New to steelhead fishing , need help.

Y
Youngfishermen
Hi everyone, I'm new to steelhead fishing and wanted to know what to use at clackamas river, I need to know what rod,line,jigs,spinners,floats. And I also want to find out when is steelhead fishing good and where. Thanx guys and girls.

E
eugene1
Never fished that river before, so hope some others will help you out. But you can have a look at other posts and get TONS of info. Just read it all and absorb what you can.

Good luck!

S
steelie_killa
For winter steeliest u want a 9+ ft rod setup for bobber n jigs...nightmares r the favorite jigs...run 20 lb braids for mainline...for summers have an xtra pole for drifting corkies n yarn orange or pinks r favorites...run 12 lb mainline...but low water run ligher line...winter fishing is done decemberish n summer around june

Y
Youngfishermen
steelie_killa said:
For winter steeliest u want a 9+ ft rod setup for bobber n jigs...nightmares r the favorite jigs...run 20 lb braids for mainline...for summers have an xtra pole for drifting corkies n yarn orange or pinks r favorites...run 12 lb mainline...but low water run ligher line...winter fishing is done decemberish n summer around june

Thanx man, but one question you say winter fishing ends in december and when does it start?? thax again

B
bran_man
Steelheadstalkers.com has all you need to know about getting set up with steelhead fishing. video tutorials on how to different rigs etc... and steely fishing (in general)is all the same in every river I dont care what anybody else says lol . just gotta learn the spots and how to fish them the best and what personal preferences are. Def a learning process good luck out there

R
ryank
Youngfishermen said:
Thanx man, but one question you say winter fishing ends in december and when does it start?? thax again

Here's the set up I use all winter long on the Sandy. It will work just fine on the Clackamas too though.

I always carry two rods. Both 9'6" 8-15lb (or similar) casting rods with Abu Garcia Revo reels, I don't like spinning reels. One rod is a dedicated drift fishing/spinner/spoon rod and one is a dedicated float and jig rod. For drift rigs I pretty much always use a rag and boraxed eggs, a 4" pink worm, or a yarn ball. Between these three presentations if there's fish around they'll usually take one of these. For the float rod I use a 20 gram Drennan piker float, I think the length and shape of this float lets you know what is happening under water much better than many of the other floats on the market. I like brighter jigs in the winter time, pinks, reds, orange they all work First Bite is my favorite brand. Sometimes darker is better you never know what they'll want from day to day, that is why it is important to be prepared.

My winter steelhead chest pack:

Pliers/knife (Leatherman style)
hook file.
hooks (size 1 owner super needle point)
size 7 barrel swivels.
a few duo locks.
a few different globug yarn colors.
a few different size pink worms.
size 4 & 5 R&B spinners with silver blades. (body color doesn't matter)
a few 2/5oz & 2/3oz R&B spoons (Silver)
10, 12 & 15lb test Maxima ultra green.
Rags & a sewing needle to thread on the leader.
Pretied leaders size 1 hooks 10 or 12lb test.
pretied leaders with yarn balls.
some 1/4" hollow core lead. I use this for drift fishing and as my weight for float fishing.
a few spare floats.
bobber stops & beads.
A small assortment of jigs 1/8-1/4oz

I'm sure I over looked a few items, but you get the idea.

Winter steelhead will be around in November, but not in good numbers until December-January through April/May. Summer steelhead will generally show up in fishable numbers in late April-early May and I bet there are still nice summer steelhead in the Clackamas now. I actually just caught a stray hatchery summer steelhead on a creek I was salmon fishing yesterday and it was in great shape.

Now, you could ask a 100 different steelheaders this question and get 100 different answers and they'd all be right too. It comes down to your style of fishing, and personal preference. What I've listed above is what works for my style of fishing and is just what works best for me. If you want to cut the learning curve WAY down book a trip with a guide and ask a lot of questions. Ed Fast is an excellent guide and you bank fish only so its very hands on. It costs money, but you'll learn more in a day than you will fishing two years by yourself.

Good luck.

Reactions: PTownAngler, ChezJfrey, waco and 1 other person
E
eugene1
Nice solid advice there, ryan!

Best,

T
troutmasta
Nice posts here!
I love to fish the clack and I think the recommendations for the nightmare jigs are perfect, bottom drifting pink worms and egg clusters can be highly effective as well!

S
steelie_killa
I meant starts decemberish....lol...u can catch an early winter or late summer during that time

Y
Youngfishermen
thnx

Y
Youngfishermen
Thanx I will buy some of those floats .

C
ChezJfrey
eugene1 said:
Nice solid advice there, ryan!

Best,

Agreed. I carry very similar gear/setups.

Y
Youngfishermen
Thank you everyone I got myself a salmon rod 8'6 and a spinning reel , some yarn, beads, floats, 20lb maxima . Going to try steelhead fishing next Thursday.

J
jesse202505
all i use is jigs, preferably gamakatzu hooks under a clear float if im somewhere i can spot the fish. polarized glasses is a must since they tend to swim 1ft to 5 ft from the top of the water which makes them easily visable, my best colors are black, black with purple, black and red, pink and red. if the water is deep I dont cast until i see a steelie swimming by, cast well ahead of them in their line of direction with my jig about 2 1/2 ft to 5 ft under my bobber ill know how deep to run after seen the first few steelhead swim by. the best part of this is that you get to watch the steel head react as it sees the jig and sometimes even see it open its mouth and take your jig!! so much adrenaline kicks in the moment you spot the fish, then you cast your jig into position and as the steelhead aproaches your heart stops until it iether takes your jig or jukes it at last second. this is my favorite steelhead method, but only works well in places you have a good view of the water. oh and its best to try this for summer steelhead since the chinook run at the same time the chinook stay deep, pushing the steelhead to swim on the top. my secret spot is 20 feet off the water, it gives me a perfect view on the fish and lets me see the fish before its right in front of me giving me time to cast at it multiple times. just remember cast well ahead of them to not spook them, what i tell friends is that if the fish sees or hears that jig hit the water it wont want it. I got 7 steelhead in the month of june this year using this method and only going out a few times, good luck!