My favorite place to be!!!!

T
the_intimidator03
Hawk said:
Mother Nature is very powerful & mysterious...

:D:D:D

not to mention unforgiving with the recent rain's in western oregon lol blowing out rivers for salmon and steelhead lol

S
strawberry shortcake
Fished the mighty chocolate yesterday (aka Wallowa River) and pulled out a 10" trout and a hog of a mountain whitefish! Female full of eggs. So much meat I was able to fillet it. The pics show the fish next to my sink and then all prepared for the freezer. The two slabs of meat came from the whitefish. It is so easy filleting those things because of the large bones, plus the skin pulls off. The only thing left in the meat are the smaller bones off the spine but they only go down so far. No problem. My pics are in my album because I don't know how to insert them here.

Thanks Troutski. The rod is perfect.

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Yummmmm

Yummmmm

You are totally welcome, glad it worked out for you. Mmmmm fish on the BBQ, not much better than that.

Chuck

R
Reed
BBQ'd is right up there with smokin them...

Your not alone S/S with postin pix...

S
strawberry shortcake
The river was even higher today with lots more bank cave-ins and large trees snagged in the middle of the fast moving (and changing river bed) water. I didn't get a single bite all afternoon. I decided to let the river win today. However, on my way back to the pasture gate I thought I'ld try for another mountain whitefish so I stopped at their favorite hideout and dropped in a worm on one of my own lures (a bright orange octopus fish topped with a blue bead topped with a small spinner). Nothing. Before resuming my walk back to the gate I decided to practice my bait casting so I moved out from under the tree, casted out, bounced on the bottom a bit, and WHAM!

I thought I had caught a submerged moving log (as there are plenty). Bent my new pole and took line off my reel. I cussed and tried to move along the bank (in knee deep water) so my line and/or pole wouldn't break.

But then I felt a hard wriggle and thought maybe I had another huge whitefish on the line. The river was moving fast and whatever was on my line wanted to swim away so I gave it some line by loosening my tension. I continued to try to wear it out by walking down the bank and reeling in, giving line, reeling in. It wasn't jumping so I still thought whitefish.

Then I saw it as I got it close to the shallows. Rainbow! And a big one! I didn't want to lose it so I let it tire a bit more. I was finally able to reel it in to the shallow bank, and THEN it started to fight (apparently it didn't have the strength to fight me AND the raging river in the main current). Thank you Troutski that I now have a short pole!!!! I could see my lure at the side of its mouth so I knew it wasn't a secure catch. I netted it as quick as I could without falling into the current, and walked a bit up to dry land to see what I had landed. 16 inches worth of trout!!!! And out of a raging river that no one is fishing because it is "too high".

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
NICE NATE! Way to go!!!

S
strawberry shortcake
By the way, that strange looking ruler is an architect's ruler. You can draw to different scales based on which side of the prism shape you want to use. If we were allowed to whack school kids like they did when I was in school (and yes, I got whacked a few times), that ruler would be a lethal weapon!

So...based on the bottom scale of that ruler, my fish is 'bout 5.3 feet long. No wonder I thought I had caught a log!

Last edited:
S
strawberry shortcake
Went fishing today. I fed a LOT of fish. I did pull one to shore. When I caught it it felt very much like the trout that I thought was a whitefish. No fight and was a dead weight as I reeled it in. But hope springs eternal and I thought I might have a trout on the line or a whitefish. As it got closer to shore I could feel it wriggle a bit but this one had no fight at all in it.

It was pulling pretty hard though but I finally managed to reel it in. It's a beauty but I can't identify it under any of the species we have around here. It took a while but I finally found it under redlavarock.

Say troutdude, do you think you can find me a recipe for fried rock? I tried to fillet the darn thing but ruined my knife. Click on the link below for a picture. I am quite proud of my catch. I've never caught one before and probably never will again.

Last edited:
T
the_intimidator03
Nice catch... but it doesn't look like lava rock to me to be honest do you still have it? it almost looks like red jasper or agate can ya get another closer picture of it?

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
troutdude said:
I vote to replace all over paid Portland weather casters, with your bats. At least the bats are 100% accurate forecasters. And we'd only have to pay them in juicy bugs! We'd just have to watch where we step. LOL!

haha I concur!!

