live close to the Santiam at Hwy 226 near Crabtree... is that spot any good? Never really see anyone fishing there so my guess is its not, but I am just anxious to get out and try. Any tips for a beginner? No reason why I can't go fish there for Steelhead right?

troutdude
troutdude
The fish have to plow past there, to head upstream. So give it a try.

M
mikeee2362
Sorry I don't know about your place, but if there are steelhead in the river you can catch them. Go get yourself some bobbers and jigs. Nightmare pattern, pink and purple, and orange and white are good to start with. Get some pink jigheads and 3 1/2" pink worms. some 10-12 lb flourocarbon leader material, bobber stops and some swivels, and some weights. Look on youtube on how to set up a float rig first and then you will know the sizes of everything you will need. Then find some deeper water after a rapid section and work your bobber rig at the edge of fast water where the water slows some and drift that seam. Try different stuff for several drifts on each spot before moving on. Try lots of water. dousing your jigheads with some Krill/anise or sand shrimp scent every so often will help too. I'm kinda new at this kind of fishing since I just moved to Oregon last Dec. but that's how I started and I'm consistently catching fish. Good Luck out there!!

C
ChezJfrey
I don't know the Santiam either, but it looks like you are on the South Santiam and that river is chock full of summers May through Sept. Some start to trickle in during April, so yeah, get out there and give it a shot. Move around to all the bank you have access to and find them...they inevitably go through there somewhere, but you may need to hunt around for the particular spots they like to sit.

Give bobber/jig a try, pink worms and spinner/spoons won't hurt either, but during summer, I suggest black/copper and smaller sizes if you use hardware. My go-to for summers is a 1/3 oz. copper spoon that I color with a black sharpie anywhere from half of it, to 100% black. Toss it in the choppy water full of pumpkin size rocks/boulders.

troutdude
troutdude
ChezJfrey said:
My go-to for summers is a 1/3 oz. copper spoon that I color with a black sharpie anywhere from half of it, to 100% black. Toss it in the choppy water full of pumpkin size rocks/boulders.

X 2. Oregon spinner Guru Jed Davis, proved decades ago that black is a killer color. The first time that I made my own spinners, and used them for Siletz River Fall Nooks, I had a "field day"! I hooked into 4 big brutes that day--all on a completely black spinner (blade, body, and even black tubing on hook shank).

Copper was effectively proven many more decades past, by Eppinger, when they made the copper-backed red/white striped original Daredevle spoon. In fact that spoon, is one of the 50 All-Time best lures (Field & Stream). Anytime I see copper spoons, or spinners, I buy them.

However for the SOUTH Santiam, there is a green tint that flows out of Green Peter Reservoir. So, don't overlook Green, or Green/Black spinners and spoons too.

Also as the season progresses...move down to lighter lines, and smaller OFFerings; so you won't spook the fish, in low/clear water.

D
DrTheopolis
Don't know the South Santiam (might have fished there once about a zillion years ago), but what I do know about steelhead -- they don't get out and walk around. So unless there's dams limiting passage, then fish swim through there.

C
ChezJfrey
troutdude said:
However for the SOUTH Santiam, there is a green tint that flows out of Green Peter Reservoir. So, don't overlook Green, or Green/Black spinners and spoons too.

Good point on the green and didn't intend to overlook that. For some reason, green is super effective for summers. Ask troutmasta about green corkies with black yarn on Clack summers for verification!

H
HRxPaperStacks
On the S. Santiam you get a lot of guys that throw the yarn and corkie rigs. I used to go over to the dam next to Foster and throw yarn and corkies all day with no luck. Then I would throw a crankbait and... money. They hit those suckers HARD. good luck!

troutdude
troutdude
HRxPaperStacks said:
On the S. Santiam you get a lot of guys that throw the yarn and corkie rigs. I used to go over to the dam next to Foster and throw yarn and corkies all day with no luck. Then I would throw a crankbait and... money. They hit those suckers HARD. good luck!

Good point. I almost never use what "everyone else is using". Give the fish something different, and you'll probably get better results IMO.

troutdude
troutdude
Copper lures

Copper lures

BTW, fellow OFFer Salmon Whammy sells copper spoons and spinners.

http://www.nclaf.com/

S
sbrooks
Careful with the crowd, they can be pretty rude and rough. A lot of fights happen on both the north and the south santiam. Pretty decent fishing though...

B
bass_master
Thanks for all the awesome tips! Going out tomorrow afternoon to give it a try. Will definitely update you guys if I have any luck. Thanks again.... looking forward to trying some of your tips!

O
Ooligan
HEY everybody! just joined here!! done tons o research on here though. but yes there is a very, territorial crowd i guess. But finding yer own spot i better anywho, then ya get to watch the scuffles from afar. Well, OFF to EE wilson in few my fisherfriends.

PS im dude in Scottsburg hat

P
Paul Smith
I live about 10-15 minutes from there, was down there Saturday. Still a little early, but fish should be coming through (should get pretty good in about 3 weeks). PM me if you want to catch up and fish, I fish there, but prefer some other spots not too far from there.

O
Ooligan
Sweet will do. Did good @ ee, full limt w/ pautzke yellowjackets! can't figure out pics on here though. DID SEE OFF STICKER ON RIG @ CABELAS MONDAY!