New guy and rigging a pole

T
td1622
I am sorry if this is some where else on the forum but I am just starting to fish after years and years and I have recently retired. This is what I have learned so far, Alton Baker Park is the closest place to fish for me, they stock it on Thursday and the place I set up my pole and sat down to catch my first fish was the worst place in the whole park!! So I have that straight, I found (by luck) the guy who actually stocks the place and he showed me where to fish and what bait to use but what I don't know now if what is the best way to rig my pole. Are there any diagrams anywhere on the forum that would show me the best way to rig my pole. From what I have read, and I can be way wrong, but it would be a treble hook with power bait and a sliding weight and no bobber. The leader could be a few feet long maybe even up to 3 feet long. Does that sound about right?? Or this could be totally wrong. What do you guys think???? Any better idea's???

td1622

Q
qwapaw
You are fine. 3' of leader works well. Put you sliding sinker above you snap swivel so the bait will float up 3'. I use chartrues power bait. If I can be of anymore help pm me you phone number. There are several ways I fish for planted trout. Qwapaw

PK Yi
PK Yi
what I would do is google for the type of fish you are fishing for. so if you're after trout, google for "trout rig setup", or "trout fishing setup", or something along that line. then on the search results page, click on "image".

this goes for any type of fishing setup, or knot

C
coyo7e
td1622 said:
I am sorry if this is some where else on the forum but I am just starting to fish after years and years and I have recently retired. This is what I have learned so far, Alton Baker Park is the closest place to fish for me, they stock it on Thursday and the place I set up my pole and sat down to catch my first fish was the worst place in the whole park!! So I have that straight, I found (by luck) the guy who actually stocks the place and he showed me where to fish and what bait to use but what I don't know now if what is the best way to rig my pole. Are there any diagrams anywhere on the forum that would show me the best way to rig my pole. From what I have read, and I can be way wrong, but it would be a treble hook with power bait and a sliding weight and no bobber. The leader could be a few feet long maybe even up to 3 feet long. Does that sound about right?? Or this could be totally wrong. What do you guys think???? Any better idea's???

td1622
The main thing with the technique they were describing that's easy to screw up (I forget all the time lol) is to keep the bead + sliding weight ABOVE the swivel. The intention is to allow the weight to sink hard and fast before you reel in just enough slack to keep the line taut so you can feel a strike, while the buoyancy of the power eggs/bait lifts the hook up out of the weeds and crap, so the fish can see it and take off with it. I used to get skunked with power eggs until I noticed that using only one egg, the hook wasn't lifting up out of the crap.

Leader length can vary, there's one woman I spoke with there the other day, who uses a pair of 1/8 egg weights and a leader that's 6 to 10 inches long! The extra weight sinks the rig faster and makes it easier to pull the line taut without moving it around accidentally - and the extra weight and short leader makes it super easy for her to cast while entirely seated. I swear to god she catches three times the fish I do, regardless of her two-fisted rod approach (which I secretly envy).

If you don't get a bite after five minutes or so reel it in and toss it in a different spot, and make sure you still have bait on your hook. I personally will wait ten-twenty minutes at a time often, because I'm reading a book, watching the other fishermen's setup and luck out of the corner of my eye, or just enjoying the antics of the herons and osprey.

The main tip for Alton Baker I can throw out is to go out there EARLY like 5-6am when the light is just coming up, you can see the fish jumping like crazy and they tend to be hungry.. Friday and Saturday morning after a stocking, I can usually limit out pretty quick on the canal behind Kowloon restaurant. The savviest and sanest people seem to be around there at that time of day - either chat them up or just eyeball what they're using. I've met a few people who kill it with setups I'd not have considered usable - such as the really cool person I chatted with and mentioned above, using the crazy-short leader and double-weighted line to assist in seated casting (she offered me the fish she'd kept, as I'd mentioned my grandmother was in town and she hadn't eaten fresh trout in probably twenty years), or the guy the other day who had no less than three rods (two of which seemed to get hopelessly tangled immediately, which I guess was the reason he had them all) who seemed old and savvy enough to not be using worms on a store-bought pre-made leader and hook, with about 1/32 oz of weight, casting ten feet out and actually catching a decent amount of nice fish. The deeper channels are sometimes just ten or twenty feet from shore around the canal.

I've never had luck in the ponds by the filbert orchard but I don't have a canoe, and there are definitely fish in there as I've seen the osprey-eaten skeletons. The parking lot near the dog park seems popular as well - either directly on the water east of the little bridge, or just below the little fish ladder thing on the opposite side of the bridge, where the water is swirling around and accumulating goodies from upstream.

