Moonshine Park

brandon4455

brandon4455

I and dad wanted to go steelhead & salmon fishing and had heard moonshine park was a great spot. We traveled all along the highway trying to find it for a good hour and a half with no success. This is a stupid question but.. can anyone give me some directions? And is there an easy access point to the gorge? I plan on hitting this river for summer steelhead and trout. And keep in mind I'm on the way to that river and I pitch on gas. So let me know if you need a fishing buddy ;) thanks in advance

brandon

Last edited:
R

RunWithSasquatch

Summit highway, take a right on the Logsden Highway, turns to gravel for a few miles, then back to pavement, continue west, right onto Moonshine Park rd, and it will go straight to the park. To far would equal taking the first bridge over the Siletz, and the Logsden store is on the left, immediately across the bridge. Turn around and go back across the bridge, take a left up river, and you're golden .Park takes a fee, and if you plan to just spend a day trip bank fishing, though there is a great hole at the park, I wouldnt bother with fishing it unless you plan to camp there. Just before you reach the park, is a large gravel mainline that parallels the Siletz, thats your ticket up the gorge. Take that road, and on the weekends, its legal access as high as you want to go. Week days its posted 1 mile up, but is good fishing access with park and walk in, or you may also cross wild cat bridge that crosses right at the sign, and there are a few holes down stream accessed from that side, or another gate that goes up stream from there that has a few holes to access.

brandon4455

brandon4455

holy s*** man think there is enough info there? LOL thanks so much for the help. ill have dad read it so he can see where he made his mistake and everything.

brandon

S

SantiamDrifter

You can google moonshine park and see the google map.

C_Run

C_Run

This year I "discovered" the Siletz. Don't know why I never went before but that upper area is great. I think RunWith Sasquatch's directions start off hwy 20 west of Philomath across from the Burnt Woods store where you go right towards Summit. So, you'd probably head out from Dallas on the Kings Valley hwy.
The brochure at the boat ramps says, regarding the gorge on weekdays, "bicycles and walk-in are welcome, but please use caution and yield to truck traffic." I went on a weekday a few weeks ago and can attest to the truck traffic part as there seemed to be a loaded log truck every couple of minutes and they don't stop for anything. The good part was that I was up there all day and had the whole place to myself. Did not see one other fisherman and went two for two plus some hefty trout slamming my spoon. Not bad for a novice steelheader like myself. I recommend it. Oh yeah, the other time I went I noticed other folks parking outside the park to save the $3 parking fee at Moonshine and fishing the bank through the park where there are some nice spots too.

C_Run

C_Run

Sorry....one more thing. I know there is a more direct, less mileage way to get to that area from Dallas involving going out through the old Valsetz site on back roads. My friend from Dallas goes that way but I don't know it. Get a good map of the county.

brandon4455

brandon4455

I've gone up valsetz road many times. I'm sure dad knows his way over. I've been up to the flats way up there at the old lake bed before. I'm pretty sure it's a straight shot instead of going all the way around.

R

RunWithSasquatch

Its a straight shot, but not an option when things dry out, Forest Capitol will have Valsetz locked down from fire danger when late spring/summer rolls around. Its probably only 15-20 minutes out of Valsetz to the Deadline. And again, only an option on Sat-Sun

G

GoldFishSlayer

turn right at boldget store not burnt woods from there you pretty much stay on the same road you will also see signs to moonshine I think everytime you need to turn love that place

A

alseaalumaweld

the end of logsten road if you hit gravle turn around and take the other road