Need some help catching steelhead

M
MoFlyfishing
i just moved here from missouri and ive been a couple of times but im not having any succes catching any steel head im swinging flys on my eight wieght

O
osmosis
We're sorta in the "in between" period when the summers are all old and nasty and the winters havent really shown up yet. In about two months you should be able to find some nice winter steel swinging flies.

M
MoFlyfishing
Well what fly selection do i need

O
osmosis
One of the fly guys will be better at giving you the bug's names, but most of the leeches and nymphs work same with egg patterns. most things that are black, olive, brown, purple, pink, red or green have potential at catching winter steelhead.

You can catch winter steelhead on a 1/2" piece of yarn so don't give them more credit than they deserve.

F
FishFinger
Welcome to the Pacific Northwest. There is the potential for great fun with your fly rod here. Osmo summed up the basics nicely. Most patterns that incorporate those colors are proven effective. Hackled up patterns a kin to woolly buggers are a perennial producing fly types, as well as streamers and more traditional nymphs.

Simple presentations; a wisp of maribu, a few wraps of thread on a #10 pupa with a 5mm red bead pinned 18" up the leader. A classic steel head rigging.

Another thing to consider is micro jig & float. It gives fly fishing a new wrinkle.

M
MoFlyfishing
thank you ill try all that out is there any good public acces around medford

J
joesnuffy
I've gone an entire season without catching steelhead on a fly.

B
bigsteel
i use macks canyon,,,purple peril,green butt skunks,freight train and polar shrimp.........try an eggo their simple and effective!!!!!!!

M
Mad dog
MoFlyfishing said:
thank you ill try all that out is there any good public acces around medford

The Galice stretch has good access and should have steelhead in it right now! Or try above Casey state park up to the dam. I have seen lot's of steelhead hooked right in the hatchery hole by guys wading the gravelbar on the boat lauch side of the river, it's fairly good indicator water when it is below 1500cfs. Try the riffle above Casey, lot's of fish hooked there as well.

H
halibuthitman
If you are gonna try the micro jig and bobber on your flyrod a little trick I do on smaller rivers is I fill my spare spool with nothing but 8-10 lb braid and tie on a mono leader... it works great for reducing drag... now I know this breaks from the traditional use and style of fly fishing, but so does the jig and bobber.. doesn't it?

R
redhawk50
so what is the benefit of using a fly rod with spinning gear versus just using spinning gear? Am I missing something or wouldn't you just not use a fly rod to fish that way?

H
halibuthitman
redhawk50 said:
so what is the benefit of using a fly rod with spinning gear versus just using spinning gear? Am I missing something or wouldn't you just not use a fly rod to fish that way?

options.... just like some runs or holes are left or right handed some locations are better suited to differnt gear, myself I just use flies on day trips, but when im traveling and 3 miles up a river in alaska or british columbia that I have little knowledge of I keep about 5 jigs and 2 bobbers on me so I can exploit the whole river, if you have jigs and flies you have almost no unfishable water on a river, so I do it so as not to limit myself. I know I can catch a fish with either so I don't really have a hangup we the breaking traditions crap.... and im tired of carry spin and fly gear so I just improvise when needed.

M
MoFlyfishing
thank you guys i appercate all ur help

M
MoFlyfishing
thanks i will put the words of wisdom to work.