If you aren't getting bites at dawn and they're literally jumping over your bait (happened to me on Friday, I'd toss it out, wait for 2 minutes, and then three fish would leap out of the water directly above where my hook was laying on the bottom), try using a rooster tail or other flashy spinning lure with a couple BB sized split shot, each weigh 4 or 6 inches apart (this helps keep the line from getting wrapped around the lure.) Just toss it over and past the fish who're jumping and reel it past them at a medium or fast speed - stocker trout are aggressive and when they're jumping for bugs on the surface, they'll snap at anything that comes within six feet or so. Make sure to start reeling ASAP (with a spinning reel you can start reeling while it's in midair, this will keep slack from accumulating and it'll "whip" around the lure in the opposing direction from you as it falls, so it's less likely to get tangled on the line in theory) as it'll sink into weeds if you don't pull the lure back right away..

Wal-mart has the cheapest spinning lures I've found which is important when you are learning your knots and stuff (they sell a lot of spinning lures for $1.25-1.75, and they've got a five or six-pack of different-colored ones for like 7 bucks), you should go out assuming that you're going to lose your lures and stuff either due to bad casting, underwater hazards, or bad knot-tying (I'm bad at missing a step in a few types of knots and the only way to get better is practise practise practise, preferably on lures that don't cost 8 bucks each.)

Wal-Mart also has a nice little rod-holder spike for 4 bucks and change (they're painted green and yellow go Ducks LOL!) that has a little pedal to step onto to force it into the ground - this is helpful at AB since the ground is sooooo packed with gravel a half-inch below the grass around the canal that it's pretty tough to shove a stake into the ground! If you are on the park-side, try to use the buried old concrete curb about 5-6 feet back from the bank, you can often find a seam, but I personally took a file to the spike end of my rod-holder and STILL bent it accidentally once or twice on that damn packed gravel!

I wouldn't recommend Wal-Mart for much else regarding fishing supplies and purchasing them in a cost-effective manner though, BiMart is usually cheaper and has more knowledgeable staff.

Cabela's is rad but as a newbie you may want to avoid it without going in with a game plan, you aren't going to find a very competitive price but you WILL be able to find more 'specific' lures, scents, and synthetic bait there if you decide you just have to go get a Panther Martin XXL EZYGLOW9000 or whatever, immediately. I'd recommend sniping their online deals - even their sales flyers in the paper or over holidays, are mostly bait-and-switch ads for stuff that they won't actually have on the floor in the store. And anyone you talk to in there is a little more likely to try and up-sell you than other places.

If you're looking for a certain color of power bait or eggs though because someone told you that ONLY one or another color is working, get ready to drive all over or ask them where they get theirs - most stores around here seem to have a sketchy selection of color choices so it can be a crap-shoot if you simply must find some lemon-lime colored power eggs that day.

I personally have the best turn-around for my buck off of two yellow-green (lemon-lime) colored power eggs on a small hook, with a leader between 24 and 48". At JC pond I have a lot of luck using a leader up to 5' on the south side where the water's deeper, with the carolina rig.

I try to make it there at daybreak for easy eatin' fish the first couple days after a stocking at AB and at JC for a week or so afterward, I'm the tall dude sitting on a bucket with a dog and some earphones probably in my ears, who's happy to say howdy. (old buckets with lids that work are perfect for a combination seat/lure-box/fish/drink container, I've found that carting out three or four largish objects is more obnoxious than just a rod, a bucket, and a little shoulder bag of stuff).

editor's note: sorry for the terrible grammar and typos when I put this up at first, I was at a family gathering, typing on my android tablet while surrounded by screaming kids and their parents. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
coyo7e said:
If you're looking for a certain color of power bait or eggs though because someone told you that ONLY one or another color is working, get ready to drive all over or ask them where they get theirs - most stores around here seem to have a sketchy selection of color choices so it can be a crap-shoot if you simply must find some lemon-lime colored power eggs that day.

I personally have the best turn-around for my buck off of two yellow-green (lemon-lime) colored power eggs on a small hook, with a leader between 24 and 48". At JC pond I have a lot of luck using a leader up to 5' on the south side where the water's deeper, with the carolina rig.

Yep. Lemon/Lime Power Eggs, have proved best for me. However, I never leave home without at least four or five different colors. Sometimes the fish will only hit, one color.

I've also had good luck with White, Orange, Chartreuse, and Bubble Gum (Pink and White), and sometimes solid pink. Each bottle, of the eggs, also gets a good soaking of scent before each trip. A mix of Garlic, Anise, Shrimp, and Salmon egg oils works best for me.