S
strawberry shortcake
I put more pictures of the rock in my album. With all the holes in it, I assumed it was red lava rock.

troutdude
troutdude
strawberry shortcake said:
Went fishing today. I fed a LOT of fish. I did pull one to shore. When I caught it it felt very much like the trout that I thought was a whitefish. No fight and was a dead weight as I reeled it in. But hope springs eternal and I thought I might have a trout on the line or a whitefish. As it got closer to shore I could feel it wriggle a bit but this one had no fight at all in it.

It was pulling pretty hard though but I finally managed to reel it in. It's a beauty but I can't identify it under any of the species we have around here. It took a while but I finally found it under redlavarock.

Say troutdude, do you think you can find me a recipe for fried rock? I tried to fillet the darn thing but ruined my knife. Click on the link below for a picture. I am quite proud of my catch. I've never caught one before and probably never will again.

Dear Ms. Brokenknife,

Pay Dental Insurance Premium then:

Use a Meat Mallet to tenderize
Simply sprinkle w/ salt and pepper
Douse in Egg batter, then flour
Wrap in Bacon
Saute on High heat

Voila! A tasty treat.

Ha! I slay me!

S
strawberry shortcake
Anybody have any advice or explanation as to why my photos are hanging over the edge of the blog page? How do I make them smaller?

troutdude
troutdude
I'm happy to see that you went out and purchased the "new & Improved" meat tenderizer!

S
strawberry shortcake
Went fishin on my favorite river today. Caught two 13" and 14" mountain whitefish and two 10" trout. Already in the freezer. Went to the whitefish hole and sure enough, there she was (I have at last count caught probably 10 whitefish in that spot over the last 3 years). The other whitefish was in the eddy of a downed treeroot ball. The trout were in hiding in undercut banks. Whole sections of that river have changed course and a shallow lake is forming in one area. Plus it seems that some of the dryer slopes are now starting to sink. The whole riverbed area, old and new, is spongy and waterlogged. I haven't stepped in the river but I always come back home with my jeans wet to my knees just walking through the flooded areas.

troutdude
troutdude
What? After that awesome recipe that I sent...

You didn't go back to the famous Rock Fish hole? LOL

S
strawberry shortcake
Yesterday I went back to my favorite fishing spots (including the rock hole). The fish feasted on worms from my worm garden (which is doing great and just does its thing without me working at it), but I didn't land a single one of them. Then the storm cell to the South of me got really threatening (I knew it was there and building but I refused to look at it because damn-it, I was FISHING). The river was already high and had moved a huge root ball (with the tree no longer attached and no where to be seen), and an entire tree with its rootball, further down the river. A storm cell like the one that was threatening can bring flash floods so I started the mile-plus walk home, and this time I gave the river a wide birth. By the time I got home this storm cell looked down right tornado-belt nasty. So I gathered my dogs in the house (all two of them but they are frisky working ranch dogs and didn't want to come inside) and hunkered down. Then the wind and hail started. Hail and debris were hitting the windows so hard I thought they would break. I put the dogs in the bathroom and just rode the quick but violent storm out. This morning, in the light of day, I decided it was a good time to think about painting the house. The hail knocked off all the loose paint.

I stopped by the river later this afternoon and it is higher than it was yesterday. So today, I let the river win. Sometimes the river wins.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Damn that hail. Sounds like it won too.

Hail - 1
Paint - 0

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Dang!!! Sounds a lot like the stories you would hear coming out of Kansas or something!!

S
strawberry shortcake
I've been busy with ranch work and gun stuff. But a friend of mine just gave me some salmon egg bait tonight that he cured. The last time I was on the river I saw a big ol fish (as in plus 21 inches) that wanted nothing to do with my worm (though I brought home two really nice 10 and 13 inch fish with worms on wedding rings). I know exactly where that fish hangs out and I intend to catch it. It's a big one too.

Meanwhile, the last time I was on the river, I caught a nice 14 inch in my favorite fishing hole. It gave me quite a show with five complete jumps out of the fast moving river. It was the most fighten fish I have ever caught and I had more than a little trouble getting it in my net. I was so impressed with the entertainment than I let it go after catching it.