More techniques

K
kalan
DDR, here's a link to a basic sturgeon rig.

Last edited:
M
MbigcatchJ
never been crappie fishing, how do i set up rigs?

never been crappie fishing, how do i set up rigs?

I have never been crappie fishing and it looks like a lot of fun, im going to try it but dont know how to rig up my line.

C
cavdad45
Tie a 1/32oz tube jig directly to the end of your line. Place a bobber about 36" above that and cast it next to down trees, pilings, etc. The wind action should create enough movement to give your jig life. If nothing happens in a minute or two, drag the bobber toward you a couple feet and let the jig settle again. Repeat. If still nothing, move your bobber further from the jig and try again.

D
DDR
Cavdad gives some great tips there. One of my favorite techniques is with mini-tubes underneath a slip float. Everytime you give that line a tug, the tube starts darting around like it's meant to do.

One thing with crappies is that they are very much structure oriented. If you can find a place where there's a bend in the body of water with the structure, even better. For some reason they like corners.

C
cavdad45
Texas-rigged worms.

Tie a 4/0 or 5/0 worm directly to your line, no swivels, etc.

Take a plastic worm and run it through the head, right down the center and pull it out through the side about a 1/4 inch down.

Turn the hook around and, while keeping the worm straight imbed the point into the body. When it is finished the worm hangs straight and the hook is completely weedless. when a bass inhales the worm (they don't nibble or bite) you set the hook hard enough to cross his eyes. (Did I mention you need stout tackle on plastic baits?) The worm will then come through the worm and penetrate the fish's mouth.

L
liquidplumber
Boywhofishes said:
ok well now i'm in Eugene and i'm gonna spend tommorow fishing the delta ponds. :cool::cool:;)
Try to stay low to the ground so she can't see you and walk slowly when you approach. Be vewwy , vewwy qwite.You might try a floating rapala.When you toss it in , let it set for a while,dont do any thing .If nothing happens give it a little twitch and leave it there until all the rings are gone,do it twice.If you don't get nailed start retrieveing slow and then faster the fish will think it's getting away and will usally nail it.This works pretty good on glassy water.I have seen a dozen bass hovering underneath a plug wondering if it's food.Whatch out when it's just sitting there, dont set the hook until you feel pressure , You don't want to pull it out of it's mouth.Good luck.

S
SDK
I'll do you one better. Here is a step by step video...

YouTube - How to make a texas rig

There is also a Texas style hook with a weight and a small spring to hold the worm built right in. I'll pull one out of my tackle box and take a pic for you this evening...

Enjoy!
Scott

S
SDK
Hi Barb,

This is the other worm jig. This one is better suited to being worked vertically, like off of a boat or deep pier.

The first pic is the jig itself. Note the small spring coming off of the head. You just screw the head of the soft bait right into the spring. Pic 2 is the finished product all rigged up.

Enjoy!
Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
F
fishndad
everyone who loves lingcod and for the beginner who wants to catch em!

everyone who loves lingcod and for the beginner who wants to catch em!

this is by far my favorite fish to catch! in this thread i want to give all the beginners a chance to learn how to fish them.......we all had to start somewhere so lets help others get this far!

first off ill start with what to use!

for your rod i have 2 options, if your fishing in a channel use a shorter rod like a 6 1/2 - 7 1/2' ft rod with a good backbone! these fish are known to be rod breakers! find a reel that is most comfortable for u! dont go to cheap cause these fish know how to destroy equipment. for casting into a deep hole further from you i would suggest a 8-10 ft rod. and again dont go to cheap unless you want to keep buying rods and losing fish!

now for bait i would suggest fresh cut bait like anchovys smelt etc. ive caught a few on glow jigs the 6" rubbers with a 4 oz leadhead with a peice of squid or cutbait. use a very large line! i tend to use a braided line around 30-50lb test! so basicaly when you hook this fish dont let him head for the bottom. he will hang you up everytime. these arent a finnesse fish they are brute power so pull hard! anyone willing to add, lets help the others catch fish

Last edited:
A
ArcticAmoeba
Coon Shrimp rig.

Coon Shrimp rig.

Here is how we hook our Coon Shrimp. Very simple, but hard to explain without a visual. Here you go. Hit the second plate up, and thread the hook about midway into the meat. Bring it down towords yourself, and out through the top, center of the rear portion of the head. Then slip the tail through ther bait loop Simple, easy, and effective. We have found this to be the most preferred method of hooking these little bugs. Oh, and when running stingers, put these on the top hook, and run about an inch, inch and a half between the top and bottom hook. A corkie in between can either help or hurt these. They are already fairly bouyant, so the choice is yours. Water flow, and depth would determine corkie, or not.

T
tbox
Learning to tie my own baitloops has helped in more ways than one. I save myself from spending $$ on the pre-tied rigs, I use my favorite hooks and leadrr, PLUS I taught my girl how to tie baitloops, now I have about 50 pretied leaders ready for me in my leader holder. Its easy after you get the hang of it, i can pretty much tie em without looking.

F
Fisherman.Z.
side drifting

side drifting

ive used this two hook rig very successfully. its the gamakatsu rig with two hooks (i used size 1) tied about 2 inches apart, and a corky in the middle. take a bit of roe and loop the extra line from the knot around it, then hook in the bottom hook into it... then just drift it downstream from at a 45 degree angle going the same speed as the current. :dance: ( caught my first two steelies on it! look at my picture)

M
metalmania
This is my favorite way to run cork and yarn. Start by taking a drill with a drillbit the same diameter as the eye of the hook you intend to use, and drill about 1/3 through the corky at a slight angle. Then put your yarn of choice in the bait loop.

Then just slid the corky down the line while pulling on the line itself and the corky should fit over the hook eye and slightly onto the yarn. It takes a couple tries to master it, but it works well for me and you also don't need to peg the corky with a toothpick when you use it, plus it looks better. The pics are just an example and the bright line and large hook are just so you can see it better.

Reactions: Anyfishisfine
F
FishTastic
depends on water conditions, if fast and shallow use one small corkie, you want the bait in the fishes strike zone, for steelhead and inch above the river bottom is plenty in fast low water, the clearer the water the smaller corkie and hook you need to use, in clear low fast water I use a #4 hook and one tiny corkie usually a soft non threatening color. In deeper colored water you and use a larger #2 or #1 hook and a medium corkie or one medium and one small corkie. If corkie and yarn is not working for you try squids or a jig and bobber in the pools. even try spin n glows with a small hook and a rubber bass grub tail.