New to pontoon fishing

SandFinish69
SandFinish69
New member
I just ordered a bucks bags South fork pontoon and can't wait for it to get here. Never been on a one man pontoon before and I'm super green to rowing in general. First time I take it on the water will probably be at doreana reservoir or leaburg just to get a feel for it. Once I get the hang of it I plane to take it down the McKenzie from Hayden bridge to armitage park, I have heard that a pretty chill and easy section of the river to learn on.

The first pieces of additional equipment I'm gonna get are a emergency in the field patch kit and some sort of rod holder. I also still need to get a small packable manual air pump. Eventually I would like to get the bucks bags anchor system and a pyramid anchor. Maybe 10# or 15# 3 sided pyramid?

Any tips for a new pontooner would be appreciated. If there's any other pontooners that would be willing to let me tag along and show me the ropes that would be awesome.

Thanks.
 
Based upon being new and "super green"...a word of caution. Don't start out in moving water. Instead start on a lake like Dorena, or Dexter maybe. I had a bad experience the fast moving water, of the McKenzie, flowing into and through Leaburg. Unless you plan to put in on the highway side (opposite of the fast flow that I just mentioned).

Good luck and tight lines.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Irishrover
troutdude said:
Based upon being new and "super green"...a word of caution. Don't start out in moving water. Instead start on a lake like Dorena, or Dexter maybe. I had a bad experience in the fast moving water, of the McKenzie, flowing into and through Leaburg. Unless you plan to put in on the highway side (opposite of the fast flow that I just mentioned).

Good luck and tight lines.
Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely be take my first few trips to lakes and staying out of fast flows for quite a while.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Always wear a PFD!
 
  • Like
Reactions: SparkyofSoCal, troutdude and SandFinish69
Chromatose said:
Always wear a PFD!
Great advice bro. I once had a float tube go flat on me, while out in a pond. I'm glad that I realized it as soon as I did; and got to the shore!
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: SandFinish69
On the John Day 15 years or so ago, before all the regulations, a Ranger stopped by camp to BS and told us he had never been involved with a fatality collection of anyone wearing a life vest. He may have been embellishing some, but like a seat belt, the numbers prove out vest work.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SandFinish69 and troutdude
Chromatose said:
Always wear a PFD!
Yeah, I agree that is pretty solid advice.
 
@SandFinish69

This morning I watched a video of someone nearly drowning at Hagg Lake. He somehow got separated from his boat. Thankfully the Washington County Sheriff's office, has a boat stationed there. They were able to get to him just in time.
 
troutdude said:
@SandFinish69

This morning I watched a video of someone nearly drowning at Hagg Lake. He somehow got separated from his boat. Thankfully the Washington County Sheriff's office, has a boat stationed there. They were able to get to him just in time.
Should like the guy but lucky. I would imagine he was not wearing PFV.
 
Get an extra oar lock, and keep it in one of the side bags. When it arrives set you your oars so the fit you well. I have the South Fork and a Bronco both are a lot of fun. The oars on mine came with the big rubber donuts so you can set the perfect length for your arms. The also work with the oar locks to keep the oars attached so you can let go of them to fight a fish.

Get a good net with a long handle, makes it easier to land fish. I also tether most of my gear to the Bucks Bag. Like the net and fishing pliers. Easy to drop things in the water and poof they are gone.

And like TD said, start in still water, get the feel of that thing.
 
Irishrover said:
Get an extra oar lock, and keep it in one of the side bags. When it arrives set you your oars so the fit you well. I have the South Fork and a Bronco both are a lot of fun. The oars on mine came with the big rubber donuts so you can set the perfect length for your arms. The also work with the oar locks to keep the oars attached so you can let go of them to fight a fish.

Get a good net with a long handle, makes it easier to land fish. I also tether most of my gear to the Bucks Bag. Like the net and fishing pliers. Easy to drop things in the water and poof they are gone.

And like TD said, start in still water, get the feel of that thing.
Good call on a spare oar lock, I'll have to order one from them. I also got a box of tear aid type A patch kit I'm going to store in one of the pockets at all times. I think my current net is 24" I'm gonna have to see how it work on the water but I have a feeling I'll be upgrading it to something longer. Luckily all my tools are already tethered so I can clip them to the D ring on my waders.

What do you use to inflate you pontoons? And do you carry a hand pump on the water with you? I'm hoping to use my DeWalt 20v air pump to get it most of the way and top off with a hand pump.
 
I do carry a small hand pump on the pontoon. To pump it up I have a larger hand pump. it is definitely a fun way to fish!
 
  • Like
Reactions: SandFinish69

Similar threads

bass
Replies
2
Views
237
bass
bass
bass
Replies
5
Views
784
troutdude
troutdude
bass
Replies
2
Views
440
bass
bass
bass
Replies
0
Views
7K
bass
bass
O
Replies
10
Views
4K
OregonApe
O
Back
Top Bottom