Need help with my roll cast

S
Spydeyrch
Ok,

So I was up fishing this last saturday and tried to do some roll casts. I think I got 1 correct and the rest were all like jumbled piles of bird nests (that is an exaggeration). the never seem to extend all the way to the fly and stop about half-way down the fly line. I have been trying for a few months now on a local pond/lake and can only get maybe 1 out of like 20 roll casts to go out all the way.

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong? any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

-Spydey

L
lilsalmon
I have the same problem.....most times...headin to YouTube to check out the vid...hehe

B
BigShayne
I have found that weight forward line is hard to roll cast. Also I do a false back cast to start my role. It is a little more like a spey. I need more line behind me then what I was shown on youtube. For my back cast I start slow and I don't speed up and then I stop half way and the line falls. Probably 3/4 of the line is still in front of me but having more line behind propels my wf line better and turns over a long leader.

B
bigsteel
lets hit the river and ill show you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!roll casting is a must on certain rivers,getting a nice rolled out line at 50 to 60 feet is crucial to reach some of the fish.

S
Spydeyrch
BigShayne said:
I have found that weight forward line is hard to roll cast. Also I do a false back cast to start my role. It is a little more like a spey. I need more line behind me then what I was shown on youtube. For my back cast I start slow and I don't speed up and then I stop half way and the line falls. Probably 3/4 of the line is still in front of me but having more line behind propels my wf line better and turns over a long leader.

Yeah, I have a 5wt WF floating line. I will have to try your suggestion once I get back out onto the water, hopefully soon!!!. :D

bigsteel said:
lets hit the river and ill show you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!roll casting is a must on certain rivers,getting a nice rolled out line at 50 to 60 feet is crucial to reach some of the fish.

Dude, I totally accept your offer!!! :D That will be awesome to get out on the water, be shown how to do a good roll cast and have a good time fishing!! I will just have to figure out when I can. I will keep you posted. Thanks again!!

Thanks again for the pointers everyone. they are much appreciated!

-Spydey

B
bigsteel
sweeeeeeeeeeeet,just let me know when you plan on hitting the water again

brandon4455
brandon4455
Spydeyrch said:
Sweet. Thanks, I will have to check that out. It would be really nice to have a decent roll cast.

Yeah, I have a 5wt WF floating line. I will have to try your suggestion once I get back out onto the water, hopefully soon!!!. :D

Dude, I totally accept your offer!!! :D That will be awesome to get out on the water, be shown how to do a good roll cast and have a good time fishing!! I will just have to figure out when I can. I will keep you posted. Thanks again!!

Thanks again for the pointers everyone. they are much appreciated!

-Spydey
i didn't know what was up with that, you got the perfect roll cast a few times but then it would bunch up nthe rest of the time. confusing :lol:

S
Spydeyrch
bigsteel said:
sweeeeeeeeeeeet,just let me know when you plan on hitting the water again

I am going to see if my wife wants to head down to my mom's place in a few weeks so that my mom can see and be with her new grand-son. That will giv eme the opportunity to sneak away for a few hours. We might be able to do it then. and brandon coudl go with us as he lives like just around the corner from her place. I will keep you posted.

-Spydey

S
Spydeyrch
brandon4455 said:
i didn't know what was up with that, you got the perfect roll cast a few times but then it would bunch up nthe rest of the time. confusing :lol:

Yeah I know. I was actually surprised when it rolled perfectly. I wasn't expecting it at all. so then I thought GREAT!! I have it down now. but nope, my hope was squashed flat when I tried again and got a nasty ol' wad of line. So sas..... so so sad. Brings a tear to my eye.

-Spydey

brandon4455
brandon4455
Spydeyrch said:
Yeah I know. I was actually surprised when it rolled perfectly. I wasn't expecting it at all. so then I thought GREAT!! I have it down now. but nope, my hope was squashed flat when I tried again and got a nasty ol' wad of line. So sas..... so so sad. Brings a tear to my eye.

-Spydey

well, dont feel too bad because although i can rollcast okay a lot of the time i can't do it consitently :lol: i messed up quite a few times on saturday infact