My first (crude) jig

M
mikeredding
If I was a fish I would eat them:D!!

J
JeannaJigs
Did just that actually with some of the flashabou you sent me, worked great. I'm still figuring this stuff out, and have a long ways to go, but i'm going to try some different patterns and see how they come out. and eventually the fish will tell me whether or not they're good.

K
klamathsteel
Those dogs'll hunt :) ;)

That pink and white one is the "go to" jig for winters on the middle Rogue. ;) Nice work :clap: :clap:

J
JeannaJigs
klamathsteel said:
Those dogs'll hunt :) ;)

That pink and white one is the "go to" jig for winters on the middle Rogue. ;) Nice work :clap: :clap:
It's been my steadfast go to as well, on the Siuslaw in the winter, so it's the first pattern that popped into my brain.

F
fish_4_all
Remember too that you can palmer marabou just like you do hackle. If you really want a small profile but want a lot of action then palmering is the way to go.

Make sure to have a couple sizes of that go to jig. Never know when they want to nibble instead of gorge themselves.

J
JeannaJigs
Did not know that about palmering the marabou, will give it a try, not sure it will look so good in my hands lol, but i'll try.

I've got my go to in every size between 1/2 oz down to 1/32 oz. and every size has hooked up, so you just never know what kinda bite they're gonna have.

J
Jig'n
Great looking jigs :clap: Your a natural at it! They look way better than my first jigs.

Jig'n

J
JeannaJigs
Jig'n said:
Great looking jigs :clap: Your a natural at it! They look way better than my first jigs.

Jig'n
Well thank you, I'm going to be tying some more this weekend and see what I can come up with since I'm homebound and won't be on the water for a while now.

B
BobberDown
nice looking jigs much better than my first jigs that for sure. about that palmering marabou from my exprance it gives a much fuller and more bolky body. that is how i tie al my salmon jigs is by palmering marabou because it makes such a big jig in the water 3 marabou feathers palmerd will make a jigs the size of your fist in the water a little big for most steelhead but not always . if you want to try palmering try it with Slappen that is what i use on 90% of my jigs the problem with palmering marabou is that from the quil to the tip of the feather is 2 1/2 to 3 /12 inches where a schlappen feather is about 1 to 1 1/2 inches from the quil to the tip of the feather strands and it make a grate caler or tale for a beaded jig not to big grate actoin not to big it does not lay down to the hook it will keep that nice full profile in the water. also if you palmer to colors like pink and white the will blend together it makes for a grate looking jigs . my only sugeshon would beas you tie more jigs when you are tying off your head try to make your thread as short as possible an 1/8 in or less i figure less thread showing te less chance the fish will brake the thread . when you start to use chinlle or palmering whith feathers you can tie so you can't evan see the thread i call it blind tieing but that is just fuel for thought but very nice jigs hell it took me weeks to make my jigs look that good keep up the nice work Dan

J
JeannaJigs
BobberDown said:
nice looking jigs much better than my first jigs that for sure. about that palmering marabou from my exprance it gives a much fuller and more bolky body. that is how i tie al my salmon jigs is by palmering marabou because it makes such a big jig in the water 3 marabou feathers palmerd will make a jigs the size of your fist in the water a little big for most steelhead but not always . if you want to try palmering try it with Slappen that is what i use on 90% of my jigs the problem with palmering marabou is that from the quil to the tip of the feather is 2 1/2 to 3 /12 inches where a schlappen feather is about 1 to 1 1/2 inches from the quil to the tip of the feather strands and it make a grate caler or tale for a beaded jig not to big grate actoin not to big it does not lay down to the hook it will keep that nice full profile in the water. also if you palmer to colors like pink and white the will blend together it makes for a grate looking jigs . my only sugeshon would beas you tie more jigs when you are tying off your head try to make your thread as short as possible an 1/8 in or less i figure less thread showing te less chance the fish will brake the thread . when you start to use chinlle or palmering whith feathers you can tie so you can't evan see the thread i call it blind tieing but that is just fuel for thought but very nice jigs hell it took me weeks to make my jigs look that good keep up the nice work Dan

Thank ya! This is all new to me and I'm trying to absorb as much info as I can. I'll have to get some schlappen and give it a go, sometime next month maybe

D
Drice
That's funny,you say you screwed up, I was diggin' the looks and color pattern of that red and black one a lot!

