My new setup

brandon4455
brandon4455
got a new fly setup for bigger rivers and stillwaters today..arrived from the fly shop in redding,ca. this is one of their brand or rods and reels and i have to say i am VERY impressed. the rod has great action too it,very comfortable grip and the reel is excellent! nice smooth drag that wont stick when fighting a bigger trout it is a 9ft 5wt 4pc with a 4/5 reel and a scientific anglers 5wt gpx line along with a tube and a little pouch to keep the reel in even came with an extra tip section in case it gets broken!. top of the line stuff. testing it on some stocked trophy trout tomorrow.. can't wait to break it in!!

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
It's a Ross branded for the flyshop . Very wise rod purchase Brandon I'm impressed.

brandon4455
brandon4455
halibuthitman said:
It's a Ross branded for the flyshop . Very wise rod purchase Brandon I'm impressed.

brad, thank you for clarifying that, i had casted a reel very similar before and it just read ross to me.. added pics of the inside of the reel ..they are crappy cause im still messing with my camera settings and the thing is so shiny its hard to get a good pic! :lol:

V
Van
nice. grats.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Check those tip sections and see if they are marked. One might be for accuracy and the other for distance.

brandon4455
brandon4455
that never occured to me.. i checked their website and in the description it says it is a backup incase of an accident

jamisonace
jamisonace
I have an Echo 4 piece with two tips. One is marked A and the other D. I've always figured it meant accuracy and distance but to tell you the truth, I have no clue if I'm right. Maybe one means Destroyed and the other Alternate??? :)

brandon4455 said:
that never occured to me.. i checked their website and in the description it says it is a backup incase of an accident

L
lilsalmon
nice rod...the spare tip is an excellent idea...bathroom doors can be lethal on a rod!!!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
lilsalmon said:
nice rod...the spare tip is an excellent idea...bathroom doors can be lethal on a rod!!!!
yeah its a great idea.. im glad i got the extra knowing how accident prone i am :lol: sleeping parents can also be lethal.. i learned that early last month :p

F
FlyBum
That will be fun :)

I'm looking for a Winston BIIx or BIIIx in a 6wt. Lookin to dump the old Sage

brandon4455
brandon4455
FlyBum said:
That will be fun :)

I'm looking for a Winston BIIx or BIIIx in a 6wt. Lookin to dump the old Sage

make sure to post your new setup when you get it!!!

W
waco
Nice set up Brandon, it looks very nice!! Whats the link for the store?
Hey flybum I got a garbage can right here in my house whenever you want to dump that old fly rod!! ;)

Y
Yohan
jamisonace said:
I have an Echo 4 piece with two tips. One is marked A and the other D. I've always figured it meant accuracy and distance but to tell you the truth, I have no clue if I'm right. Maybe one means Destroyed and the other Alternate??? :)

You are exactly right about the double tips (accuracy and distance; although I do like the destroy and alternate names as well), they are suppose to give the rod a different action. I've always wondered about that rod (if it is a ploy or legit). Echo makes quality rods so I'm hesitant to think they would stoop to a ploy. What do you think. Can you tell the difference between the two tips?

Don't mean to hijack the thread Brandon. I do think you made a good choice on your new setup, but I wouldn't expect anything less from you either! Let us know how it fish's!

F
FlyBum
Here's what I've been mainly using for trout the last three years. BIIx 4wt. with a Ross Vexsis #2 reel, changed the line a few times but now with the Rio Grand. My girlfriend has the BIIx in a 6 and I like it a lot (should steal it, but that's not nice) I've had the Sage 6wt. for a good six years and a Cabela's LST 5 (not D):lol: But, looking for a Winny 6 of my own, just because, because I can never have enough stuff. Even though it's been a few years since either of those other two rods have seen the water, I just may decide to fish a different weight rod for trout. Or if I ever break one :rolleyes: :lol:

jamisonace
jamisonace
HIJACK CONTINUATION: Honestly, I can't tell much if any difference between the two. I suppose someone could. I use it as such but I'm not sure if it matters. HIJACK DONE

Yohan said:
You are exactly right about the double tips (accuracy and distance; although I do like the destroy and alternate names as well), they are suppose to give the rod a different action. I've always wondered about that rod (if it is a ploy or legit). Echo makes quality rods so I'm hesitant to think they would stoop to a ploy. What do you think. Can you tell the difference between the two tips?

Don't mean to hijack the thread Brandon. I do think you made a good choice on your new setup, but I wouldn't expect anything less from you either! Let us know how it fish's!

F
FlyBum
Sinkline said:
Good stuff Flybum! That last photo even shows all the dirt from use! No shelf queen that one.

Randy

Thanks, but these photos don't do it justice on how I beat the hell out of a 1k $ (when it was new) setup :lol: But didn't pay that, traded a Guitar of mine to a buddy who gave me those Nautilus reels :) Good gear is meant to be used like a......... that's what those warranties are for, sent that reel in twice now, haven't broke the stick though, knock on wood :shock:

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Great job finding the best set-up for your needs,Brandon. :clap:

W
wozniasm
Sweeet! I know you'll get a lot of use out of it.

brandon4455
brandon4455
well.. heres my short report from a day of fishing for stocked trophy trout..sun,rain,wind and hail on and off.. rising fish but not much action. berg03 caught a trophy and a regular. sadly i was ill equipped for stillwater angling(didn't have any midge patterns thats what they wanted) although i did not catch any fish i had a great time... i laid out aprox 75 +ft of line in 4 hauls and almost pooped my pants when i realized how far i casted :shock: the rod lays out dries nice and delicate..loads smooth and is just all around a great setup.. just leaves me ready to hit the water again! thanks for all the feedback guys..this setup is ecxellent !! :cool:

brandon4455
brandon4455