Need Information about Coal Bank Slough Coos Bay

B
bd2cool
Going to be in Coos Bay for three days. The Coal Bank Slough runs right behind the Edge Water Inn that we are staying in. Has any one fish there?
If so what did you catch and what bait. I'm going to give it a try-its water and salmon is running so why not.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I have never caught anything from Coalbank Slough, but I have caught salmon from Isthmus Slough. I have no idea if salmon travel up Coalbank, but you are pretty darn close to the confluence with the two. On Isthmus I have been successful by casting both spinners and eggs under a bobber. My favorite lure was an old garage sale special large rooster tail in a chartreuse color and silver blade. I couldn't tell you what size of lure it actually was. I have had a couple of salmon on large blade Blue Fox's of various colors as well.

I have never personally caught one, but my Dad tells stories of hooking into striped bass on the Isthmus when he was younger. He was up stream farther though in some of the marsh grass. He used to take a fishing pole with him, and bobber fish, when he would duck hunt up there. As far as I know it is just a fish story though ;)

There are also a couple of places to bank fish along the Coos River Road as well. Good luck, I hope you end up with something.

Reactions: bd2cool
B
bd2cool
Thank you for the information, we are hitting the river by boat Thursday and Friday. The Coos has been very good to us last three years. I stay at Edgewater last year but didn't take a rod with me and drove me the nuts that night looking at the water. However saw no one fishing it. Well I going to give it a try-some salmon do get lost!! I need just one lost one to fine my line.

B
bd2cool
No Title

No love for me in Coalbank Slough but by the time I got there it was low tide. However we did good in the river. My wife got a 25 lb and I got a 22 lbs Chinook plus a jack and a mackerel. Cold in the morning but turn nice after 10. Man the salmons are fat this year.

• photo30751.jpg
  • photo30752.jpg
TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Awesome!! Looks like a good time. Congrats.

B
bd2cool
No Title

Thanks-it was a great time-can't wait for the next outing. Here a action shot of me with the 22 ponder nice rod bend!

Reactions: TheKnigit