J
JeannaJigs
Drice said:
That's funny,you say you screwed up, I was diggin' the looks and color pattern of that red and black one a lot!
lol well I had a vision in my head, and the end result was not that vision, but, I do however like that one the best. I will be making some more this week since I have the rare oppurtunity to take time off...I'll be a jig making machine. Or something ridiculous like that lol. I'm going to fidget with black and red patterns the most, so we'll see what else I can come up with, summer is creeping up and the steelhead coming over the falls are going to be hungry.

J
JeannaJigs
Welp, i didn't fish these ones because of their size, but I tied up some smaller ones, andddddddd they catch fish!

The idiot holding the rod however, can't seem to get said fish to the bank before the head shakers made their break for freedom.

But they worked :)

F
fisherkaran
you no the tail is made of marabo:think:well it is and when that stuff goes in water it gets all wavy WHEN YOU ADD ACTION.

LOOKS LIKE A GREAT COHO/STEELHEAD JIG:clap:

J
JeannaJigs
fisherkaran said:
you no the tail is made of marabo:think:well it is and when that stuff goes in water it gets all wavy WHEN YOU ADD ACTION.

LOOKS LIKE A GREAT COHO/STEELHEAD JIG:clap:
Yep I know it's made of marabou, I made it lol. I prefer schlappen and rabbit fur these days, or a combo of 'bou and schlappen now that I've been tying more and getting it down. I've hooked up multiple times on jigs I tied so I'm doing somethin' right.

T
Troutier Bassier
Rabbit fur looks REAL good in the Water, Some guys make Bass jigs and Musky Spinners out of Rabit Hair.
It has that soft Marabou action in the water, But it wants to go Back, so If theres current its gonna be wavy...

So have you caught Anything on that jig yet?

J
JeannaJigs
Troutier Bassier said:
Rabbit fur looks REAL good in the Water, Some guys make Bass jigs and Musky Spinners out of Rabit Hair.
It has that soft Marabou action in the water, But it wants to go Back, so If theres current its gonna be wavy...

So have you caught Anything on that jig yet?
That original jig died...a horrible jig death. I accidently dropped it into a 20 foot deep pool. I've hooked fish on the red and black ones and some other ones that I have tied up since...though I have not been able to successfully land one and toss it on the grill.

F
FishSchooler
JeannaJigs said:
That original jig died...a horrible jig death. I accidently dropped it into a 20 foot deep pool. I've hooked fish on the red and black ones and some other ones that I have tied up since...though I have not been able to successfully land one and toss it on the grill.

Nononono you got it all wrong there. IF you dropped it in a deep pool, that must mean you were fishing there. So if you were fishing there, there must of been fish there. So if there were fish there, a fish would of eaten the jig. I think of it a big fish snapping your leader! :D

J
JeannaJigs
FishSchooler said:
Nononono you got it all wrong there. IF you dropped it in a deep pool, that must mean you were fishing there. So if you were fishing there, there must of been fish there. So if there were fish there, a fish would of eaten the jig. I think of it a big fish snapping your leader! :D
Lol maybe. Though salmon don't chomp stuff on the bottom, they can't see it. Eyes on the top of the head and what not. It had a real nice profile in the water though, woulda worked this fall for the Silvers at Siltcoos I think.

F
fish_4_all
Anymore luck with them? Any color pattern that is working better? I am gonna start tying a lot of them getting ready for salmon season.

BTW, any luck with my shrimp jigs?