N. Umpqua closed to angling!

troutdude
troutdude
August 9, 2021

ROSEBURG, Ore – Low numbers of summer steelhead returning to the North Umpqua River prompted state fishery managers to close the river and its tributaries to all angling from the mouth to the marker below Soda Springs Dam. The emergency closure is effective Aug. 10 through Nov. 30, 2021.

Initial counts of summer steelhead passing Winchester Dam are historically low at about 20 percent of average. These counts are determined from Winchester Dam video of migrating fish as well as from snorkel counts in Steamboat and Canton Creeks.

“This information, along with the continued low flow and high water temperatures, led us to this decision. We plan to have this closure in place through November to provide as much protection as possibly for these wild summer steelhead,” said Evan Leonetti, assistant district fisheries biologist.

Greg Huchko, Umpqua district fish biologist said the decision was not easy to make and he hopes anglers will understand the need for the closure during these unprecedented conditions.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
So is that from the mouth at the coast? Or the fork in River forks?

jamisonace
jamisonace
NKlamerus said:
So is that from the mouth at the coast? Or the fork in River forks?
Forks

jamisonace
jamisonace
troutdude said:
August 9, 2021

ROSEBURG, Ore – Low numbers of summer steelhead returning to the North Umpqua River prompted state fishery managers to close the river and its tributaries to all angling from the mouth to the marker below Soda Springs Dam. The emergency closure is effective Aug. 10 through Nov. 30, 2021.

Initial counts of summer steelhead passing Winchester Dam are historically low at about 20 percent of average. These counts are determined from Winchester Dam video of migrating fish as well as from snorkel counts in Steamboat and Canton Creeks.

“This information, along with the continued low flow and high water temperatures, led us to this decision. We plan to have this closure in place through November to provide as much protection as possibly for these wild summer steelhead,” said Evan Leonetti, assistant district fisheries biologist.

Greg Huchko, Umpqua district fish biologist said the decision was not easy to make and he hopes anglers will understand the need for the closure during these unprecedented conditions.
Good. Water is way to warm for catch and release on that river. My daughter and I like to hang out on our "sitting rocks" and her "mermaid rock" at my brother's house because they are normally about 6 inches underwater and perfect to stay cool. Was there yesterday and the rocks are about 6 inches exposed. I've never seen it like that before. Praying for rain and lots of it.

Reactions: troutdude