Need advice on hunting knife.

D
dealrocker
After a long absence I am back to hunting. I checked out my hunting gears last night and found hunting knives are missing. So I have planned to hit our local Cabela's store this weekend to get some new ones. Want to know your advice and recommendations to make my shopping easy and convenient.

Thanks in advance.

D
dude young
I have the Cabela's PBS (Portable Butcher Shop)

Made by Buck with a lifetime warranty on the blade. Even covers free sharpening for life. I love the thing. Mine has a camo finish. Not sure why they feel the need to make it hard to find your knife should you drop in on the ground in low light conditions. If you ask me, chartreuse would be my choice.

D
Derek
Buck knives or Gerber Have always been good for me prety much as long as it holds an edge it's a winner. I got a Cutco hunting knife and fillet knife for christmas and they work awsome and are sharp sharp. Think you gota go through Cutco to get them.

H
halibuthitman
4" case xx sodbuster folding knife, but heres a piece of wisdom ive learned... forget your knife on purpose..... this will almost gaurantee getting a nice bull or buck:D:rolleyes::rolleyes: and if that fails to work forget the camera and your tag.... this will positively ensure the success of your trip:shock:

J
joesnuffy
Not sure what brand to get but I'd recomend one with a "gut hook". makes it easy to skin an animal.

F
fishkiller
I recently found a Knives of Alaska African Safari on ebay. It is a partially serrated fixed blade and I highly reccomend them. Great steel and hold an edge quite well. Perfect for deer and elk.

C
capblack
I use a folding gerber gator and an old timer they both have 3 inch blades. I have to agree the ones with the orange handles are nice to find, and Ive never used a gut hook, but the next knife I buy will definitely have one. good luck and happy hunting, Brian

C
capblack
:think::think: I thought the gut hook was for gutting them without puncturing the gut sack, not skinning??
joesnuffy said:
Not sure what brand to get but I'd recomend one with a "gut hook". makes it easy to skin an animal.

T
the_intimidator03
just a touch with cutco... you do have to get them directly through a cutco representative.

F
fishkiller
Depending on your budget you can definitely find a great blade without paying Benchmade prices.

R
RLK
This is a custom handmade folder with water buffalo horn scales brought back from the phillipins. Great knife. Last deer it touched, cleaned, skinned, and still shaved. for the money you spend you can't go wrong with a gerber, inexpensive but holds a good edge.

troutdude
troutdude
In my opinion, Buck and Gerber are very good bets. Benchmade is also high quality, but carries a price tag that is difficult to justify.

P.S. If I'm not mistaken, I think Gerber's are made in Portland. So, your purchase would help support our local economy.

(But, please correct me if that isn't correct).

A
adambomb
troutdude said:
In my opinion, Buck and Gerber are very good bets. Benchmade is also high quality, but carries a price tag that is difficult to justify.

P.S. If I'm not mistaken, I think Gerber's are made in Portland. So, your purchase would help support our local economy.

(But, please correct me if that isn't correct).

Gerber, Buck, Benchmade, Kershaw, Leatherman are all made here in Oregon. So are my brothers knives, if you can afford one;)

F
fishkiller
Today I just recieved the 2 Knives of Alaska knives that I ordered off of Ebay. I bought the Alpha wolf and the Bear cub. Let me tell you they are first class. High quality steel and top grain leather sheaths. I own gerber, Buck, Benchmade, CRKT, and SOG. These knives blow them all away!! Definitely money well spent, lifetime warranty. BEST of all made in the USA. Check them out you wont be disappointed. Shaving sharp.

Last edited: