My carps flared up tonight. :D

bass
bass
Wow, that is a really great day of carp fishing! Thanks for sharing.

troutdude
troutdude
flocaster said:
They sure don't smell like donut holes!

My favorite comeback of 2014!

:lol:

F
flocaster
troutdude said:
My favorite comeback of 2014!

:lol:

Thaaaanks... lol

B
burlajohnny
Nice catch! But where did you catch those? I usually catch carp off the columbia

U
universalfishermatt
Random rivers and sloughs

U
universalfishermatt
Omg why did you kill that mirror???? My heart broke

B
burlajohnny
universalfishermatt said:
Omg why did you kill that mirror???? My heart broke
Mirror?

U
universalfishermatt
Mirror carp on the left?

B
burlajohnny
universalfishermatt said:
Mirror carp on the left?
What's a mirror carp? Lol idk what that is. Did I do something bad?

F
flocaster
burlajohnny said:
What's a mirror carp? Lol idk what that is. Did I do something bad?

The fish on the left is a mirror carp, as opposed the the other fish which is a common carp. In our area they are pretty few and far between from what I understand. In Europe they are a fairly prized catch and release game fish known for their large scales and patterns that are unique to each fish.

B
burlajohnny
flocaster said:
The fish on the left is a mirror carp, as opposed the the other fish which is a common carp. In our area they are pretty few and far between from what I understand. In Europe they are a fairly prized catch and release game fish known for their large scales and patterns that are unique to each fish.
Oh, so they're rare?

F
flocaster
I'm not an expert on it but from what I understand, yes it is. When was that pic taken?

B
burlajohnny
flocaster said:
I'm not an expert on it but from what I understand, yes it is. When was that pic taken?
June this year

B
burlajohnny
flocaster said:
Wait, so I wasn't allowed to keep it?

F
flocaster
Grass carp are the only carp in Oregon that you can't fish for. All other sub-species of carp seem to be lumped together and there are no statewide size or number of fish you can keep restrictions, although there might be restrictions on a certain body of water. You are also allowed to take them by Angling, Hand, Bow & Arrow, Crossbow, Spear, Spear Gun, Gaff & Snag Hook. So you were most likely fine. May I ask where you caught it?

B
burlajohnny
flocaster said:
Grass carp are the only carp in Oregon that you can't fish for. All other sub-species of carp seem to be lumped together and there are no statewide size or number of fish you can keep restrictions, although there might be restrictions on a certain body of water. You are also allowed to take them by Angling, Hand, Bow & Arrow, Crossbow, Spear, Spear Gun, Gaff & Snag Hook. So you were most likely fine. May I ask where you caught it?
Lol you probably want to go catch? I asked the owner of this thread the same question but he didn't tell me. Since I'm a nice guy, I'll tell you. I caught it at Chinook landing. I caught off a special homemade bait I make. I explained how to make it on a older thread.

M
montym
You are allowed to keep it, but some folks prefer not to harm them. Google it up, believe it or not in Europe some of the bigger carps have their own names and people take pride in catching the same fish multiple times over the years.

F
flocaster
montym said:
You are allowed to keep it, but some folks prefer not to harm them. Google it up, believe it or not in Europe some of the bigger carps have their own names and people take pride in catching the same fish multiple times over the years.

It's true! Some of the fish are pretty unique

B
burlajohnny
flocaster said:
It's true! Some of the fish are pretty unique
Wow I just learned something new

B
burlajohnny