New guy from Hillsboro

V

Van

Howdy all.

Well, i picked up a fly rod this past summer after longing to use one most my life. I am a life long Oregonian, 5th generation, and I have always been a fisherman. The last ten years i didn't really fish much. In that time i got hooked on pc games, got a wife and child and a couple houses. Now things have settled back down and i am fishing regularly again and taking up the fly rod for 90% of my fishing.

I am mostly geared up now but need to improve on my rod inventory. I picked up a Reddington Red.Fly 2 6wt rod as a starter rod after picking up a really bad Martin fly rod combo that was basically a wet noodle. I am looking at a getting a nice 5 wt, an 8wt and perhaps a 3/4 wt.

I have a stupid amount of flies now. One of the things that got me motivated to fly fish was inheriting 3 boxes of old flies from my great uncle when he passed away. Now i can't seem to pass a rack of flies without picking up a few. I think i have enough Salmon flies to last a couple years. :) I will be on the banks of the Deschutes this spring during the hatch.

I am looking to pick up a pontoon boat in the next year as well for all the small lakes we have around here and in Washington.

This past summer i took some casting lessons from an instructor at Kaufmann's. I wanted to make sure and get the mechanics of the cast right to optimize my chances and make my presentations as good as possible. I also managed to cast some flies on the Clackamas, Deschutes, Fall, McKenzie rivers and Trout Creek up near trout Lake, WA. this summer. I landed about 10 fish all said and done over the summer. Nothing of great size but a good rookie season, imo.

Glad to see this forum and hope pick up a lot of info from those more experienced than i.

Cheers.

Last edited:
B

bigsteel

good to have u here van,you have made a great choice to fly fish especially being in oregon:) i will definitely see you on the deschutes.

W

waco

congratulations on your choice of coming back to the fisherman world!!! and dont forget about the Wilson River!! ;) is a good fly fishing area!!

V

Van

and dont forget about the Wilson River!! ;) is a good fly fishing area!!

I certainly won't. It is going to be my go to river for a quick fix after work. I can be on the Wilson in 30-45 mins. The reason i hit all the other rivers was the wife and i had our travel trailer out a lot this past summer and we were staying at or near these places.

troutdude

troutdude

Welcome to OFF Van; glad to have ya.

There are many skilled fly peeps on here, and now there is one more.

All the best!

G

GDBrown

Welcome to OFF from another Hillsboro fly fisher. I spend most of my time between Hagg lake and the Wilson river. I currently use a 4wt for most of my trout fishing and I'm learning to drag flies from a boat or float tube on Hagg and up at Lost lake in the coast range with a 6wt. I pick up a 10wt this fall thinking I would use it on salmon but right now I can barely stand up for half an hour far less wade a stream to fish with a 10 wt. I'll sell it to you cheap if your interested. ($40) I got it at WW Griggs. Search the forum and you'll find other have purchased from them as well. We'll have to make a trip down to the Wilson together when I'm a little stronger and more stable on my feet. (not my mind!) I have a float tube and a 14 ft aluminum boat and would be glad to share space with you.

GD

troutdude

troutdude

I'll vouch for the WW Griggs rods. I have a 9' ultralight spinning rod, and it's a decent rod. I'd whip $40 bucks out of my wallet quick, for a fly rod (if that's what I was looking for, like you may be).

V

Van

I appreciate the off GDBrown. I would hate to take a rod off you for cheap if there is a chance you may yet use it at some point. A drift down the river sounds nice and thanks for the warm welcome.

G

GDBrown

WACO says he wants it and I'll work with him. I need the funds to replace some worn out gear. If it doesn't work out I'll post it in the for sale section.

GD

Top Bottom