New reel but which one?

D
DirectDrive
Mike123 said:
Well I loosen the one pin up all the way and the side cover is just stuck on there!
OK, I don't have one of these but you are supposed to able to rotate the entire cover in a counter-clockwise direction after the keeper screw is loose.
From the way it's described elswhere, you un-screw it.

If it stuck, you might want to take it in to a reel shop and let them show you or maybe the reel guy at Dick's would show you.

Here it is on video:
YouTube - Faulty ABU Revo STX 3

M
Mike123
DirectDrive said:
OK, I don't have one of these but you are supposed to able to rotate the entire cover in a counter-clockwise direction after the keeper screw is loose.
From the way it's described elswhere, you un-screw it.

If it stuck, you might want to take it in to a reel shop and let them show you or maybe the reel guy at Dick's would show you.

Here it is on video:
YouTube - Faulty ABU Revo STX 3

Dude you are my savior! Thank you! I thought someone on here had to know how to get that damn thing off! :clap::dance:

F
fish_4_all
I will have to look more into AG. I used to love their reels. I still and Ambassador Mag Plus but it is well on it's last legs and no way to replace/repair the problems it has.

I still really like the Pro Max but the Revo SX is a nice one too. Lots of choices, I just need to find a retailer that carries them so I can see them all and see which one I want.

As for the Revo S and that adjustment thing I just don't know. Would have to find someone with one and try it out to see if I would like it or not.

D
DirectDrive
fish_4_all said:
I still really like the Pro Max but the Revo SX is a nice one too. Lots of choices, I just need to find a retailer that carries them so I can see them all and see which one I want.
I wouldn't be surprised if ABU discontinues the Pro Max series. There seems to be a lot of overlap in their low-pro lineup and the Revo is gaining momemtum.

As for the Revo S and that adjustment thing I just don't know. Would have to find someone with one and try it out to see if I would like it or not.
I started with magnet reels and graduated to centrifugal reels. In the quest for range (distance), I actually took the magnet system out of my '80s Shimanos. You can't really turn off the magnet 100% even though it says 0% on the little dial.
Now I use no cast control...all thumb on my Curados.

So, having said that, there is a Skeet Reese version of the Revo. ABU told him to design his dream Revo.
The Skeet Reese Revo is a Revo Premier with the magnet system replaced by the centrifugal braking system and (of course) the Skeet Reese color scheme.

The Revo S was poo-pooed by that salesman in the video because he prefers a magnet reel. I suppose if you use an extremely wide range of lure weights from tiny to huge, the magnet system might be useful.
Skeet Reese, a pro's pro prefers a centrifugal reel.

Personally, I think the Revo S is the best bang for buck in the Revo line.
Use it as is out of the box or adjust the weights to suit.
Maybe mike123 will report back on how many weights he found were engaged when he opened his up.

F
fish_4_all
Hmm, I use everything from 1/4 ounce lures up to 2 ounces for drifting so I think that qualifies as a wide range of weights. It really doesn't matter, I need a reel to transition from before I go to something I don't know. Right now it is magnets, a centrifuge could be in the works but no braking system is gonna be somewhere down the road. Throwing a 1/2 ounce spinner into a 20mph wind without one would be a nightmare I would suspect.

D
DirectDrive
fish_4_all said:
Hmm, I use everything from 1/4 ounce lures up to 2 ounces for drifting so I think that qualifies as a wide range of weights. It really doesn't matter, I need a reel to transition from before I go to something I don't know. Right now it is magnets, a centrifuge could be in the works but no braking system is gonna be somewhere down the road. Throwing a 1/2 ounce spinner into a 20mph wind without one would be a nightmare I would suspect.
You can do it, just that after about 15MPH you wonder why you're out there.
Fishing the Deschutes (windy) for summers forced me to develop a backhand cast that is similar to a tennis backhand.
You can generate a lot of power and the lure flies at a low, flat trajectory that is essential to cut through a headwind or crosswind. Also it is a good cast to learn for close cover with minimum backcast room.
It can be hard on the elbow (tennis elbow) so it's good to use a basic over-hand cast when you can.

Edit:
No matter what your braking system is, when going up in lure weight the brain/thumb relationship is not as critical as when going down in lure weight.
For example, if you have been casting slinkies and eggs and then switch to a 3/8 oz spinner, don't try for that home-run cast your first go.
Work your way up to it so the brain/thumb thing can get back in sync.

The brain/thumb thing is the secret to it all.

Last edited:
M
Mike123
DirectDrive said:
Maybe mike123 will report back on how many weights he found were engaged when he opened his up.

They were all engaged...

I'll have to experiment to see which setting I prefer...
I rarely ever get backlashes regardless of settings. I usually just disengage my reel and loosen the nut until the weight falls REALLY fast. Thumb control is where it's at. I get more backlashes having the centrifugal and other spool brake tight. I like a fast freespool!

D
DirectDrive
Mike123 said:
They were all engaged...

I'll have to experiment to see which setting I prefer...
I rarely ever get backlashes regardless of settings. I usually just disengage my reel and loosen the nut until the weight falls REALLY fast. Thumb control is where it's at. I get more backlashes having the centrifugal and other spool brake tight. I like a fast freespool!
Thanks.
That's amazing that they have them all engaged....good to know.

I like a floating spool so when I set my end play, I press down on the spool with my thumb and try to move the spool side-to-side.
I like to just barely feel movement (end play).

F
fish_4_all
Maybe I need to start a pole and decide that way. Can't go too wrong going with the results form a list of reels I would choose anyway.

MPH winds are the norm here for winter fishing, most places are less than 1/2 mile from open bay. 2 of my best fishing days this year were with 20-MPH winds and a tight magnetic drag for sure. Did lose some casting distance but no enough to effect fishing.

I know it is just a matter of getting used to a new reel because I have used the same old ones for SOOOOO long.

I know that most reels are new and not much info out there ion wear and tear but how has the durability been on the newer reels? My Quantum Heat is an awesome reel but the Kick lever is junk. I have to replace it every couple years. I know it is old but you never know how durable new reels will be even with the gazillion bearing they have now.

I do know that the way my Heat is set up I don't have to touch the spool on any cast to prevent a backlash and I outcast most people down there with equal weight. Cold hands make it nice to only have to thumb the spool when the lure/rig hits the water to stop the cast. May have to break down and buy one from somewhere that I can simply return the darn thing if I don't like it.

D
DirectDrive
I see you're in Aberdeen, don't know what you have there......Bob's in Longview is 71 miles away.
And you're only 34 miles from the Quinault and 46 miles from the Queets :D

F
fish_4_all
DirectDrive said:
I see you're in Aberdeen, don't know what you have there......Bob's in Longview is 71 miles away.
And you're only 34 miles from the Quinault and 46 miles from the Queets :D

10 miles from Wynoochie, 20 from Satsop and 25 from Humptulips. Not to mention coastal fishing not 2 miles from my house in tidal water. Tons of fishing here and lots of different methods to go after the same fish.

E
EastCountyRookie
revo vs trion

revo vs trion

revo- 24lbs of drag trion- about 7lbs of drag/ trion great for steelhead and coho unless they are big fish. I heard that the new abu garcia baitcasters are absolute s**t, made in china, but the low profile have the biggest bang for the buck. Thats my 2 cents