My best days have also been, when starting with 3 - 3.5' of leader. When the leader gets below 2', I re-tie another 3+ footer. Fish generally look up, and in front of them, to find food. But sometimes, they'll scavenge the bottom. So, if long leaders don't do the trick--go short, and see if that works.

Here is the type of rig being described. But another reminder, to put a plastic bead between your egg/slip sinker and the swivel.

You will also want to use 2, or 3, Power Eggs; dependent upon your chosen hook size.

P.S. I'd also recommend tossing, some Thomas Buoyant spoons too. I love a strike, on a moving target!

pb-rig-e1284053928138.png

C
coyo7e
I called the stocking hotline late this afternoon and found out that ABC got stocked on Monday or Tuesday this week (I think they have a different schedule for holidays,) so I got out there tonight an hour before sundown and got three 11"-12" fish for tomorrow's supper, and will probably hit it at daybreak for the next couple mornings (I got a rough sunburn at JC Pond the other day trying in vain to catch an 18"+ trout that kept jumping around in front of me, so I've been avoiding daytime sun) so you can probably get decent luck until Sunday or so. Most of the folks who were there when I showed up were already at or near their limit and just screwing around.

I went to Bi Mart on Royal the other day and the older guy who works the Sporting Goods department looked at me like I had two heads when I asked if they had any lemon-lime power eggs (I'm almost out!) in stock. He first claimed that "Bi Mart doesn't carry that color" to which I replied that I'd been in Florence last weekend and they had a LEMON LIME labelled section for power eggs and I'd had to return to Eugene a day before their stock came in. Then he got pissy and waved me at a bunch of pink and orange and other colors I already had around and went to talk to someone else about some hunting gear. I was a little shocked because if someone came into my store and said "Hey everybody I have spoken with this season is KILLING IT on this color of bait, do your/could you stock it?" I'd go out of my way to make sure they were on the shelf within a week.. :(

I tried to look for power eggs online but it seems like you'll end up spending 8-10 bucks if you order them online. Anyone got any suggestions on a reasonably-priced way to procure a specific color/flavor of power eggs outside of hassling every store in a ten mile radius? I've only got like 12 lemon-lime left.. I've begun to use one lemon-lime and one of some other color.. ;)

C
coyo7e
But all the lemon-lime ones are like 8.99 + S&H. :(

R
riverman1
coyo7e said:
But all the lemon-lime ones are like 8.99 + S&H. :(

I believe at this time, Cabelas has the Lemon-Lime power eggs on sale for $2.99 to be shipped in to our Springfield store, free of shipping charges. I will except any corrections if I am wrong in this. I believe they call them magnum power eggs. These may not be the ones you are looking for?

troutdude
troutdude
Maybe they are in short supply. Those are my favorite color too. In the past, Bi-Mart in Corvallis, has special ordered different colors for me. They may still do that. It wouldn't hurt to call, and pose the question (but maybe not to the butt head that you came in contact with).

C
coyo7e
riverman1 said:
I believe at this time, Cabelas has the Lemon-Lime power eggs on sale for $2.99 to be shipped in to our Springfield store, free of shipping charges. I will except any corrections if I am wrong in this. I believe they call them magnum power eggs. These may not be the ones you are looking for?
I'll check for them online through Cabela's then, if I don't happen to head out to Florence again first to try my hand at the jetty fishing or bluebacks. I ended up getting some chartreuse power eggs as they're the closest thing I could find to lemon-lime on any shelves, anywhere in town. :(

H
HVFishing
Hello! I'm also newly returned to fishing. I have been to Blue River Reservoir and had great luck fishing off the bridge before Mona campground... but never have I gone to ABC. I've also been to Dexter and caught a few small trout... and Fall Creek Reservoir and lucked out there except for a smaller rainbow that worked himself off my hook.
I'll have to check out ABC after reading this thread.
Also... I haven't really delved into rigging yet. I usually just tie a hook on, put a couple split shots up about 8-10 inches... sometimes use a bobber... fish with a worm and have had some luck.
Am I just wasting my time or should I study up on rigs?
Thanks, and happy to be here.

C
coyo7e
Trout like cool water and do not like getting eaten by ospreys, so being able to fish off the bottom can be useful.

You'll probably catch something at ABC with a bobber though if you go within a couple-few days of it getting stocked. Saw a guy catch one the other night there with a bobber, although most people don't use them around there - the water is (slowly) moving so it eventually ends up pulling the bobber into the bank though.