Mercury EFI fuel leak

B
bythesea
Ive got an 02' merc 50hp efi 4stroke.its been sitting in the driveway for a few days in the down position I went out to check on boat today and noticed fuel had puddled up in rain water beneath the mtr looks like it's leaking just above lower end.could it be air in a line somewhere??? any Ideas???
Thanks,

T
TJR_84
On my 115mercury if i leave the fuel line connected pressure in the tank builds and sometime will leak gas due to the pressure in the tank.

E
eugene1
Another possibility is that it's not fuel but oil or grease that the rain had pushed out of the motor. A little bit of grease can leave a sheen on water. If it is fuel leaking out it could be from a loose fuel hose. Check your hose connections as vibrations can cause them to come loose, or split.

Good luck,

B
bythesea
eugene1 said:
Another possibility is that it's not fuel but oil or grease that the rain had pushed out of the motor. A little bit of grease can leave a sheen on water. If it is fuel leaking out it could be from a loose fuel hose. Check your hose connections as vibrations can cause them to come loose, or split.

Good luck,

I'm going to give it another look and put it back down now that it's dry cause I did just grease it up after taking it out of the water just before it rained I just did'nt think it would leave that big of a sheen.but makes sense,,,,checken. Thanks.

E
eugene1
no prob. Hope that is all that is going on with your engine! If it is fuel, you should be able to smell it if you get your nose close enough. If you got a puddle of suspected fuel, you can soak some up with a rag/ paper towel and give that a wiff. Good luck,

E
eugene1
hey, bythesea,

Just wondering what ever happened to your engine, any updates?

Best,

B
bythesea
eugene1 said:
hey, bythesea,

Just wondering what ever happened to your engine, any updates?

Best,

well,it rained like hell last night and no sheen this morning.actually not since I clean it a week ago.It's weird how it's just at that initial greasing.I'll know next time.now I have to go clean all the pine needles out of the boat. the wind blew em all up under the back drop...Thanks again,