Mystery fish, coho? chinook? or hybrid?

T
TeamRamRod
So I was fishin the Clackamas river yesterday with a buddy. Drift fishin the rapids for some hungry trout. Picked up a few, then caught this guy. Its hard tellin what it is. With the color of the gums, I thought coho for sure. But then I looked up a link (ill post at the end), and its got people sayin all sorts of stuff. Seems like nobody REALLY knows. Lookin for what ya'lls opinion is. Thanks a lot ya'll! ~ Team RamRod

Here's the link if you want to check it out...

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/f.../377533/1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
M
Mad dog
Chinook jack! No Doubt about it!

E
eat, sleep, fish
Mad dog said:
Chinook jack! No Doubt about it!

Definitely a Chinook Jack.

J
jordanshadow
That's funny, I pulled one of those from McIver park last night and was wondering the same thing! That's what brought me here.

B
beaverfan
Definitely a Chinook jack. Especially considering it's a hatchery fish. I don't think the hatchery is gonna make a hybrid.

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
Thats just a a jackanook. a small subspecies of the chinook variety. similar but not related to a jackalope. crazy i didn't know that they got that small though hears one i got last fall.
DSCI2811.jpg

E
eat, sleep, fish
It's a mini jack. There's always quite a few of them down here in the rogue during the springer run.

N
NoobTooner
i've gotta smelly thought... how's about the posibility that someone at the hatch plant squeezed the wrong fish into the egg tray???? go take a look in my pic album at the one on the top right( just added a pic so it's now 2nd one down on left) . we were all stumped by this fishies washed out gums last season. especially since it was fin-clipped. i was telling my buddy it was a masive coho 'cause of the gums and he was stickin' to nook as he pointed out the spots. they are showing up more and more the last few years.
just a thought.

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
I wonder if that is possible...

M
Mad dog
eat said:
It's a mini jack. There's always quite a few of them down here in the rogue during the springer run.

Lot's of mini-jacks on the Umpqua also....they always signal the beginning of the end of the springer run! They are always the last to show, usually towards the end of the run! I have caught tons of those things between 12-15" while summer steelhead fishing. The gum lines are a pretty poor indicator on the smaller jacks, they are mostly not as dark as adult fish.

T
TeamRamRod
I really appreciate all the replys! I had similiar thoughts, but its really nice knowin what ya'll think too! The fish was beautiful fresh out of the water. Color was just amazing. Hard tellin from the picture, but ya'll that have caught em before prolly know what im talkin bout. Thanks again! May your line stay tight, and massive fish strike! LETS GO! ~ Team RamRod

Top Bottom